REASON 4 - it's actually here!

I've always been impressed with the quality of some of the work that comes out of Reason software. Has no VST support ever popped as a huge setback for this? I'm just wondering, because I'm interested =P

Honestly. no, not at all. I find myself being more creative in Reason.

BUT, I do like plugins, so if I need a badass mastering plug or a certain effect I just can't recreate, I rewire into ProTools or Ableton Live. That's the solution if you've got money or the system to support it.

But as I said, I like Reason as it is

Well on my laptop it's pretty clear Reason 3 doesn't support multi-core processors, especially when running a heavy song, one CPU will be dancing and prancing around 60-80% while the other would be chilling around at 5-10% just running typical background system processes. And I did look through propellerhead's site along with searching through different forums at places, the general consensus seems to be that Reason 4 won't support multi-core processors either, which is too bad... =/

:o so THATS why my new laptop runs at a high CPU load.... despite being like 2 times better than my old compy :(

That said, still not sure if I'l get R4... the interface really pissed me off...

Yep, you guys can always do what I did and send them a user feedback email or say something in the feature suggestion forum to see if they'll listen after enough people voice their desire for some multi-core support. But if you've got a multi-core processor with more than 2GHz processing speed per CPU then I figure you shouldn't have anything to worry about as long as Thor isn't some CPU eating monster. Though I do wonder if there could be any strange hardware related problems with overheating if one CPU is doing 60-80% for a long time while the other is barely doing anything... eh, probably not, right?

Ah, my laptop's an intel dual core with both CPUs at 1.6GHz. Once while casually surfing the web and having a couple other apps open, I played Sir_Nuts's DeefNutsyGroove.rns and after 20 seconds when the song reached a more complicated part, Reason stops and tell me my computer is too slow to play the song ;(

So to me, at least, multi-core support would really be handy, especially since I think Thor and the new sequencer may take more cpu than normal.

Hey guys, check this out:

----------------------------------------------------

Re:(Case 37136) Reason Feedback

Hi [Knives's real name],

Thanks for your input on this. I have forwarded your e-mail to the Reason product manager.

Best regards,

Leo Nathorst-Boos

Pretty cool, huh? That chances are now 0.2% greater that they'll implement Reason 4 with multi-core support. w00t :D

Hey guys, check this out:

Re:(Case 37136) Reason Feedback

Hi [Knives's real name],

Thanks for your input on this. I have forwarded your e-mail to the Reason product manager.

Best regards,

Leo Nathorst-Boos

Pretty cool, huh? That chances are now 0.2% greater that they'll implement Reason 4 with multi-core support. w00t :D

Yeah Leo is great ;) he sent me a personal birthday greeting and USB stick for 18year present lol

Honestly. no, not at all. I find myself being more creative in Reason.

Indeed. Though I don't make half the music I used to make some time ago (Something called real life hates my free time) everytime I have the chance I have a lot of fun with reason. In Fl sometimes I was too lazy and just popped some presets from my VST's, but Reason always makes me want to do my own sounds. For me, VST support is something that frankly I don't miss.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new R4 tools though. So many new possibilities..

This may or may not be a newbie question, but what exactly is the difference between the old matrix sequencer and the new arpeggiator in R4? Couldn't you use the matrix sequencer as an arpeggiator?

not in the same way since the matrix is preprogrammed notes. the RPG-8 is arpeggiationg the notes you hold down (that's ONE of it's uses)

you can use the matrix as a rough arpeggiator though (using cv connections with the gate/pitch outpu/inputs) but the RPG-8 is focused on that function =).

See, I don't even know this stuff! That's why Nutsy here rules ;P

Also, Knives, two of my tracks are in the FF7 project, when you get that check it out. It's all Reason and some of Nuts's great patches too :)

Oh, you can count on it, I'm downloading the whole project right now and I'm gonna listen to all of in a bit :D

EDIT: And I knew you could make an arpeggiator out of the matrix sequencer SOMEHOW, lol... oh and whaddya know, VotL just finished downloading, I'm off to go listen to it =)

Woo, those were some sweet tunes, AS. Interesting story though: While I was listening to VotL my brother comes in the room for 5 seconds to pick something up and outta nowhere he says, "Is that mixed in Reason? (referring to the currently playing track)" I said, "Lemme check," and it was AS's "Golden Feathers" XD. He's got sharp ears. But, nonetheless, all the songs on the album that used Reason sounded really nice, including Tweek's stuff =)

I'd ask why stuff made in Reason usually SOUNDS like it was made in Reason... but when Reason generates, mixes and exports the song using it's synthesizers, mixer and audio engine, it'd be kinda hard for the song not to sound like it was made in Reason =/

Is the rewire client going to be the same as R3 or will they be upgrading it which will effectively screw up all Rewire connections I have for Pro Tools and Live.

Anyone know?

probably the same, but since you can now change timesigs and and tempo there might be trouble but live. During beta most people could rewire perfectly tho.

ALSO YOU USE MY COMING SET-UP :D nice tweek, share your production tips!

Woo, those were some sweet tunes, AS. Interesting story though: While I was listening to VotL my brother comes in the room for 5 seconds to pick something up and outta nowhere he says, "Is that mixed in Reason? (referring to the currently playing track)" I said, "Lemme check," and it was AS's "Golden Feathers" XD. He's got sharp ears. But, nonetheless, all the songs on the album that used Reason sounded really nice, including Tweek's stuff =)

I'd ask why stuff made in Reason usually SOUNDS like it was made in Reason... but when Reason generates, mixes and exports the song using it's synthesizers, mixer and audio engine, it'd be kinda hard for the song not to sound like it was made in Reason =/

It's true tha Reason sounds Reason. but I like Reason :D

Also I'm now trying to expand my setup to Live and ProTools too (damn PT won't start because i upgraded OS tho..) so maybe I'll loose the sounds soon. even though I don't want to :D

@ Tweek: I heard there were no major "techincal" changes in R4 itself, stuff like adding multi-core support or rewriting the audio engine... so I figure rewire would be the same as well, not a 100% sure though.

@ AS: lol... I looked it up and PT is damn weird. I can't figure out what all the different verisons are for and why they are so picky with midi controllers, OS's and soundcards. It look really nice though, and for 250USD (m-powered) it's kinda tempting to get. I heard some people get Reason and use it solely as the primary synthesizer for their host (cubase, live, pro tools, etc) because it emulates hardware well. Another thing you could do, if you're familiar with synthesis, is to layer a Reason synth over a vsti synth (=O) to get some really wicked results :D

@ AS: lol... I looked it up and PT is damn weird. I can't figure out what all the different verisons are for and why they are so picky with midi controllers, OS's and soundcards. It look really nice though, and for 250USD (m-powered) it's kinda tempting to get. I heard some people get Reason and use it solely as the primary synthesizer for their host (cubase, live, pro tools, etc) because it emulates hardware well. Another thing you could do, if you're familiar with synthesis, is to layer a Reason synth over a vsti synth (=O) to get some really wicked results :D

Reason is a great source of sound in any studio, and that's final :)