OCR00753 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Pachelbel's Ganon"

Joe Redifer

djp should've gone the extra mile and added "in D" to the end.

i like the mellowness of the piece - it's peaceful, yet melancholy solemnity embodies the somber aspect of the zelda legacy.

or looking at it from another perspective, it captures the tragedy of ganon (assuming there is any) - - ganondorf, who we assume was once good, has been marred by the desire for power...or something like that...

okay..maybe the piece doesn't lend itself to that at all - i was just trying to come up with something unique..

anyway - the blend of the melodies, instruments, harmonies - very well done. i hope to be able to do half as well as this someday.

• 3 weeks later...

When I got to this site, I figured this would all be rocking, dancing mixes. That's a cool idea and all, but what about those times when I just want to chill out and relax? That's where songs like this come into play. This is a nice smooth, relaxing remix that would almost be depressing if I had something to be depressed about.

Note: If you have recently been dumped, don't listen, as it will most likely make you sad. This song just has a very calm, sad sort of mellowness to it. It almost sounds like something out of "Gladiator" with the wing instruments used in the song. I don't know what happens in the game when you hear this song, but I kept picturing a death scene or something sad.

That said, don't think this is just a mega sad song. It isn't. I am just saying it can be. The melody is easy to interpret anyway you like. Overall, this is a beautiful remix that leaves me in awe of the talent that this OCR has brough to the internet.

This is an awesome remix; But I have one little issue with it...

Why is it called "Pachelbel's Ganon?" Not anywhere in this remix did I hear anything resembling Pachelbel's Canon. Not in the chord progression, or the notes.

To me, this is just an emotional jazzy remix of Zelda's Lullaby, which is great; I just don't hear Pachelbel's Canon.

This is an awesome remix; But I have one little issue with it...

Why is it called "Pachelbel's Ganon?" Not anywhere in this remix did I hear anything resembling Pachelbel's Canon. Not in the chord progression, or the notes.

To me, this is just an emotional jazzy remix of Zelda's Lullaby, which is great; I just don't hear Pachelbel's Canon.

During the chorus, there is indeed a cello playing the melody from Pachelbel's Canon. It's not the same chord progression, obviously, but it "works" as a faint counter-melody regardless. You have to listen pretty close to pick it out, but it's there.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why I love this mix. It could be the fact that Pachebel's Canon is one of my favorite songs, it could be the fact that I love Zelda's Lullaby, or maybe the electrical classical feel that I've only ever heard in this song. Most likely, it's a combination of the above three, a fast-paced hip-hop classical jazz thing that can only be described if you hear it. Regardless, this mix has a great feeling to the music, all the instuments sound good, and it's very emotional. What can I say, but: Good job, DJ, you've created one of my favorite mixes on the entire site! Some people may not like it, but I love it (which, now that I've checked most of the reviews, doesn't seem true). I like the chorus part of Pachebel's Canon in the beginning that is very evident, but it's there later, just harder to find.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first heard about this site through the Dirty Mario Remix flash, I went pretty much directly to the Zelda section and downloaded everything there. For some reason Pachelbel's Ganon didn't catch my sight until later, because I was mostly looking for familiar tunes, and I only gave it one listen until I gave a friend them all, and he told me Pachelbel's Ganon was his favorite. Yeah.

I've been quite addicted to it ever since, about four months later I'm still listening to it almost on a daily basis. It's just the epitome of everything great. A few weeks ago me and the above friend were at a Best Buy, I think it was and we heard the song playing in the stereo section. I don't think the song can get enough credit.

Unfortunately, most people I give it to, they put it down quite easily saying that it sounds nothing like Pachelbel's Canon and just disregard it like that. 'Tis a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I just realized, I never came an gave homage to this song...and I've had for like 6 months!!! 8O

At any rate, this is absolutely my favorite song, it's perfect for keeping me sane while I'm at work. Absolutely the best Remix out there, and shows why DJP is the master of this site :)

Wow, I just realized, I never came an gave homage to this song...and I've had for like 6 months!!! 8O

I’m also guilty of not paying my respects to what is one of my all time, if not favourite OC ReMixes. This track has been out for almost a year and I got it pretty much on release.

It’s an absolutely beautiful example of what you can do with allot of creative know-how. The two themes work so well together, and talk about your killer chorus.

All the instrumentation is this is first rate, I still can’t believe how good it sounds. It’s just one of those tracks that will always have a special place to me.

Oh, and I was going to review this, I’m simply taking advantage of a wonderful coincidence. :)

• 2 months later...

Heh heh, this IS pretty sweet stuff. I never checked it out before, cuz I'm a bastard like that, but I must say this is good stuff. I think it's the concept of combining all these songs and changing them and such and the way they were pulled off that makes this song so awesome. The main problem I have is 1:53-2:13 where the piano and guitar are sort of dilly-dallying around. They both pull off these very soloistic runs and things at the same time and it sounds very dissonant. Other than that, this is a great mix that really is a part of OCR's history.

Beautiful. One word. That's all I can say. This actually means alot considering I rarely use this word. When I hear something good I usually say "nice", "sweet", "tight", "catchy", but this this is just in a league of its own. I mean, I never wanted to play an instrument, but hearing the first cello, made me want to play one and play this part of the song(I haven't learned how to it just made me want to learn). Oh man, it's so emotional I love it. To me, it's a relaxing, kind of depressing, piece of tune. It adapts to so many different stories and scenes. Like you can picture somebody that just broke up with their mate, and their sitting on a bench in the middle of a park, with a light shower falling from the sky. Truly a masterpiece. Of course, it has that awesome chorus that makes it a mysterious tune, and makes me want to be a tenor instead of a bass so I can hum along...I can go on and on and on about this song. Excellent job djpretzel, I recommend making more remixes with this atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it as dumb as your atrocious spelling? Heh... Is atrocious too big of a word for you as well? Twit... heh anyways, ignore the person who previously said the denouncing stuff regarding this remix... why? The reason is that it really is quite good! It's really, really, really calming making me... almost... doze... off... into... a calmfull... blis-

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00753 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Pachelbel's Ganon"