*NO* Breath of Fire 2 'Mountain Pass'

djpretzel

Chiptunes are *very* hard to pull off (don't start telling me that that this isn't exactly a chiptune cause of the precussion or whatever). And unfortunately I don't think this is pulled off well. Something about the way the sounds are used just rubs me the wrong way. Not just rubs me the wrong way - more like hurts my head. I think it's the long, drawn out notes that really get to me.

If you're going to go retro like this, practice making it sound good. For now, No.

Well right off the bat this guy is getting points in my book for being on

Kadath.org

Kadath is a city from HP Lovecraft lore. That's cool, but still no criteria for

posting. Also points for doing a chiptunes. Chiptunes are awesome.

I enjoyed the harsh strained sounds and complex overtones of the

chosen chips along with the 808esque drum lines. A neat interpretation

of a gameboy track using very high quality chip sounds. Cool

YES

The description on the page:

"This is the music from the mountain pass you encounter about 10 minutes into the game, between HomeTown and the ruins. The original was done with a plink-plonk piano background melody supporting a lilting flute lead. This arrangement uses much more powerful instruments to invoke a feeling of vastness (the scene in question takes place HIGH above the forest floor)."

I'm not sure why a piano and a flute wouldn't do just the job for a feeling of vastness, since there's usually a sense of emptiness included in that description.

AND WHAT IS THAT ANNOYING BUZZING?!?

Ok, maybe I don't know what a chiptune is, but this doesn't sound like any I've heard before. I can't imagine this being on the NES. Not even just the drums. Sounds like a bad bagpipe. This is way too cluttered and loud and annoying for me to say yes to. I'm sorry. Chiptune or not, I have no bias in that matter, but this seems very sloppy.

The only part that seems to evoke what he's talking about, remotely, is the part from 1:53 to about 2:20 before that awful buzz/bagpipe noise. This is ick

NO says I.

DC