REASON 4 - it's actually here!

hmm.. well I Dont think we can save or render... its weird I saw posts on the forums about the save function doing weird things, and this guy has a reason 4 song on myspace apparantly.

The ones who can save/render is the oldies, they've been betatesting since Reason 2.5

If you find a lot of bugs and prove useful to props they can give you the full version as a thanks. As it is now, only eXode, neoverse and a couple of other regulars has it ;)

is there an NDA or anything on this? are you guys allowed to post screenshots? I've heard it's a lot cleaner than V3

I ask because I downloaded the demo of V3, and the thing is a total mess to navigate.

I like the sounds it can produce, but it's such a pain to navigate i'm not sure I have the patience to drop a year just to learn the interface. Even the video tutorial on their site are only marginally helpful.

is there an NDA or anything on this? are you guys allowed to post screenshots? I've heard it's a lot cleaner than V3

I ask because I downloaded the demo of V3, and the thing is a total mess to navigate.

I like the sounds it can produce, but it's such a pain to navigate i'm not sure I have the patience to drop a year just to learn the interface. Even the video tutorial on their site are only marginally helpful.

We can't post anything, sorry :)

But there are screenshots of the new sequencer on props reason 4 website?

also, I find Reason 3 a lot easier than almost anything I've tried O.o

I think the main issue for me is that every single addon (subtractor, malstrom, redrum, etc.) has a different interface. Not being uniform makes it very intimidating to learn.

There is a lot of cool stuff though; The piano roll is pretty ugly visually, but editing velocities is easy and fun. Not being able to zoom more than 100% sucks on my monitor as well.

I couldn't find staff notation either, might not have been in the demo. :-(

It looks like a super-powerful and sweet program, but I think that I'll pass.

Their interface is one of the easiest to learn........ I understood the whole program in about a week.

Their interface is one of the easiest to learn........ I understood the whole program in about a week.

Well, I spent a lot of years using fruityloops, I was using it since 2.3 or something, and when I made the transition to reason... well suffice to say is that it wasn't very pleasant, specially with the piano roll (I use it normally now and actually find it more efficient than fl's, it's just a matter of getting used to and knowing how it works and the proper shorcuts).

However what kept me going at it, and trying to learn it was how fun it was to mess around with the parameters and cables, this interactivity level is something that keeps it fun and fresh imho.

So yeah, for someone accustomed to some other software, they can have a hard time getting into Reason.

Well, I spent a lot of years using fruityloops, I was using it since 2.3 or something, and when I made the transition to reason... well suffice to say is that it wasn't very pleasant, specially with the piano roll (I use it normally now and actually find it more efficient than fl's, it's just a matter of getting used to and knowing how it works and the proper shorcuts).

However what kept me going at it, and trying to learn it was how fun it was to mess around with the parameters and cables, this interactivity level is something that keeps it fun and fresh imho.

So yeah, for someone accustomed to some other software, they can have a hard time getting into Reason.

amen to that.

of course, i'm using ReWire now...=p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To quote from their site directly: "The price for the full version of Reason remains the same at EUR449 / USD499. There is also a discounted upgrade available for owners of previous versions of Reason. The upgrade is EUR99 / USD129."

Aside from that, does anybody know if Reason 4 will support multi-core (dual/quad/etc.) processors?

To quote from their site directly: "The price for the full version of Reason remains the same at EUR449 / USD499. There is also a discounted upgrade available for owners of previous versions of Reason. The upgrade is EUR99 / USD129."

Aside from that, does anybody know if Reason 4 will support multi-core (dual/quad/etc.) processors?

There was a lot of commotion about cores during beta. I can't for the life of me remember if they actually implemented it in the end. but my (very qualified) guess would be no. It's not adapted for multi-core processors. However if you actually own a registered copy of reason (if you don't, feel ashamed) you can easily log on to the forums at propellerheads.se and ask for yourself

Well on my laptop it's pretty clear Reason 3 doesn't support multi-core processors, especially when running a heavy song, one CPU will be dancing and prancing around 60-80% while the other would be chilling around at 5-10% just running typical background system processes. And I did look through propellerhead's site along with searching through different forums at places, the general consensus seems to be that Reason 4 won't support multi-core processors either, which is too bad... =/