Drum Kit

If you are on a budget and just want to do rock music, drumkit from hell 2 would also be a good option.

Less than $100 if you can find it on sale, and you can rock out all you want.

And rock you will. The cymbals are amazing, and left and right samples for everything. You can mix it like a real set too, putting everything on different channels and hacking away.

If budget isn't an option, you might want to consider Battery; it'll give you some good options for rock kits, orchestral kits, world percussion, electronic kits, and pretty much everything you can think of.

how much is it? can you give me a link to a page that sells it? because obviously if you type it in on google product search you will see stuff like energizer come up.

I'm looking at virtual drum kits as well and am having a hard time deciding between two pieces of software. I've narrowed my choices down to EZ Drummer (which uses a DFH expansion pack) and Battery.

I basically want something easy to use, integrates well with Sonar, allows me to play various articulations and velocities using a single drum pad, works smoothly when recording live tracks with my v-drum kit, has multiple output capabilities per track, a decent humanizing function for lazy people like myself, and perhaps anything else I can't think of at the moment.

EDIT: Come to think of it, since I already have the DR-008 plug-in, do I even really need Battery? They each appear to do the same thing. Would a decent set of drum kit samples be all I need?

I'm looking at virtual drum kits as well and am having a hard time deciding between two pieces of software. I've narrowed my choices down to EZ Drummer (which uses a DFH expansion pack) and Battery.

I basically want something easy to use, integrates well with Sonar, allows me to play various articulations and velocities using a single drum pad, works smoothly when recording live tracks with my v-drum kit, has multiple output capabilities per track, a decent humanizing function for lazy people like myself, and perhaps anything else I can't think of at the moment.

EDIT: Come to think of it, since I already have the DR-008 plug-in, do I even really need Battery? They each appear to do the same thing. Would a decent set of drum kit samples be all I need?

As far as I'm concerned EZDrummer sucks. The interface is nice and all that, but the sounds are way too processed for my tastes. Addictive Drums does everything EZdrummer can do, and so much more, not only that but the samples are raw, instead of doing processing on the wave files like EZD, it's all stored in built in EQ presets.

Other than that, Battery has some GREAT kits, but for double the price of DFH2 you're getting ripped off. The best thing out there is Drumkit From Hell Superior, BFD is a very close second. DFH2 is one of the many kits in DFHS, built into a custom Kompakt sampler. Be careful though, DFH2, while great, is limited by Kompakt. The close tom mics cannot be panned using the Kompakt sampler it comes with since there are only 8 outputs in Kompakt forcing the toms to be routed to two output channels.

If budget is not an issue, then there is no excuse for not getting Drumkit From Hell Superior, just be sure you can devote a good bit of time learning about how to properly play/program and mix it (same applies for all raw drum sample libraries).

As far as I'm concerned EZDrummer sucks. The interface is nice and all that, but the sounds are way too processed for my tastes. Addictive Drums does everything EZdrummer can do, and so much more, not only that but the samples are raw, instead of doing processing on the wave files like EZD, it's all stored in built in EQ presets.

Other than that, Battery has some GREAT kits, but for double the price of DFH2 you're getting ripped off. The best thing out there is Drumkit From Hell Superior, BFD is a very close second. DFH2 is one of the many kits in DFHS, built into a custom Kompakt sampler. Be careful though, DFH2, while great, is limited by Kompakt. The close tom mics cannot be panned using the Kompakt sampler it comes with since there are only 8 outputs in Kompakt forcing the toms to be routed to two output channels.

If budget is not an issue, then there is no excuse for not getting Drumkit From Hell Superior, just be sure you can devote a good bit of time learning about how to properly play/program and mix it (same applies for all raw drum sample libraries).

I think the main problem I have is that I don't trust myself enough to get DFH sounding as good as it can be. I guess that's why I looked at EZDrummer, since a lot of the guess work is taken out of processing. Yeah, I'd be limiting myself to using their samples as is, but my understanding is that it handles multiple outputs, so that I can handle any extra processing in my sequencer. I'm fairly confident that I could get them sounding how I'd like them to with decent enough compression. Also, most of my drum tracks will likely be recorded live from my v-drum kit, which from the youtube video demonstrations that I've seen, integrates convincingly enough for my needs, especially given the fair amount of articulations and velocity layers.

The other thing is that I just don't want a heavy work load when my creative juices are flowing and I feel like pumping out a tune while it's still fresh. Maybe, because of this, EZDrummer would work best.

I'll probably take a look into Addictive Drums, since you mentioned it as being somewhat similar. The idea of retaining raw audio files, but with built in EQ presets sounds very attractive, assuming they require only minor tweaking,. Though I realize that almost always change from song to song and style to style. Also, I am on a budget, which I guess makes one of these packages that much more tempting to purchase.