Don Herbert, AKA Mr. Wizard, Dead at 89

Majin GeoDooD

LOS ANGELES -- Don Herbert, who as television's "Mr. Wizard" introduced generations of young viewers to the joys of science, died Tuesday. He was 89. Herbert, who had bone cancer, died at his suburban Bell Canyon home, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/1401AP_Obit_Herbert.html

I love watching Mr. Wizard's World back in the day in Nickelodeon, RIP Mr. Wizard :(

Problem: Mr Wizard is dead.

Hypothesis: The researcher believes that sadness will be the emotion expressed.

Materials: Keyboard, PC, Monitor, Beaker of tears

Procedure:

1. Remember the Mr. Wizard show

2. Think about the past

3. Contemplate

Conclusion: Yes, the experimenter proved the hypothesis correct. He did indeed feel sadness.

Notes: I remember watching Mr. Wizard as a child with my dad. Sure, the video had that hazy 80's look but it was Mr. Wizard and science was suddenly cool and interesting in my book. Props Mr. Wizard. Props good sir.

Though I don't remember Mr. Wizard as clearly as I remember some *other* science demonstrater (namely from PBS), I do remember him more fondly. Problem was that I always had to leave for school right in the middle of his demonstrations, so I rarely got to see one to fruition.

R.I.P. Mr. Herbert

Mr. Wizard was some of my earliest memories of Nikelodeon (that and Pinwheel). Some features I remember off the top of my head are how it's possible to swallow even upside-down and how to use the Apple Logo drawing program ("turtle," anyone?).

I blame him for my fear of tornadoes as a kid though, thanks to a minute-long feature he once had. I grew up in central PA; he negated to mention that they're largely a midwestern thing ;-)

Edit: Anyone know what he was doing in his later years?