Flashback - Memory Leak Suite

beckett007

Hey everyone,

Just finished up a suite of music based on Flashback: The Quest For Identity recently, submitted it today, and thought I would unleash it on the community for all to hear. Here's the description:

Ever since I first played Flashback, it blew me away... and honestly is the reason I'm working in the game industry today. I'm an audio director for a THQ company and seeing as how we're about to wrap our current game up, Stuntman Ignition, I had a bit of spare time to put together this piece of music. It's not really a remix in the sense of

the word... more like a reworking of themes composed by Baudlot and Visserot with my own spin on orchestration. I basically approached this side project like i would scoring a next gen version of Flashback, a remake ... I thought it best to utilize their themes, but at the same time not only make them my own, but take that vibe and run with it to not only create my own motifs but stay in the same place soundwise / moodwise as the original. The main motif I added and carry throughout the suite is a lonely Duduk that serves as conrads theme, that and the 3 note synth lead line utilized in the game version of "Captured" that carries itself throughout as well. The end cue is definately a departure from the original... I hint at conrads theme once again, only to bring in some distant strings as he learns he'll be floating through space for a hell of a long time. So this suite of music basically goes in the same order as it would in game... here are the cues in the suite:

Logos / Intro

Menu (Conrads Theme)

Jungle Navigation

Descent Into The Tunnels

Hypersleep / The End

I used a ton of different Virtual Instruments to create this piece... everything from Stormdrum, to Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, FM8, EWQL Gold, String Essentials, RA... tons of stuff. Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out and hope that you guys feel the same way. Enjoy!

Flashback - Memory Leak Suite

http://www.richdouglas.commanderbond.net/~rich/random/Flashback_MemoryLeakSuite_RD.mp3

I thought I would list the original flashback cues I used in my suite for the curious:

You can find the chiptunes here:

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=333

I used / reorchestrated Delphine Logo / Opening Theme / Menu Theme / Walking (loosly for a bassline) / and Descent Into The Tunnels.

Once again, you can download my Flashback: The Quest For Identity suite of music here:

http://www.richdouglas.commanderbond.net/~rich/random/Flashback_MemoryLeakSuite_RD.mp3

Enjoy!

Rich

Although I consider Flashback one of the best games ever made, I'm not very familiar with the soundtrack, so thanks for the chiptune link and the rundown of your rearrangement.

This is really impressive stuff, and not just because of the professional production values. You've taken some quite sparse, minimalist source material and turned it into something much more expansive. Medleys can sometimes feel a bit random, but the progression here feels totally natural. I think I'd even go so far as to use the word epic.

Thank you both for your comments! I really wanted to approach this project like I would approach scoring a film and not only give the music a very cinematic feel, but not stray too far from the source. That last scene in Flashback (if you guys have finished the game of course) is one that has always stuck with me, I really wanted to capture the sense of uncertainty in the end of the track... a sense of uncertainty that the original music just never really did (as it was too happy in my opinion). Thanks again!

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...