CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 9: Step Back into the Light (Results!)

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

Feel free to be imaginative!

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 12, was "Mind Control" and the winner, Beth, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so she won. Beth then gets to decide the theme for CMC 13.

This competition is open to registered members of the forums of

OverClocked ReMix, VGMix, Ormgas, VGMusic, SheezyArt, Gaming World, and Young Composers.

CMC8-forums.jpg

CMC 9: Step Back into the Light

"Six years ago, you've gone into hiding, because they're looking for you. As each year painfully passes, you're dismayed to find that they have not forgotten you, nor have they forgetten what you've done. You've been outcasted - posters of your face haunt dimly-lit street corners across all districts of this metropolis. The light of day cannot touch your face. But you remain close by, because there is one person you wait to see. You cannot leave them behind. Instead, you patiently await the day to come when the two of you can once again reunite under the daytime sun without their eyes trailing you. After six years - is today the day? (Inspired by Byakuyakou)" -Joseph Liao

Results!:

There are 8 entries for this round...

Karl Nord - "On the Path into the Light"

• No description given...

Rich Douglas - "The Long Wait"
  • "I could give you a bland normal description of what I was trying to accomplish, instead.. I'm going to give you the 'found' journal entries of the main character of the story who has gone into hiding. But first, a short description about the world surrounding this piece of music. A military state has been declared due to the recent activist bombings around the metropolis, anyone who does not succomb to regular check ins is immediately guilty of treason and considered an enemy of the state. These outcasts have been forced to go into hiding deep in the depths of the city, away from sunlight, away from society, away from those they love. Their time for revenge and to retake society is coming, that day is today.
    Journal Entries (3 entries that correspond with the cues in the suite of music):
    15th of May, 2042
    Day 100
    After the military uprising on the surface, many of us have gone into hiding. It was awful my love... I tried to find you, but couldn't. Chaos, fires, looting, and death were all around the few of us that were able to flee down here. The military, the soldiers of the DCC marched through anyone who stood in their way.
    21st of August, 2045
    Day 1108
    My skin has become pale, the visions of what were... now dim. I must continue to retain my sanity. We are now pale memories of our former selves.. outcasts of the now militaristic society residing on the surface. I must not focus on the past, but I must focus on the future and how to correct the mistakes made and set right what is now wrong. Not a day goes by that I regret not being able to find you... I promise.. that day will come.. soon.
    15th of March, 2048
    Day 2191
    Day of Light. Today is the day we will have our revenge, today is the day all outcasts are coming up to the surface to retake society. Today is the day that I will right my wrongs, take my revenge, and find you. I promise.. I will comeback for you. Today is ours."

Herb Wheeler - "Shadowed Soul"

• "I have been hiding for six years in the shadows. I pass the time longing for the better times now lost. My mood changes to anger as I see those outside enjoying freedom, greeting their friends, while I am still hunted. My anger turns to melancholy and despair: will I ever see my friend again in the bright sunlight? But I dream of this and struggle to keep my dream alive facing a bleak and uncertain future."

Casey Dodd - "Reaching, Running for the Light"
  • "The beginning of the piece starts with an oboe solo and duet. This signifies the love that the two main "characters" share. These opening themes come back at the very end of the piece. The middle sections represent the "running" for the light. The characters are trying to get back to a place in life where they are free to love one another without fear. The end finds the two characters appearing to be together again but the final cadences leave it up to the listener to decide for themselves."

Chickenwarlord - "Treacherous Hideaway"

• "Done spur of the moment, I sat down and in the course of 15 minutes, wrote the lyrics to and recorded this little jingle on my laptop. 1.5 takes (I wish I had done a couple more) and minimal editing (volume needed to be boosted a lot to be audible) and the song was done. Don't take this entry too seriously."

Chief - "Step Back into the Light"
  • "0-1:29: Our hero is wandering the streets as an outcast.
    1:29-1:43: He realizes that this is the day where he will be reunited with his best friend.
    1:43-2:00: He starts running to see his friend...
    2:00: He is finally reunited with his friend, after six years of solitude."

Austin Gelber - "Urban Flight"

• "The character in hiding is this man who has become frustrated and hopless by his situation, represented by the first motif presented in the piece. He decides that today, it ends. One way or another, today is the day he comes out of hiding. The next section, with the piano/harp doubling is the mood of the city. It's gray skies and light rain. The last pizzicato part of this section is from the Girl's point of view, from inside her house, as she looks out the window. The heartbeat is the man's as he's sneaking through the city, trying to make it to her house. He is of course, anxious and nervous. The last measure of that crescendo is the man screaming in frustration. The next phrase, is him walking across the street to meet his beloved. They meet in the rain, which is the girl' theme followed by a choral. There's a flashback of a conversation in the choral, but their meeting is interrupted by a city guard. A fight between the man and the guard ensues, which is the percussion break. He's then looking around for an escape, because the rest of the cities guards have been alerted. He hides behind a wall, and all you hear is his heartbeat as the guards search for him. They spot him, and he runs. The next section is him trying to escape, and fighting guards in the process. He's too wounded in the process too continue, and he falls (the high voice run). His heartbeat slows, and finally stops. The last phrase of the song is the girl's lament."

Abadoss - "Eidolon"
  • "Adrift in the nightmare
    The rising moon becomes the setting sun
    Upon the river of my thoughts and dreams
    Unholy
    Now I shadow the fleeting dawn
    Now I rise up to meet the firey sky
    And with my darkness before me
    Force myself into light."

Voting Rules!:

• Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of that week. The voting period for this round ends June 30, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Stuart Godfrey submits a piece called "Down with Downy" to CMC 20, then his filename would be: Stuart_Godfrey_-_Down_with_Downy_CMC20.mp3)
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

Lyrics:

There’re places far too dark for shadows,

Believe me cause I’ve seen them all.

Darkness saves me from the gallows,

But will also be my fall.

Waiting beneath, a place forgot

To see a glimpse of my own soul

No mirrors, no candles, just empty rot

That’s consuming me whole.