Who's a Music Major?

HershDawg

I am just wondering how many of us are majoring in music. Just state where you go what you play/sing.

I go to Cal State Fullerton, and my major is Music Performance in Saxophone and I can play Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, and Clarinet. I can sorta do flute and bassoon. I can also sing Baritone/Bass.

I am just wondering who else is out there.

I am a percussion major at the Peabody Conservatory, going for my BM right now. After this, I am going to try to get into Yale. If I can, I will go there for my MM in percussion, do an ARC program (alternate route to certification) over a summer to teach, and then try to pursue a Doctor in jazz somewhere. At least that's the plan ;D

I am just wondering how many of us are majoring in music. Just state where you go what you play/sing.

I go to Cal State Fullerton, and my major is Music Performance in Saxophone and I can play Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, and Clarinet. I can sorta do flute and bassoon. I can also sing Baritone/Bass.

I am just wondering who else is out there.

hey i'm a music major too and i go to the school right down the street from ya. Fullerton College.

I'm NOT a music major anymore because I just got my B.M. in music education.

Same here! Just got a Bachelor of Music AND Bachelor of Education from the University of Manitoba, graduated like... two weeks ago! My major was euphonium and my minor is English... but yeah, euphonium... all the cool kids play it... *ugh* jk!

DragonAvenger - job prospects? what are you teaching? (early/middle/senior? band/choir?)

Same here! Just got a Bachelor of Music AND Bachelor of Education from the University of Manitoba, graduated like... two weeks ago! My major was euphonium and my minor is English... but yeah, euphonium... all the cool kids play it... *ugh* jk!

DragonAvenger - job prospects? what are you teaching? (early/middle/senior? band/choir?)

I forgot to mention that U of M's degrees are integrated, meaning that one could gear their degree for Music Ed. So like, in 5 years, Integrated students get Bachelor degrees in both Music and Education... the last post sounded very pretentious!

(musician? pretentious? NOOOooo!!) :P

The preferred is middle school band, but I'll take elementary in a pinch. I have to send out a bunch of apps this week, actually.

ah performance majors. a.k.a. future longterm starbucks employees.

Not entirely. One of my teachers has somewhat stated that when I get good enough he might send me on some of his gigs. He happens to be one of the people who recorded the soundtrack for the Godfather.

The preferred is middle school band, but I'll take elementary in a pinch. I have to send out a bunch of apps this week, actually.

Nice nice! There's something to be said about the importance of middle school band - for some reason, little-to-no students retain a lot of elementary music training. Not to say that their elementary music is bad, it's just that middle school teachers often have to reteach it all in band class. Kids need those elementary WIND skills too - who gets all the work with initial good tone production, first impressions of wind band and all that... it's the middle school teacher. My hat's off to you, my friend :)

I thought about going into music when I started college, as I had played viola for about eight years, up to that point. But then I started to question that idea and decided to go with a Bachelor of Science in Art. Also, with Weber's music program, most of the classes are 1 - 2 credit hours. So to be full time you end up taking 6, 7, or more classes per semester, each of which require plenty of time and work, so it can be exhausting, according to some friends who are in music.