Who's a Music Major?

HershDawg

well well well Jiggin JON t i guess that when i am rich and famous and touring i'll know who NOT to hire as my pianist!!!

in the 12 years before that happens, i'll make sure to tell your shift manager you made my tall-no-water-chai latte wrong.

gotta love those benefits!

One of my teachers has somewhat stated that when I get good enough he might send me on some of his gigs.

Sounds like a solid foundation to build your future on. You guys know I love you, right? Gimme a hug.

I thought about going into music when I started college, as I had played viola for about eight years, up to that point. But then I started to question that idea and decided to go with a Bachelor of Science in Art. Also, with Weber's music program, most of the classes are 1 - 2 credit hours. So to be full time you end up taking 6, 7, or more classes per semester, each of which require plenty of time and work, so it can be exhausting, according to some friends who are in music.

I think that any music program is exhausting because the sheer volume of work is way out of control... probably anywhere. When you look at all of your classes, plus ensembles, PLUS practicing (which is as much or more time than both of those combined) then yeah... busy.

For the Integrated Music/Ed program at University of Manitoba, you have to take more than a full course load every year... it's busy... but as you're writing out your chorales for theory class or pounding Haydn and Beethoven into your head for you History listening exam... you just think to yourself... I could be learning something that I don't care about... and then it's okay :)

PS: Drum and Pixie - I wish I went your school, it's so nice and mine is like an igloo with a performance space :( lol.

I'm a Liberal Studies major (write your own) at Iowa State, with two of my three areas in music (performance and theory/history/composition count separate). I take all of the classes required of a music major (note: not education) and then have tacked on some marketing and political science.

Right now I'm planning on going to grad school (hopefully at Illinois) after I graduate Spring '08.

I graduated from University of Wisconsin-Whitewater with BA Music in fall 2001 (with a minor in philosophy). I intend to go after a masters in composition from UW-Madison in a year or two (and perhaps eventually a DMA). My primary instrument was trombone, and I also studied piano and vocal. (My guitar training came before college).

I miss college :(

I used to be a music major. I was a composition major with a concentration in guitar for two years before deciding to pursue something else. I didn't really have the talent to have any real shot at doing what I wanted to do with a music degree, become a concert composer, and so I looked into going after other interests.

You gotta know when to fold 'em, as a great philosopher once said.

I'm a senior undergrad percussionist at the Catholic University of America in D.C. I'm working on my Music B.A. in the school of Arts and Sciences, but I don't plan on continuing after graduation. I've always wanted to compose as a hobby; I might do that whenever I get the money for equipment.

Damn, I had no idea so many people on OCR were doing music degrees! I've got City and Guild levels 1-3 in Sound Engineering. That probably won't mean anything to anyone outside the UK though.

And here I thought it was a sound engineer guild in an MMO or something...

I already graduated a few years ago, but I was a music major. I like the Death Metal so originally I wanted to be a guitar major. Of course the only genres they're gonna teach you at college are Classical and Jazz (At least at my school, anyway.). So naturally, the more relative genre is classical guitar, but they had a problem with teaching me about classical guitar and letting me practice it on my electric guitar. I told them that I really wanted to take classical guitar and they were like, "But you don't have a classical guitar, so you can't. You have an electric guitar so you have to take Jazz." I was pretty annoyed but I went ahead and studied Jazz for two years and then decided that it was not helping get better at metal, so I quit that and switched to composition instead of guitar. I had to take some piano lessons thanks to that. ^_^ Hahaha.

Anyway...Long story short... I was a music composition major in college.

I am majoring in music theory, going after my doctorate. Still have a bit too go, but doing well so far. I find it odd that some people drop the classes because all they want is a high paying job. At least that is the way it is at my school. I sing Baritone/Bass, Play Guitar, Bass Guitar, Percussion, Piano, and a bit of violin.

well, maybe, but metal's more about the complicated patterns, rhythm, and inflection that you get just by learning to play your instrument better. jazz would help a little, but i'd think that the complicated cross-rhythms and patterns that is so intrinsic in modern classical guitar would help more than just the creativity that jazz often focuses on.

I am majoring in music theory, going after my doctorate. Still have a bit too go, but doing well so far. I find it odd that some people drop the classes because all they want is a high paying job. At least that is the way it is at my school. I sing Baritone/Bass, Play Guitar, Bass Guitar, Percussion, Piano, and a bit of violin.

omg u play the exact same instruments as me, except i dont play percussion...... yet. i also sing in baritone/bass range too. you must be my musical twin... except, i'm prolly just a sucky version of u

well, maybe, but metal's more about the complicated patterns, rhythm, and inflection that you get just by learning to play your instrument better.

and jazz is...

jazz would help a little, but i'd think that the complicated cross-rhythms and patterns that is so intrinsic in modern classical guitar would help more than just the creativity that jazz often focuses on.

well that's just the technical aspect, but stylistically many forms of metal are rooted in jazz music.