OCR01582 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: I. Mors ego sum mortis"

No offense, but I had somewhat high hopes for this that weren't really being met--the piece seemed overly faithful to the original with an unconvincing chorus, and hampered by muddy production...until the last 2~ minutes, when the incredible rearranging just ran wild and floored me, making me dismiss the aforementioned concerns. A bit uneven overall, but what a fantastic finish.

Dancing Mad, everybody loves it, and so do I. I do have one problem though, I could not distinguish what the chorus was actually singing, thus, reducing the effect somewhat. it sounds sort of like listening to a chorus through ear muffs, I get a general idea of what it sounds like, but it's entirely unappealing and I'd rather take off the damn things and listen to a nice cleaner, crisper sound. Also, this may just be personal preference, but I think you didn't have enough focus on the lower voices, it's taken me quite a while to distinguish the fact that there even WERE voices in the lower ranges, and the spots where I could locate them were few and far between.

Absolutely AMAZING. Best remix of this I've heard, and that includes Uematsu's Black Mages' own version on their album. This is unbelievable.

Derek, any idea on when the next part will be ready? And where I'll be able to keep an eye on updates, in case it takes a while to be posted on here..

Derek, any idea on when the next part will be ready? And where I'll be able to keep an eye on updates, in case it takes a while to be posted on here..

Hello! As to your question about the future movements, I can tell you that they are already in the works but it's very early to say when they will be complete. We also don't want to rush anything because we want this suite to be fantastic all around. So in not so many words, I don't know lol.

-Derek-

I find it interesting that both the words "remix" and "rearrangement" are being used in this thread. This is not a remix, but it is a beautiful arrangement of a theme and variation. That point seems well done with just how closely the first part resembles the original, but with better instrumentation. It then seems to continue to repeat those themes with subtle arpeggiations and flourishes that polish the song off nicely. The song does end rather suddenly as others have mentioned. I wish I had the dough to get the equipment you must need to get such a high quality recording and such high quality samples (a fairly realistic sounding trumpet is virtually impossible, I'd rather just play the line myself sometimes!)

I dunno, I still like the Black Mages version better. No one can top Nobuo.

As far as REmixes, I'm still with Triforce Majeure as my favorite.

There's no doubt that this mix is cool and fun to listen to but there's just something about it. I hate leaving largely negative reviews but, what can I say, it's easier to write about our problems than our praises.

Anywho, maybe I'm just used to MiXers that crank everything up to the point where clipping and limiting are either apparent or held off by the smallest decibel percentage possible, but this "rearrangement" is too quiet. It's not even that it's all that quiet per se, it just somehow comes off as being far away; like somebody sat my speakers in the other room or something.

It's not bad though. I enjoy it. I'm probably just going to turn the master a bit.

this "rearrangement" is too quiet. It's not even that it's all that quiet per se' date=' it just somehow comes off as being far away; like somebody sat my speakers in the other room or something.

[/quote']

Thank you for your comments. I've gotten several messages with this as an issue so I will address it. We wanted to give the feel of a grand hall and you "the listener" sitting somewhere farther back. The reason that I didn't turn the volume up anymore was because I actually had to turn it down due to sound distortion. Believe it or not I was maxing out levels even with this volume level. I really don't understand why but maybe it has something to do with how I mixed the ambience in but at any rate it is what it is. Just turn up your speakers.. that should do the trick :) Thanks again for your comments.

-Derek-

kefka, the little guy grew up into a mix more then worth of his own name. Way to come from being a spicy chicken faced asshole to a empircal god, with a mix to support....nice mix, very enjoyable...but i agree with zircon....you should remix your remix....WHOA remixX2....waaaAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.kama ha maa.....how did i involve dbz? ha.

So it seems I am destined to return to this site to review. I had decided some time ago that my obsession with game music and their remixes was taking too much away from my life.

And now you go and craft this epic piece. Words truly fail me when I listen to this piece. Given the bit rate, I think this bit of music is as perfect as can be expected.

I'll be honest; I obtained this song as part of a mass "catching-up" that I initiated a day ago. As soon as I clicked play, I knew I had a Jeremy Robson piece. The orchestral section mixes perfectly with the choir. The pace of the song is stupendous. And it is one of the most powerful pieces I've heard in a long time. It's like the rare occasion when the product lives up to and surpasses the hype.

Both artists, Jeremy and Derek Oren, are incredibly skilled. Anyone who doubts this has not yet listened to this piece of art. I would look forward to hearing anything you two ever create. However, should that never happen, I think that this piece is more than enough to commemorate your collaboration.

Excellent work. 10 out of 10, hands down.

~Lord Syruss

I obtained this song as part of a mass "catching-up" that I initiated a day ago. As soon as I clicked play, I knew I had a Jeremy Robson piece. The orchestral section mixes perfectly with the choir. The pace of the song is stupendous. And it is one of the most powerful pieces I've heard in a long time. It's like the rare occasion when the product lives up to and surpasses the hype.

Given the bit rate, I think this bit of music is as perfect as can be expected.

Thank you for your very kind words. Jeremy and I are very pleased with the outcome of this and we appreciate everyone who listens to it. As far as the bitrate is concerned, if you look on the first page of reviews I posted a link to a HQ 320kbs. I'll show it here again.

Mors Ego Sum Mortis

Take care,

-Derek-

wow, this song is godly. I clicked it just thinking hey, that looks like a dancing mad mix (just looking at the Dancing part and it being an FFVI mix. When I finished listening to it I was just in awe. 10/10, can't wait for the next part.

There's no doubt that this mix is cool and fun to listen to but there's just something about it. I hate leaving largely negative reviews but' date=' what can I say, it's easier to write about our problems than our praises.

Anywho, maybe I'm just used to MiXers that crank everything up to the point where clipping and limiting are either apparent or held off by the smallest decibel percentage possible, but this "rearrangement" is too quiet. It's not even that it's all that quiet per se, it just somehow comes off as being far away; like somebody sat my speakers in the other room or something.

It's not bad though. I enjoy it. I'm probably just going to turn the master a bit.[/quote']

Agreed. This is exaclty what I came here to say.

I love the song.

Unfortuantly... I listen to this song in the car and I gotta crank up the volume... then crank it back down before the next song blows out my speakers.

I'm very impressed, and disapointed at the same time.

What i do like. The choir, the seriousness of the song, the effort. Howeva,

I wish this song was re-mastered to have more OOMPH, more kick, clarity, volume.

I had Nobuo Uematsu's Black mages version in my playlist right after this, and his version just blows me away, in all the right places.

The Cantata for Dancing: I. Mors ego sum mortis version is like hearing one of the coolest arrangements with digital tampons in my ears.

Seriously, great work, but I so badly want the muddy, vague curtain thats preventing it from being A+ to be lifted. For the sake of.... ruining All girls underwear in the world. I think thats a good cause. Dont you. :)

FYI the volume thing can't be easily fixed in Audacity. The track is only 1.4db off from being completely normalized. That's not the "problem" (not sure if it can really be considered a problem), but rather that the dynamic range (or the volume difference between the quietest and loudest parts) is quite large. Compression is a form of dynamic processing that reduces dynamic range, but it's something best left to whoever made the song, rather than using external tools on an MP3.

Until then... just turn up your volume. :)

Attention everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I have updated the mix. This new mix will touch on the volume issue and will have much MUCH better sound quality. So I hope that everyone likes it. Just so you know. It's supposed to be a little softer at the begining, but it gets louder throughout the piece. Like most orchestral music it's going to be softer than any other type of music. So you will have turn up your speakers in contrast to other songs.

Enjoy!!

-Derek-

Awesome work derako!.. I hear stuff much better in the last version. its also the 320 rate version.

This might work: did for in in firefox.

copy and paste this into your browser.. add the http:// at the beginning

uploadfile2.putfile.com/getfile/11809-2b7a-037a-059-70912video47360sslash15303023015.mp3

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01582 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: I. Mors ego sum mortis"