wii needs MOAR RAM

you people are testy. I was just wondering.

the links from google are sketchy and mostly useless. that is why I asked this forum since maybe one of the many geeks here would have personal experience regarding its abilities and limitations.

and even though the output is crap, it's still awesome to use it to watch youtube videos and such.

I'm a modder.

No, you can't add RAM to a Wii, or change the hardware much. Even if you could, the Wii browser KNOWS how much ram the Wii has, it doesn't just fill up what's available. Don't think of the Wii as a computer, the hardware is FIXED, so even if you did change it and it somehow worked, you'd realize no benefit.

Also, homebrew on the Wii is still limited to the homebrew that ran on the Gamecube. You can run emulators and such, but not much else. There is DVD homebrew available, I believe, though I haven't tried it. It requires a somewhat elaborate GC-Linux setup where you network it to a computer using the ethernet adapter addon and use the computer's hard drive to store the linux OS and software, as you can't use the DVD drive for that when you want to play a DVD. Oh, and you'd need to casemod a GC to fit full size DVDs.

All in all, hacking media player stuff to a Wii or GC is not worth it. 360 and PS3 do it out of the box.

Once *True* Wii homebrew software is able to be hacked onto the console, when an exploit is found, then we can get things rolling. You have an SD slot or 512MB of flash to store software on (Or even use as psuedo RAM through a system that works like Windows Vista's ReadyBoost), a fullsize DVD slot which could read movies (with appropriate player homebrew) or perhaps play all that anime you're sure to have in some weird codec. I see great possibilities. But current wii mods only allow for GC homebrew so thats a ways off yet.

Web browsing with long youtube vids? Probably never.

(Or even use as psuedo RAM through a system that works like Windows Vista's ReadyBoost)

I remember long before the Wii was released there was talk of Nintendo implementing a system such as this. It would theoretically boost the amount of RAM available, but it would be too slow compared to the rest of the internal memory, which is probably why it wasn't implemented.

I even heard about a feature in which you would add your own sticks of DDR memory, though its fairly obvious why this never came to fruition.

I'm a modder.

All in all, hacking media player stuff to a Wii or GC is not worth it. 360 and PS3 do it out of the box.

Ah but the PS3 doesn't play .avi videos, which is a bitch when downloading anime and having to convert to mp4 and shit. Or you could use Linux, but then the RSX (graphics card) is locked and videos are all jumpy.

I'm a modder.

No, you can't add RAM to a Wii, or change the hardware much. Even if you could, the Wii browser KNOWS how much ram the Wii has, it doesn't just fill up what's available. Don't think of the Wii as a computer, the hardware is FIXED, so even if you did change it and it somehow worked, you'd realize no benefit.

Also, homebrew on the Wii is still limited to the homebrew that ran on the Gamecube. You can run emulators and such, but not much else. There is DVD homebrew available, I believe, though I haven't tried it. It requires a somewhat elaborate GC-Linux setup where you network it to a computer using the ethernet adapter addon and use the computer's hard drive to store the linux OS and software, as you can't use the DVD drive for that when you want to play a DVD. Oh, and you'd need to casemod a GC to fit full size DVDs.

Once *True* Wii homebrew software is able to be hacked onto the console, when an exploit is found, then we can get things rolling. You have an SD slot or 512MB of flash to store software on (Or even use as psuedo RAM through a system that works like Windows Vista's ReadyBoost), a fullsize DVD slot which could read movies (with appropriate player homebrew) or perhaps play all that anime you're sure to have in some weird codec. I see great possibilities. But current wii mods only allow for GC homebrew so thats a ways off yet.

Web browsing with long youtube vids? Probably never.

Thank you. This is the type of answer I was looking for.

shut up. i'd rather use the big tv in my basement than my sketchy laptop if possible.

stop being so anxious to act retarded

I agree man, because I love surfing from the couch and looking at the big-ass tv (excellent for guitar tabs and music), and I'm getting the same problem. A lot of flash-based sites won't work, and I can't stream videos from lots of sites (like screwattack.com, which is one of my favorite sites)

pay off my 40k in student loans

Get a haircut and a real job.

Seriously, I'm repaying some debts and I,m still able to afford stuff to make my life enjoyable.

In the last 2 years I paid off about 15 000$ of my debts. I still managed to buy a new PC, make my game library grow, and afford a WoW addiction, as well as have spent 40$ per week in restaurants.

And I bought a car.