Final Fantasy XI - "Promyvion" remix

Eiyoko

I don't have much experience in the realm of remixing, but here's my first attempt at something. I decided to [attempt to] remix "Promyvion" and well, here's what came out.

http://files.filefront.com/PC_promyvionremixmp3/;7701596;/fileinfo.html

(Sorry, I know it's filefront, but I don't have my own host ><;)

The song still needs some tweaking, that so-called piano at the end needs to be replaced with something (and yet I have no idea what to replace it with), the organ needs some fixing...and it needs to have an actual end. There also seems to be something missing, but I don't quite know what...

00:40 So far I like the intro however... those bass staccato notes feel so empty... I sudgest an echo, while still keeping the staccato to it? Pleeeease?

2:30 I like those guitar riffs, really nice effect! Also I notice the hihat, nice job for tempo. Also I hear some synth in there.... But Maybe since it's

3:00 YES! YES! YES! You did a fantastic job on that beat drop, and just at the right moment too.

3:50 Nice guitar plucks, very nice job

4:30 Could you add a arpeggio here? Maybe a down down arpeggio of sorts?

4:50 I like the chords you put in there.

I loved the ending.... it gave me a sense of longing... but I might be the only one who thinks that. I really enjoyed the remix. Nice work.

It's actually not quite finished yet. I'm still trying to make some touch-ups; I had to heavily reference the song in midi format to get some stuff right and remind myself about other things that needed to be put in.

This is a remix of the "Promyvion" theme from Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia. There's a well-done midi of it on vgmusic.com. I'm trying not to make the remix sound like the original, and it's not exactly easy (I'm not even sure what genre the original could be considered outside of game music, lol)

Edit: I updated AGAIN. Here's the link to the newer one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mezx4omjxv

...Yeah, I know.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I need a better snare drum. Really. A friend of mine told me that the current one is just too fake-sounding.

I'm thinking about submitting this once it's done. Until then, I'm up for any suggestions or critique.

This is definitely one of my favorite songs from FFXI's soundtrack. So many turn off the music in that game being an mmo (I do myself...), but it really has a lot of gems on it, the Promyvion theme being one of them.

I like what you've done so far, I have no background in music theory or anything like that so it's not like I can really "review" your mix but I do like how you incorporated a bit into it to change things up (without changing the dreamy feel the song has).

Keep up the good work =0.

I live! O.O Alrighty, back to replying.

This is definitely one of my favorite songs from FFXI's soundtrack. So many turn off the music in that game being an mmo (I do myself...), but it really has a lot of gems on it, the Promyvion theme being one of them.

I like what you've done so far, I have no background in music theory or anything like that so it's not like I can really "review" your mix but I do like how you incorporated a bit into it to change things up (without changing the dreamy feel the song has).

Keep up the good work =0.

It's good to hear some people like it. ^^ I'm still working on it somewhat, but some things just don't seem right.

For one, I think it sounds too much like the original to be considered a remix. Also, something seems to be missing from it - I'm thinking about adding more drums, that's for sure, and the prelude in the background needs some tuning (someone told me it's a bit clashy @.@). I've also heard that it's a bit too long and needs to be shortened.

At least it's going somewhere.

Suggestions? Questions? Comments? Critique? I'm open to all of it.