Problem with my internet connection

Domukaz

For reference, I'm using my stepdad's computer to type this. His computer is connected directly to the Internet. Mine has a wireless connection.

A few days ago, I cold-booted my computer to get rid of a game of Uplink. I wouldn't have done this had Uplink disappeared from the screen, but every time I tried to quit the game, the screen would freeze. I had done this a few times before, so I figured that nothing would happen. I was wrong. This time, I rebooted my computer to find that all of the documents and files in My Documents and My Pictures had disappeared, that Steam, Uplink, and several programs had disappeared, and that my Internet connection no longer worked properly.

I use the D-Link AirPlus Configuration Utility, and no matter which settings I tried, I would not be able to connect. On the one time that I was able to connect, none of my Internet browsers worked. They refused to get me online. Even though the configuration utility is from D-Link, my current wireless router is a 2.4 GHz Linksys Wireless G.

At the moment, my connection configuration (which does not work) has open authorization, and WEP encryption with a 128-bit key. I have tried to be as thorough as possible to lay bare the errors I have made. If anyone can help me out here, that would be great. If I have missed anything, please ask me and I'll get the information for you.

It looks like you're logged in as a different user.

Go to control panel, users, and see what the valid logins are.

Log off, then try logging in to each of them. One of them should have all your stuff on it, including the application that starts your wireless.

I had this happen to me a few years ago. Drack's got the right idea. Most likely all your files are safe and sound, but not quite accessible. In my case, I had a second copy of windows installed, and I just poked around files in the old windows until I found my things.