OCR00763 - Terranigma "Blue"

orkybash

Terranigma 'Blue'

Cool, Terrangma! That was my fist reaction, anyway. To be honest, I thought this was a nice remix, but it could use a little work. It tends to sound pretty muddy - some panning should clear things up a bit. also, I noticed a couple missed notes in the background. But for a first submission done entirely on free software, this ain't half bad!

Very solid song, I like this arrangement a lot. It reminds me of something you'd hear on a radio in the AM band in a light rainstorm or something. Weird images but a very good song. Yes it does need a little work to clear up the cloudyness but other than that I'm very impressed, this is really good for a first submission with freee software. Props to Zewtra, very nice stuff.

From about 2:16 to 2:40, I was drooling on myself. That part caught me the most -- truly a great part in the ReMix.

Furthermore, I believe the "muddy" issue actually adds to the ReMix at points, giving it the effect that Morning Star described -- not a bad thing at all. Even if unintentional, it works well enough.

I agree with the fair sir Orkybash when he says, "Cool, Terranigma!" Yes, indeed! Points to be awarded for good game choices... a severely under-ReMixed game, if I do say so. (Along with Lagoon.)

In short: sweet, smooth coverage where it was sorely needed. Submit more good stuff as it comes to you, if you would do us the favor.

Arbitrarily-scaled score: 7.3629/8.

Where exactly in the game is this song located? I want to say the Animal Sanctuary... but I also seem to associate it with some other places, like that canyon you rescue Leim from (before you talk to Leim and get that happy march music)... I'm not certain. And I've played the game through three times!

That's the only thing that's really been bugging me. I -should- know the source of this music... but I can't quite place it...

• 7 months later...

With my recent start of Terranimga, I got curious about remixes of this game and came here. I liked the sound of this piece very much, the background of it reminding me the game itself, as if it was being played. It's a calm remix, fitting from what I've dealt with in the game and it's just the sound it that seems to fit the game. A good follow up piece for the recent EVO remix. Obscurity covers some good RPGs sometimes.

In short: A mellow remix with a different sound to it. It won't be for everyone, that's how it is.

ZidaRose

• 2 months later...

I don't really agree with all the argumentation on the cloudyness or what not. It's a very mellow tune, something of which I've always had a strange fetish for. I think it in a sense adds to the song. In my mind music shouldn't be graded on professionalism, but the effects of it on our very own minds, souls, and emotions. And for that I'd have to definitly give you a high score. I love it.

• 5 weeks later...

Im not too keen on the rain sounds at the beginning...

They're too quiet and sound a little like radio static or something (at least this is what I thought it was on the first listen)

The equalising could do with being sorted a little in my opinion...the melody would be fine, but everything else is the same level and it makes it muddy

I dont like it when the high power drums and the loud rumbling kick in...its too loud.

Its not bad...I actually kinda like it...

Yeah, I recommend it to everyone who's lookin for a chillout track...

• 2 months later...

Absolutely awesome mix, especially considering the tools Ziwtra used. While the sound quality is lacking, I don't really find that it detracts from the song at all.

As said before, a really mellow piece. Really nice for just lying around after a long day.

Hm...I'm having trouble figuring out what the original song was, too. I've played through the game twice and I have the spcs, so it's really bugging me. ~_~

Sounds great, though.

• 5 months later...

I like this alot =) it's a very clean mix, and really captures your attention. However, I had to stop it a number of times just to make sure I wasn't hearing something in the background along with the music; the harmony just didn't seem to fit, and the background was far too busy to provide backing for the flute lead. However, the percussion was high quality and obviously skilfully programmed, and the actual samples are very nice. Nice work, zwitra!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This is probably one of the most beautifull peaces i've ever heard. It just sounds like comming directly out of a dream, out of the heart, just like so much in the game itself.

I'm not verry good at words, but, beleave me that when I say that this music is beautifull... is just a bit of what i feel. Thank you for the arrangement, just perfect.

• 2 years later...

So I decided to check and see which song has spent the most time without a new review, and it was some mix called "blue". Points go to it being from Terraenigma, which generally has a very strong soundtrack.

It has been almost 3 years since someone has reviewed this, then then finding it was the very first track submitted by one of my favorite mixers, Ziwtra. Awesome coincidence!

Ziwtra has a way with taking generally weak samples and turning them into something completely fantastic, and this track is no exception. The horn and pan flute make up most of the melodic elements, with some epiano providing counterpoint. There are some jungle sound effects and a lot of under-the-surface sonic energy, but a lot of the white noise gives the track a breathing quality to it. Very cool stuff.

One thing that bothers me a bit about this mix is that the kick drum is too loud, but otherwise it's a fantastic mix with a lot of great character. Using the samples creatively really gives this it's own identity.

Hopefully the next person to review this song won't take another 3 years, this one deserves better.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, mix number one from Ziwtra. RIght off the bat, wonderful sounding intro. Very calming. Not a huge fan of the synth strings, but they actually work pretty well in the soundscape. The pan flute is really nice. Having just reviewed Unipulator, I got a hankering for flute. I love the percussion and heavier drums with the sound design elements in there. It creates such an amazing ambience. The synths chording and playing some counterpoint behind the flute sounds pretty nice. The synthetic sounding SFX sound really cool, even if that wasn't intentional :). This mix creates a great vibe that is neither completely chilled out but nor is it slammin' busy. The balance was nice, even more so considering this was done in 2002!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00763 - Terranigma "Blue"