Search by genre

evanarnett

I'm not sure how long ago that part of the FAQ was written, but I know the idea of tags has been floated by several people (check out this thread, for starters), and without having talked to him, I'd guess djp is probably not as averse to having functional tags rather than genre tags; something that objectively describes the song (violins, synths, vocals) rather than labelling it with a genre which could be contentious. You can practically already do searches on write-ups to get all the mixes where a certain instrument is mentioned, so using tags would just facilitate that.

Bingo. Well, sign me up for helping with that, then.

suggestion: if you feel that passionately about putting things into tiny little boxes, nobody's stopping you from making your own website listing the remixes and providing either your own categorizations and/or a user-driven tagging system. obviously it might not get as much traffic as if it were integrated on the ocremix.org site, but it would work just as well in terms of doing what you're envisioning. but you better have quite the supply of patience for the endless stream of irresolvable flamewars about proper use of terminology that would land at your feet.

Since this would take a lot more time and technological know-how than what I offered to do, it's not really possible for me right now. If others out there would be willing to help I would totally do it. Flame wars wouldn't be a problem because there need be no public forum on a simple remix index site :)

suggestion: if you feel that passionately about putting things into tiny little boxes, nobody's stopping you from making your own website listing the remixes and providing either your own categorizations and/or a user-driven tagging system. obviously it might not get as much traffic as if it were integrated on the ocremix.org site, but it would work just as well in terms of doing what you're envisioning. but you better have quite the supply of patience for the endless stream of irresolvable flamewars about proper use of terminology that would land at your feet.

Somebody did that already. It failed.

Again, it wouldn't prevent people from trying a lot of things. It would allow them to find things for a specific playlist or purpose quickly, which would be quite useful.

Frankly I'm astonished by how strongly people feel that tags are bad. It's just convenient.

Ha. I thought I remembered him saying something like that but I did a quick scan through Morse's thread and didn't see it so I thought I'd made it up. :razz:

I also remember Shariq, Dave & I talking in #judges later about it while attempting to hash out details and then quickly realizing how much we still hated the idea for the specific reasons in the FAQ. :lol: Worth noting that genre or taxonomic labels might encourage people to check out ReMixes from games they're not interested in. Feel free to debate where the effect of labels is greater, i.e. encouraging or discouraging listening to more ReMixes.

I'm surprised to see links in this thread to djp floating the idea of genre tagging around. This is such a good thing! I'd like to extrapolate on why this is a good thing to encourage the people working here to implement it :)

If genre-tagging is implemented it will make it easier for users to find remixes they want to hear, and therefore they will download more remixes. A new (pay attention to the word "new" here) user who downloads a remix they don't like is less likely to come back to this website. Each time they find content they don't want they are more likely to close the browser window. On the flipside, if OCR offered genre identification, a new user would be able to quickly locate a large selection of remixes that they will probably enjoy. Then, and here's the beauty of it, it's very plausible that the user will realize that there are remixes in dozens of other genres here too, and when they feel up to it, they will choose to explore those genres as well.

Giving the user the ability to find exactly what they're looking for is the guiding principle of webdesign because it means that user will have a positive experience with the website and will likely come back to browse it again.

Obviously I'm not talking about the hardcore, anything goes, super-avid video game music fans who listen to everything that gets uploaded here. They're going to keep doing that irregardless. I'm talking about making the website easier to use for newcomers, which (in light of the increased publicity/exposure OCR has gotten lately) must be coming here in bigger numbers than ever before.

Something else that's worth considering- the way OCR is designed right now, when a remix is posted on the front page, that is when it is going to get the most exposure and therefore the most downloads. After it disappears off the front page, it vanishes into this "vault" of thousands of alphabetized remixes where basically you have to hope a user will stumble across it in their search for remixes from a specific game. If OCR were to implement genre tags, suddenly those thousands of back-logged remixes become obviously more accessible.

Power to the users!

I realize the only (good) reason you (staff) don't want to implement genre identifcation is because you want users to experience a variety of different kinds of music. Well.. (aside from the fact that this isnt what average people want) I just had an idea that could enable this in an especially powerful way.

Playlists!

It's a rough brainstormed idea but why not allow judges, remixers and users to post playlists of music? With the press of a button several songs could be queued up in some sort of browser-embedded player (or otherwise) that could explore many styles of remixes, without requiring the user to do any extra work. Surely there are people in this community who would appreciate how the unique quality of a playlist influences the listeners' mood and allows them to expose themselves to new kinds of music that would otherwise meet the fastforward key.

Just a thought, I'll let everyone else take it from there..

I specifically don't download every mix, because I know if it isn't predominantly in a minor-sounding mode, I won't like it. As a result, I usually only listen to mixes based on games from which I'm familiar with and do enjoy the original material.

Here's an inconsistency: we're pretty open to the "I'm looking for this type of music" threads, but we're against genre labelling. Pick a side, gentlemen.

What would be nice is if there were a "sounds like" field next to each mix, and the listeners could post a quick message there like a shout-out box. "Sounds like dark trance with electronic elements!"

Then you avoid all of the people who complain about genre labelling, and they can find another trivial subject to pitch a bitch about.

DarkeSword explained the apparent inconsistancy.

I also like the playlist idea, especially if it was easy to download the playlist data and use it in iTunes or your music player of choice. Dunno how compatible playlist formats are, tho.

Of course, someone would have to code the playlist into the database, someone would have to verify that the playlists contain what they're supposed to, someone would ahve to update the playlist database, etc...

The idea is great. I would gladly share some playlists once I get the fixed files from the new torrent. Wonder how hard it'd be to get this integrated into the site... and if it should be.

edit: btw, isn't this a site issues & feedback -type thread?

hello all,

i was wondering if the site has considered adding tags to the remixes to indicate genre?

djpretzel would feel lonely having the only piece in the hillbilly genre.

. . .

anyway i think people who come here are aware of what video game music is and come for particular remix of a particular game, rather that let' check for techno.

I realize the only (good) reason you (staff) don't want to implement genre identifcation is because you want users to experience a variety of different kinds of music. Well.. (aside from the fact that this isnt what average people want) I just had an idea that could enable this in an especially powerful way.

Playlists!

It's a rough brainstormed idea but why not allow judges, remixers and users to post playlists of music? With the press of a button several songs could be queued up in some sort of browser-embedded player (or otherwise) that could explore many styles of remixes, without requiring the user to do any extra work. Surely there are people in this community who would appreciate how the unique quality of a playlist influences the listeners' mood and allows them to expose themselves to new kinds of music that would otherwise meet the fastforward key.

Just a thought, I'll let everyone else take it from there..

Good idea. if the blog system is implemented why not allowing Judge, remixer (or even user) to have a small playlist too? It's maybe interesting to know what the people in your friendlist listen.

i really support the idea of having tags for tracks - even beyond genres, being able to tag a track as 'saxophone' or 'vocal' or 'ken ardency drumset' (lol) and then look up all the vocal mixes when you're in the mood would be awesome. i wish that stuff like itunes had a tagging feature, too, for personal listening.

playlists would be awesome, too.