Chrono Trigger: Schala's Theme [WIP]

Dj Phe

You know, this is a real original angle that you're taking this song Dr Phe, it's really good, but 3/4 through the song, the synth's are off key :S, then again I have an ear for the "right key" that may not suite every one else. It ends too abrubtly and in most cases would not be accepted by the judges, perhaps IMO again. But the most solid thing you have down is how each new part of the song eases in, without sounding out of place or random. Good luck mate :D

Briefly, I never liked Schala's theme and neither any remix of it. However, yours got some interesting feeling... maybe with further development I might like it! =)

But your ending (2:40-) is really bad... I'm just a listener, and I could notice it was off-key, which I (guess I) couldn't before.

Okay, here we go.

-The beginning of the song sounds like you're coming into the middle of a song break. Try to build into what you have.

-The lone kick drum is pretty cliche. Get some more drums going.

-The staccato synth playing the melody should be changed. It doesn't fit at all.

-I like the first little break, but it's short and a bit jarring when that staccato synth comes back in.

-Ah, more drum elements, but they're too repetitive.

-Get everything in the same key!

This is very repetitive. The lack of dynamic changes and static chord progression make it boring to listen to. The synths could also be better. You need little builds to keep the listener's attention or else it becomes background music. Keep working on this, though. You're remixing a great song and I like the ideas you have here.

Okay, here we go.

-The beginning of the song sounds like you're coming into the middle of a song break. Try to build into what you have.

-The lone kick drum is pretty cliche. Get some more drums going.

-The staccato synth playing the melody should be changed. It doesn't fit at all.

-I like the first little break, but it's short and a bit jarring when that staccato synth comes back in.

-Ah, more drum elements, but they're too repetitive.

-Get everything in the same key!

This is very repetitive. The lack of dynamic changes and static chord progression make it boring to listen to. The synths could also be better. You need little builds to keep the listener's attention or else it becomes background music. Keep working on this, though. You're remixing a great song and I like the ideas you have here.

I totally agree!

A bit more drums would be cool... maybe some jazz or funk genre style drumming... keep it simple but not repetitive.

Fully agree here as well.... try easing it in and build it up. Having that synth kick right back in is very jarring.

The end was very off IMHO also. I could tell that prehaps you were trying to "break it down" for some kinda ending solo (or atleast thats the impression I got) but it just didn't entirly work out...

I am a big Chrono Trigger fan also and am very familiar with the source tune.

However I'm also just a listener...

I've decided to rework the song. I'm going to change the instruments and give a groove feel to it. Give me a little time. :)

I also do agree that the drum is a little bland, I'm also working on all of that too.