Who's a Music Major?

HershDawg

well, maybe, but metal's more about the complicated patterns, rhythm, and inflection that you get just by learning to play your instrument better. jazz would help a little, but i'd think that the complicated cross-rhythms and patterns that is so intrinsic in modern classical guitar would help more than just the creativity that jazz often focuses on.

after reading this i can only conclude that both would help metal playing in equal amounts only in different ways

omg u play the exact same instruments as me, except i dont play percussion...... yet. i also sing in baritone/bass range too. you must be my musical twin... except, i'm prolly just a sucky version of u

Lol, Nah. Last I checked, any musician worth his weight never truly considers himself the best. I am probably behind you in some areas. Guitar and Bass is where I excel the farthest. I just hope that I really can excel further. I will die strive to be better then I am till the day I die, and any musician that says they are has good has they want to be, has lost the desire to grow.

But all of this is in My opinion. This is not meant for anyone in particular, so no flaming please.

Lol, Nah. Last I checked, any musician worth his weight never truly considers himself the best.

that's very true. the good musicians think they suck. the suck musicians think they good

I am probably behind you in some areas. Guitar and Bass is where I excel the farthest.

i excel at violin the furthest, and it's not very far. i prolly wouldn't be accepted to be a performance major anywhere. i wouldn't even want to do that anyways, i'm way too fickle and i'd get tired of it.

that's why i mainly play bass and guitar nowadays, and it's quickly catching up to my violin level. although maybe not, considering i'm still lacking decades of practice. but it just feels like i've made fast progress since violin is just sooo hard.. many many years spent not getting very far

aside from playing, i still consider my production/arrangement/composition skill greater than my instrument skills. too bad there isn't some kind of production major or school, that would probably be a really interesting curriculum. it would basically have to encompass a bit from ALL aspects of music

i guess thats prolly why i fit the producer role well.. i'm just a jack of several trades, master of NADA. i always wonder how i would be if i focused all my energy on one thing....

Wow. I didn't think anyone around here would have metal comments to make. Indeed it's hard to say what the first metal was like, but basically I don't care for many American metal bands, but European ones. And in that realm you can find TONS of classical music oriented metal bands. For example good ol' Stratovarius or Rhapsody. I highly recommend those two bands, by the way. ^_^

I'm still working my hardest trying to get either of my TWO metal bands out here in Japan into live mode, but I just keep running into all kinds of ups and downs with trying to find the right members. Ugh!

Wow. I didn't think anyone around here would have metal comments to make. Indeed it's hard to say what the first metal was like, but basically I don't care for many American metal bands, but European ones. And in that realm you can find TONS of classical music oriented metal bands. For example good ol' Stratovarius or Rhapsody. I highly recommend those two bands, by the way. ^_^

I'm still working my hardest trying to get either of my TWO metal bands out here in Japan into live mode, but I just keep running into all kinds of ups and downs with trying to find the right members. Ugh!

Funny, you should mention those 2 bands: I an currently studying them to see what I can gain from them. Some of the best metal I have ever heard in my life!

Funny, you should mention those 2 bands: I an currently studying them to see what I can gain from them. Some of the best metal I have ever heard in my life!

Yeah, dude! That's some good practice right there. If you can learn to play Stratovarius' instrumental songs perfectly, then it means that your alternate picking is practically perfect. ^_^ I'm just barely starting to be able to pull off Stratosphere, but there are still others to master, too. (like Stratofortress!!!)

As for Rhapsody, if you can master some of Luca Turili's solos it'll be some really impressive sweep picking action. Unfortunately, I don't have a book of that and I can't figure out a sweep picking solo by ear because they're just so dang fast.

Good luck to the both of us eh!