Search by genre

evanarnett

• 2 weeks later...

What is this threads tagging business? Have we finally succumbed to the general public's cravings to be able to browse mixes by genre? I seem to be able to find rock remixes by finding a thread with a "rock" tag in the reviews forum...

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/tags.php?tag=rock

I don't care, personally, but if this is an unwanted side effect of an otherwise very useful feature...

• 2 months later...

I have a question:

Is there an option here on OC ReMix where you can search songs by genre? I know you can search by artist, game and composer.

But what if I like how one song sounds like, and want to hear others like it?

Does this site have it this option?:?:

Long story short, ocremix's concept is one wherein favouritism is supposed to be hindered and diminished. If we suddenly put up a rap, metal, and techno section people would scream: "where's my breakbeat/dance/polka!?"

Also; generally speaking, the songs are too varied to fall under genre specifications easily. Which genre would zelda on a Heineken bottle fall under?

The FAQ doesn't entirely reflect the views held by djp and other staff today... I'm in the process of tagging mixes by genre, instruments, and other descriptors.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/search.php

Check out the tag cloud at the bottom of that page for some search terms. Right now, the search is not that advanced, but it can find you all the guitar mixes that have been tagged so far, for example.

I'm all up for broadening my horizons (you should see my iPod library: rock, classic, polka, new age, rap, etc.). It'd just be nice if I could see a song, see it's genre and say "Hey, I feel like listening to a little *insert genre(s)*. I'd still hear anything, but it'd be great help if, for say, you're looking for something specific. Makes sense, right?

• 2 months later...

Hi

Iv always found it strange that there is no genre field in a songs data. It would be useful to know when searching for something new to listen to. You could also group and search songs by genre.

Iv worked on sites and databases before and I don't think it would be too hard to implement (although I don't know how you have your system set up). The only issue could be getting all the artists to fill in the data themselves.

Hope you think about it.

They're waay ahead of you. Don't think they've tagged everything yet tho, and it's not the mixes themselves that are tagged, just their review thread (and no direct link from review thread to remix, unfortunately).

Tho artists filling out the tags themselves is a stupid idea. :P Then there'd be stuff tagged "epic" and "awesome" and "lol" and "shtyjdgfgts" and "oc" and stuff... Like on youtube. ;)

Genres officially will not be integrated into song data or the site, just the more generic tags. Here's why.

OC ReMix has no intentions of categorizing pieces by genre. We've discussed this matter several times - what it boils down to is a feeling that:

* There are many pieces that don't fit nicely into genres or have multiple genres, and putting them in "miscellaneous" and "multiple" categories would be kind of lame; and

* Part of the purpose of the site is to open people's minds (and ears) to new horizons. Try everything. If all you want to do is download Square techno, so be it, but you'll be missing out on tons of great songs. We've decided not to implement a system that would encourage that kind of navigation.

A third reason could potentially be that djpretzel would feel lonely having the only piece in the hillbilly genre, but we think the first two reasons are strong enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a really good idea. I've already found several new favourite songs by deciding "I'll play songs from this tag today".

Because I found the forum tag browser to be a little cumbersome (no ability to search by multiple tags, for example), I decided to write a little website to facilitate this.

http://kieranclancy.com/ocrtags/

At the moment (about a day after I started writing it), it supports:

- Showing a list of remixes with links to the main remix page and forum thread

- Filtering by any number of tags

- Ability to exclude any number of tags

- View untagged remixes

- Downloadable m3u playlists for any set of filters

- Ability to search for 'similar' remixes to any remix based on tags

I hope that this can be a sort of proof-of-concept for some cool things that tagging remixes will allow. Whether you feel in the mood for 'sad+piano' or 'guitar+chiptune', I hope you can have some fun listening to different combinations of tags.

Please let me know if you find this site to be useful, or if you have any other feedback.

Thanks,

codebeard.

PS: I manually run a script which scrapes any modified tags (in an efficient way), so don't expect any modifications to appear until I remember to run my script.