OCR00748 - Final Fantasy VI "Ruined Skies"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy VI 'Ruined Skies'

Very interesting piece of work. The background strings sound too "apart" from the beat to me, and because of this feel repetitive. Then again they do carry the mix quite well once they are overpowered by the volume of the rest of the song. Cut out and come back in at perfect times. Enough about the strings, the rest of the mix, is excellent. And I love the violin and the drums themselves. Great piece of music, orkybash.

well this remix sure is an interesting take on the ff6 soundtrack. its definitely original. i like this more than some of the other ff6 remixes but it does feel a bit repetitive after a while but thats okay. now noone can complain about all the ff6 remixes sounding the same though :)

Yep, I got the feeling there might actually be too much ff6 on this site. After that I shot myself and said, "This is ff6 we are talkin about!" The game from my childhood that I thought would make tons of good mixes when I first visited here. The string sample at 2:27 reminded me of this for some reason, probably because that's the first time the melody really kicks in.

I'd like to compliment on the title for the mix. It fits really appropriately with everything used here; especially the bassline. I can agree with djp on the guitar, but how could you have ruin without guitars? It all falls back on the title for me. (Don't mess with World of Ruin's knowledge on ruin! ...AAAAH! I'M SORRY!)

One final thing. Being 6:06 minutes long, it sure doesn't feel like it! This song seems over right when it starts. Weird.

I didn't like the very beginning of the song too much... but somewhere along the line it picked up (Wish I was listening more closely, I'd tell you the exact time where the transition happened)... the rest of the song was great though. Much slower than the original piece... actually, this is how I play it on the piano... Good job.

This is actually my new favorite remix... it has a dpeth, its dramatic, even dark, but there is that hint of hope that was present in every FF6 songs.

The instruments are perfect for the feeling of the song, and the background sounds like the wind create a great effect.

It just brings so many feelings at once... its a unique experience...

And yes, I am aware I sound like an crazy fan.... but I have it in a loop in my surround sound... max volume... I want this song in my head for ever.

I can see it now. Final Fantasy 6, the Movie. Thats what this song makes me feel when I listen to it. At some points, I couldn't tell where in the game it comes from, but it really didn't matter, cause several parts sounded familiar. This song is good. Very good. I have no complaints. Bravo, Bravo! 10 out of 10 stars.

It starts good. Slow and quiet play the piece. I haven't anything about this but I miss a climax. It is no difference in it and sometimes the original sound don't suit to the remix content. However I like the remix content and give a better mark for the remix :)

6/10 (1=worst; 10=best)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

step 1: adjust your volume to the Max position

it makes all the difference, trust me. your hardcore/progressive style is something to be admired and i respect the fact that you add it to FF music, Orkybash. the Mood of this song r0x0rz

pick up Orkybash’s Final Fantasy VII - Doomed World and Seiken Densetsu 3 - Few Paths Forbidden for more

• 3 months later...

Well the first thing that sstrikes me is that its too repetetive.

And not by a little, by a lot.

Not that it was a bad track or anything, but after a few times through I found myself thinking "okay, now for the next track, an...okay theres more..."

Okay, personally...when you play it first time through on the piano, it...it SCREAMS to be grander. Maybe playing it on a lower octave as well or giving it some extra reverb or something...it sounds empty.

Second time round...

I quite enjoy the flute instrument used, also the distorted violin. They work pretty good and I'd rather the remix was much shorter and carried on these two, with backing by the electric guitar, which plays the third time round.

I love this guitar...it sounds a little...high I guess, at times anyways and could do with being lower.

The sine wave that plays on its own with the strings and backing synths I could have done without...and it doesnt get much better when the violin comes in and pretty much drowns it out.

And the ending!

¿What happened to the ending?

It would have been so much better if you'd have let that final piano note just ride out over few seconds instead of stopping dead.

Overall I like the piece though...I just think it could have been so much better.

• 4 months later...

Great! I love the way you've changed the original emotion conveyed in "Ruined Skies" from a somewhat dismayed tune to a slow, powerful tune... That guitar really backs that power up, too,... it shows real talent when you can take an instrument like the electric guitar and use it to convey a subtle, less "stand-out" emotion that the guitar normally brings. Love that wind towards the end! Just like the original song,... except yours is better wind! :-P

And then there's the end,.. with that final note. I'm hangen', I really am! It feel like you've built up a great thing and then plopped it down in our laps! Great song, but I think a really strong ending would have suited it! Keep it up! ;)

• 7 months later...

(My first post! Yippee!)

It's pretty good, but I have three major complaints:

Alot of it sounds as though the notes and rhythms are in place but lacking emotional touches, leading most instruments to sound like a synth when they shouldn't. This is fine for the backbeat and bass, but an orchestra and such should not sound so processed. The piece sounds, except for the high quality of some samples, as though it could have come straight out of the game. Maybe that effect is intentional.

There isn't enough build-up before changes. We go through so many bars of this and then move on to so many bars of this with a very quick transition thrown in here and there. This aids in causing a repetitive feeling in the remix. This feeling may be purposeful considering a steady dance beat drives most of the song.

Some of the solo instruments, be it because of the synth-like sound or what is played is rather mundane, are not convincing. This is sort of a restating of point #1: the piece needs more emotion in instrumentation. The piano is especially boring.

Overall, the remix is a good piece that is definitely listenable. It just doesn't sound quite finished or engage the listener enough.

• 2 months later...

Pretty cool mix. I have to say the choruses in the background really had some emotion to the mix. I am realing digging the drum loop. And the piano work sounds pretty damn good, except the end. The abrupt end sort of shocked me, I expected that last key to ride out. Anyway, on to more good stuff. Ruined Sky is the name, and I think the mix keeps it real to it's name, it sounds like there is some anguish going on. Overall, I think this is a good mix.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the attitude in this mix. It´s like watching a conversation with the characters. First it´s just some

talk over the situation or something like it, but when it all continues, it gets more seriouse, like they have decided to stop the madman and bring peace and love and creditscrolls to everybody.

That´s what I think anyway. Nice work orky! :mrgreen:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

That piano reminds me of something; some platformer I haven't played in years and can only remember vague things about.... >.<

Still, its good, gothic, and ambient. One can pick out the tension underlying the mix. Bittersweetfully sorrowful yet purposeful.

I like this; there seems to be a lot going on here.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00748 - Final Fantasy VI "Ruined Skies"