OCR00055 - Super Mario Bros. "Jazz Plumber Trio"

Super Mario Bros. 'Jazz Plumber Trio'

Jazz, when done right, is awesome. This is pretty darn close especially when you consider all of the instruments are fake. They sound great! This song jams. Lots of cool piano on top of the loose snare drums. Lots of great jazz elements help ensure this to be a must download. djp definitely likes jazz and it shows. Nuttin' wrong wit dat I tell ya!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm not really into jazz, but when it's done right, like this one, it's INCREDIBLE. Very real-sounding... It seems to fill the room with piano and flute that expand quite a bit (and never badly) on the Mario Bros theme. You might not like it, but I can't help but love it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like this song, it's a great swingin' feel, and an excellent arrangement. You really grasped the feel with this. With the flute though, it sounded more like a quartet o.O. Anyway, the only criticizm I have was that I though the drums sounded too busy at times. I loved your perception on the themes from 1-1 and 1-2, though, quite good indeed! =D

Edit- I just thought of this. Last night, there was an all day playing thing at my school to raise money for a charity. So my friend and I were playing the mario theme (me on vibes, him on bass). At the underworld theme at the fast part, I knew I couldn't play it. So I just went into a heavy blues and we just jammed. It was great =D

• 4 weeks later...

DJP did a fine job with this, though it isn't spectacular for his standards. It's one of the better SMB remixes, so I'd recommend it to almost anyone. However, I do have issues with the changes to the melodies he made. Even if he had to make them given the tools he had, I wouldn't ever call them an "improvement". That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it either tho... hmm... 5/8

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. DJ Pretzel, (sorry, djpretzel), this is definatly one of your finest mixes, and among the best super mario bros. theme mixes out there at all.

I listened to this song before I read your description about it, and I thought for a long time that those were actually real instruments the whole time. They are very very convincing sounds!

Please do more like this nice Jazz randition. It's worth it for all ears to listen to!

• 3 months later...

I don't want to comment on the technicals of jazz, because I'd just be crapping out poop, or even something else. All I know about some jazz is that:

1.)There must be solos everywhere

2.)Percussion must exploit every rhythm possible at any time

3.)Song duration can travel with no limit

4.)It is in the key of alphabet

5.)They fight ALL the time.

This mix falls into 4 of those categories I think, but/and it's pretty good. When it came on today I was enjoying every bit of it, but after repeated listens it kinda gets old, because you can expect everything, and for some reason in songs where there's infinite things going on, repeated listens of SHORT SAID SONGS grow old. Maybe sometime in the future 200X it will come as a surprise listen again.

I really think this would benefit from limitless duration, and I hear making MORE jazz pieces can achieve such amazing feats. With new and improved djp knowledge, and djp equipment, and djp POWER, forces combine and

screw that.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Super Mario Bros. 'Jazz Plumber Trio'

Jazz, when done right, is awesome. This is pretty darn close especially when you consider all of the instruments are fake. They sound great! This song jams. Lots of cool piano on top of the loose snare drums. Lots of great jazz elements help ensure this to be a must download. DJP definitely likes jazz and it shows. Nuttin' wrong wit dat I tell ya!

"when done right,"

Of course it's going to be done right! We're talking about DJP! I'm no jazz lover by any means, and this song R4WK5!!!11!1!1

Djpretzel adds another ownage layer.

I personally enjoyed this piece as well. To tell the truth, I would have never thought of it, and that is what makes me like it even more. I love jazz, and this is truly a great jazz piece, if I do say so myself. Can't believe you thought jazz lovers wouldn't like it. :mrgreen:

|GX

• 2 years later...

Percussion sounds way too occupied for a lot of this and it's pretty distracting. It's like at the beginning when the flutist isn't playing yet, they are messing around with the drummer; playing notes as well.

Creative arrangement, and nice transition to the 1-2 theme, but overall I wasn't really feeling the flow. There was a lot of jarring sections where it wasn't really smooth. Pretty nice samples though, especially considering the age of the mix.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

When people say "gems of old OCR", this is without a doubt one of them. I think I found my Jazz groove. 1950's coffeehouse it is! As for the mix, the music flows so smoothly inbetween transitions and the sound is just so natural! I can actually picture this being played in a jazz club (well, this style of jazz club anyway). Very good arrangement and you kept with the style flawlessly. Damn good work.

• 3 years later...

Oh man I can definitely get behind this one. The samples are even solid enough where I'd at least second guess their legitimacy some of the time, which is pretty impressive! And the arrangement of the tunes is very well done, I think that this would totally fly today with a bump in quality! It's so so hard to keep the original Mario themes interesting, but you did a very nice job. I'm so glad there's a place for songs like this~  :)

(.... also is that the flute from Shin Shuriken Jam?!)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00055 - Super Mario Bros. "Jazz Plumber Trio"