OCR01582 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: I. Mors ego sum mortis"

That's really great news. I love this piece, and can't wait to hear more of your combined efforts.

Also, the person talking about the blip at, what 2:15, is right. I do hear something, whether it's supposed to be there or not, I don't know, but I did hear what he was talking about. There is actually a softer one at 3:59. But agian, it could just be the music and it stands out to me.

~Syruss

So here I was, updating my OCR list. It's a pretty multitask-heavy activity, but when I ran into this, it came to a screeching halt.

I must say that technically, this is the most impressive electronically produced orchestral piece I have ever heard. Hands down. Jeremy Seoule has nothing on you Derek :)

Greatly looking forward to the next movements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals. A number of my posts were moved to another forum since they didn't really have anything to do with the first movement. So if you want updates on how the second movement is going, please go to the following link:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11353

I'll do a weekly update until the 2nd movement is submitted to the judges.

-Derek-

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys and gals. A number of my posts were moved to another forum since they didn't really have anything to do with the first movement. So if you want updates on how the second movement is going, please go to the following link:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11353

I'll do a weekly update until the 2nd movement is submitted to the judges.

-Derek-

YES. I wait with much anticipation for part II. This is pretty much how I dreamed Dancing Mad would sound if orchestrated. Excellent, excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize that this arrangement is a little old for commenting, but I want to anyway because I love this piece, as well as the second.

First off, let me say that when the choir first came in, I felt a tingle in my ears and down my spine. Prolly because I have never heard a remix use a choir that sounded this realistic... in fact, it DOES sound like I'm sitting in the back of a concert hall listening to this being performed! However...

My favorite part of Dancing Mad is the final part of Movement One... where the piece picks up with the dramatic hits and so forth... For some reason (maybe my ears are just broken) at 1:42 when the xylophone comes in to play those (sixteenth-note?) runs, it seems to just barely lag behind the beat... I mean, just barely. But then around 1:46 when the xylophone stops and the strings play a more dominant quarter-note rhythm, whatever time was lost gets picked back up... After that... well, it's just back to being perfect.

Thanks for this wonderful submission!

• 2 months later...

Well since I listened to the second movement first I thought I would listen to the one that started it and wow you guys this is amazing. I mean yes in both pieces you can tell that they were made with samples but were you trying to hide that? To a person without a trained ear you couldn't tell the difference... Anyways props to both of you for putting so much hard work into these pieces of music. They have enriched my life and inspired me and that takes a lot. Much love to both of you.

Laura

• 4 months later...

What a great arrangement! That was absolutely epic, magic and simply amazing. It's hard to believe... How did you compose this song? This game makes me so nostalgic, this is one of my favourite song from this OST, and I also like Kefka's character. Great use of choir, in the second part I loved the use of organ (my favourite instrument). I recently devote time to music, especially classical music, video games music and I learn the piano, that's why I have a long trail to clock up your skill and your level.

You have a great talent, I was waiting for a piece like this for years. I wish you good cheer for your next compositions. ;-)

(Sorry for my possible spelling errors, I am french :razz:)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

*snaps fingers*

The Fire Temple from Ocarina of Time.

It just hit me. This mix, at least the intro, reminds me of the Fire temple from OoT.

Very epic mix and highly temple worthy.

I would love to see this performed by a full live orchestra plus a choir of substantial size.

That would be the Coolest Thing Evar! :shock:

That's really great news. I love this piece, and can't wait to hear more of your combined efforts.

Also, the person talking about the blip at, what 2:15, is right. I do hear something, whether it's supposed to be there or not, I don't know, but I did hear what he was talking about. There is actually a softer one at 3:59. But agian, it could just be the music and it stands out to me.

~Syruss

I hear it @ 2:15 and 3:59 also. It's an unmistakable sound. The first time was loud as hell and forgivable, the second time was... whatever. Quality control is essential is what I'm getting at. However, If I'm just hearing things, feel free to bash me or something. I'm pretty sure I hear the error sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Lucentas said:

This. Arrangement. Is. Epic.

I would love to see this performed by a full live orchestra plus a choir of substantial size.

I think everyone in the audience would die from the awesomeness though.

I totally agree! I didn't know these two ReMixes even existed (because, due to being numbered over 1500, they weren't in the torrents) until I looked at the Dancing Mad page on the FFWiki, where it lists these two (along with waxingeloquent's two). And I'm so glad I've found them, because they are incredible. We deffo need more of these!

Live performance would be cool, but I think the audience would more than die... they'd all probably a splode!

Oh, and what are the "blips" at 2:15 and 3:59? I couldn't hear them. Has the ReMix been reuploaded with it fixed, or am I playing it far too quietly? :P

• 11 months later...

This is a very good remix. Truly something that Kefka, in his egotism, would think he is worthy of. However, I have taken Latin in college, and I have a few comments about the lyrics.

The first comment, I will admit, is a bit nit-picky. "Lacrimosa" is translated as "mournful tear." However, lacrimosa is an adjective; it simply means "mournful" or "tearful." You'd need two words to get "mournful tear." "Lacrima lacrimosa" would do the trick (and it's alliterative, too).

The second however, is an actual question.

The third line reads in Latin: "Tu suscipe pro animabus illis".

The English translation reads: "whom today we commemorate."

Could anyone please tell me how you get one from the other? Unless I am mistaken, "suscipe" is the imperative of "suscipio," meaning "undertake," "support", or "receive". So a translation of the Latin would be something like, "You, undertake for these people's souls."

The second however, is an actual question.

The third line reads in Latin: "Tu suscipe pro animabus illis".

The English translation reads: "whom today we commemorate."

Could anyone please tell me how you get one from the other? Unless I am mistaken, "suscipe" is the imperative of "suscipio," meaning "undertake," "support", or "receive". So a translation of the Latin would be something like, "You, undertake for these people's souls."

Hmm.. I guess my Latin translation needs some work eh? :)!!

• 4 months later...

I was just about to ask about the lyrics and how they pertain to Kefka (I haven't actually played the game, but I know the story more or less). Genius had some interesting light to shed on it. "You, undertake for these people's souls"? Hm. Does that fit Kefka? I dunno. But it sounds like it fits Satan well.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some original accents to this, but overall it felt a little too similar to the original for a good duration. The sequencing was all really good, and the vocals sounded really good. That wordbuilder is a total pain in the ass to use, so mad props from me. Seems like the words at 3:45 were a little behind the beat, but otherwise it was synched well. The instrumental runs were well handled, and there is a distinct flair in the arrangement, but I almost wish this was performed live, as the samples don't seem good enough for this type of writing.

Regardless, pretty damn epic, you guys should be proud of your work. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01582 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: I. Mors ego sum mortis"