Reason 'competition'?

Ok so this is not really a competition, as it's just for fun. What I propose is that we take 2 rns files at a time that are of a good vibe, but unfinished (I'm sure we all have some of those), and then we all have fun working on them. After a period of 2 weeks the round will finish, and I will host the finished rns files on my webspace (or yours). If you don't have time to work on both files, that's fine - just work on the one. Send me your best unfinished rns file, and I'll put it in the queue to be used as a source for the following rounds.

This is for us, as OCR reason users, to learn more about reason and get a feel for how others use the program, as well as it being great fun for the person whose rns file is used as the source. Even if you don't participate in actually making a variation yourself, you can still get a lot out of it by seeing what others have done with the rns files that they submit.

This is just for fun, but we have to have some guidelines at least:

*The person who submits their rns to be reworked may set the guidelines as to what do do with the song itself. Remix? Finish what has been started? Change genre? Go nuts?

1. There must be no ear killing stuff in the files! No crazy infinite feedback stuff at 1khz, or anything else like that plz. I know it's silly for me to say this, but still.

2. A lot of debate on what refills can/cannot be used. Not everyone will be pleased I'm sure, but I'm sure we can please most. Do whatever you want with the synths, as long as it's not ear killing! We want to make sure that as many people can play the full rns that you've made. So, Reason factory soundbank, Orkester, Electromechanical, and SirNuts refill (the only outside refill that can be used!) These rns files will be Reason 3 compatible, but not for earlier versions sorry.

3. Following on from point 2, obviously other refills may contain synth/fx combis. Most of you will know that anything based on Reason's synths/effects will open up even if you don't have that refill. So that's ok.

4. You may use 'File > Song Self-Contain Settings' to embed drum/drum percussion. No embedding of any other sounds. But the rns file must not exceed 2mb in size. That should be more than enough.

5. You can email me the rns and file if you wish, or you can host them on your own webspace. I don't care either way, we all have lots of space these days on our email accounts.

First round: FINISHED! Thanks to everyone who participated! Archive here:

www.malcos.co.uk/rns/Round1.zip

Round 2: Finished!

Please discuss in thread...

Ok well, 4 or 5 people is more than enough to start this off! Hosting isn't a prob, I've got space that we can use from my web site, so you guys could just email me the rsn files, they would only be small anyway.

Yeah Fishy, sorry this is Reason 3 only, it a shame that the files are not backwards compatible in some way.

Hy Bound, you were first, so I guess we can use one of your unfinished files? I'm sure we all have unfinished rsn files floating around in our folders! We can start this on Monday if everyone will be ready. I'll edit the first post and put up some guidelines, including the use of only the Reason default bank and the orkester samples, as any synths/synth combis are not dependant on soundbanks. Electromechanical as well? I'm sure most of us will have that refill too?

Anyways I have to get ready for the Propellerheads producers conference thingy, it's coming to London this evening! I'll prob start another thread about it tomorrow.

Yeah Fishy, sorry this is Reason 3 only, it a shame that the files are not backwards compatible in some way.

:(

Any chance somewhere down the line I can submit a 2.5 file for the source? I'm pretty sure you can open 2.5 files in 3.0, that way you get none of them combinatory majiggers and shi' as a starting point :P.

Either way, I'm gonna be voting like a biatch on this one :D.

Fishy, of course you could submit a 2.5 rns for the source, the thing is you just wouldn't be able to see the changes that other have made to the file; the only way you would be able to hear them is if everyone rendered as mp3, which I would be happy to host. If you're ok with that, it's more then fine by me.

AS, yeah, you can tweak/make whatever synths you want. Basically I'm just trying to accommodate everyone, so that no one says they can't play a particular file because they don't have the samples. Or I could say that if they are stand alone samples, then they should be imbedded in the file. If so, should there be a size limit?

This is getting complex!

Ok, if we use the SirNuts refill, then that is the only outside refill that can be used, otherwise this will just get tooooooo much.

BTW, the conference was ok. I got a free t-shirt. Got a few tips, not that they were giving much away, but I learned more about routing. We got lectures from Peff, and James Bernard as well. I definitely have to get Peff's book, 'Power tools for Reason 3'. That Peff guy knows his shit!

Fishy, of course you could submit a 2.5 rns for the source, the thing is you just wouldn't be able to see the changes that other have made to the file; the only way you would be able to hear them is if everyone rendered as mp3, which I would be happy to host. If you're ok with that, it's more then fine by me.

Yeah I realised I wouldn't be able to see the changes, but hearing them is good enough for me. I'll put a little something together for the second or third round or something? You want it to be just a nice simple original for people to work up into something more substantial?

I dont have time for this.... as much as I'd love to, I dont spend nearly enough time doing music. I'l definatly tune in for results, get inspired and then mope about the said lack of time.

IE. I'm interested, but not necessarily IN.

IMO: Refils, I say just keep it to default soundbank samples for all instruments bar drums. Max 1mb of samples attached, with samples available on request.

Additionally, I dont think this necessarily has to be a competition though. The voting would get tedius and annoying (again imo), and have no real reward. If all entrants of a competition submitted unfinished works that could be used as the source for the FOLLOWING competition, I can see that as more benefitting and inspirational, and provide a wider range of ideas.

Sorry about the quick and formal attitude, my mind is in work mode.

I'l check back on this tomorrow when I'm more relaxed.

Ok, let me just pull everything together here into one post, or this is gonna be a very long thread lol. I'll just edit my

first post and kinda put all the 'rules' together into that, and then we can just discuss as usual.

Please comment on my edited post, let me know what you think of the guidelines and particularly the points for discussion. I'm sure we can get this under way by next Monday!

Points still for discussion:

*Length of time for each editing of rns file (1/2 weeks)

*Rns or rps? Does it matter?

*We're gona be messing with a tune. So can we mess with the tune completely, or can we only continue the vibe that has already been set? Or should we leave it up to whoever is subbing the rns at the time?

1. I reckon 2 weeks per file, with little break between (2 days max, and the break during the week, cos I want to be able to contribute if I can, and the only time for that will be weekends). Will it be 1 file at a time, or multiples?

2. RNS, preferably. If someone has a synth patch I really like, and would like to save, I would like to be able to just SAVE it, not have to recreate it and then save it.

3. No idea, I'm devided on the issue. For example, I'd love to be able to submit a peice thats almost complete and have people feedback on the processing used, but that doesnt allow remixing or variations very much. But at the same time, I mightnt learn as much if I'm not direct with the request. I'l leave this for others to battle out.

I personally feel that 2 weeks is too long, because we're not composing, just working with an already established, but undeveloped idea. However I would still like some more opinions on that, if a lot of people want 2 weeks then kool.

Yeah I was leaning towards rns, because we are really sharing ideas here.

V___, reading what you would want done with your rns, and what others want done with theirs, I think it's best, and more fun if we let whoever is subbing the rns to say what they want done with it, it's more varied that way.

I think working with 2 files at a time would be a good idea, because 2 weeks is a long time for me, especially if someone just wants a few tweaks done to their rns file, or who has a kind of 'lets see how you mix this' request.

I think working with 2 files at a time would be a good idea, because 2 weeks is a long time for me, especially if someone just wants a few tweaks done to their rns file, or who has a kind of 'lets see how you mix this' request.

Sounds like a good idea--that way, if you have time you can work with both files, and if not you can just pick one of them. It all depends on how much time you've got around on your hands--I think ORC does weekly competitions, but CMC does closer to 2 weeks. Whereas, FLMC was really dwindling so even with a deadline closer to one month, it didn't really get much.

Points still for discussion:

*Length of time for each editing of rns file (1/2 weeks)

*Rns or rps? Does it matter?

*We're gona be messing with a tune. So can we mess with the tune completely, or can we only continue the vibe that has already been set? Or should we leave it up to whoever is subbing the rns at the time?

Just got home after a gig in denmark, 46 hours without sleep so pardon any bad english :)

1. I didn't really get how you meant this. 2 weeks and 2 files at a time? I think that could be nice so you can work fast and do both or just concentrate on one. I hope I understood that correctly. Remember the voting process will be long so if we're doing one song at a time I'm voting 1 week.

2. RNS. RPS is for people that think to highly of themselves and doesn't want to share.

3. I think leave it up to the subber. But I do hope most of the subbers encourage the complete mess I know we all want to do ;)

Just running off to work, but wanted to check up on this, and I'm glad I did! Looks awesome!! Have to query publication of a reworked song in the future, but we'l cover that later I'm sure. I'm READY (to attempt to get some time, fail miserably and cry :()

5. When the time comes to submit, please put your forum name at the start of the file, ie Malcos_dibnip.rns. You can email me the rns and file if you wish, or you can host them on your own webspace. I don't care either way, we all have lots of space these days on our email accounts.

So I rename my file V________dibnip.rns? :P