Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Cold Feet'

Yep, my 4th ice cap remix in as many weeks. Anyways this one is the first serious one I've done, so I thought I'd share it here. It's in a style reminiscent of mid to late 60's pop/rock bands (like The Beatles, The Animals, etc). Ultimately I plan to add some vocals, but I seem to say that about every WIP I make but rarely actually get around to doing it (with few exceptions). So we'll see how it goes. I'll update this post as I make changes/additions.

6/19/07 22:39 - Sonic 3 - Cold Feet (v3) - Added a gimmicky ending. I'll work on blending the fade and syncing later

6/19/07 18:21 - Sonic 3 - Cold Feet (v2) - Added a segue into the guitar solo, sketched out a basic guitar solo

6/19/07 15:00 - Sonic 3 - Cold Feet (v1) - Just a sketch so far

As usual, comments and feedback are appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Awesome as always.

The organ sort of reminds me of Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale for some reason.

Lose the fake vinyl 'ticks', or at least tone them down, please. They'd be okay for an intro or an ending, but I don't think they fit in through the whole song.

The drums sound good, but I don't know if they work well with the era you're trying to emulate, the snare sample particularly.

EDIT: Now listening to version two: I like what you've done with the drum fill near the beginning. Also, the WIP guitar solo works pretty well.

Do you have any idea what sort of lyrics you'll be using? Lyrics related to the overall theme of the game/level, or something completely original?

Lose the fake vinyl 'ticks', or at least tone them down, please. They'd be okay for an intro or an ending, but I don't think they fit in through the whole song.

Ahh those aren't vinyl ticks, that crackling is from having Guitar Rig set on low CPU. It takes too damn long to render otherwise, especially for just a basic sketch. They'll be gone in the final renders though.

The drums sound good, but I don't know if they work well with the era you're trying to emulate, the snare sample particularly.

I don't have a large selection of good snare samples, but I'll see what I can do with tweaking the EQ and reverb and stuff.

Do you have any idea what sort of lyrics you'll be using? Lyrics related to the overall theme of the game/level, or something completely original?

Honestly I have no idea what the lyrics are gonna be yet, but I have a pretty clear picture in my mind of what they will sound like, if that makes any sense. :P

Thanks for the feedback. :)

6/19/07 22:39 - Sonic 3 - Cold Feet (v3) - Added a gimmicky ending. I'll work on blending the fade and syncing later

I seriously hope you don't plan on keeping that for the ending. Gwilym Running Naked Across The Frozen Tundra was good, but I'd much rather you make an actual ending rather than using what you've got there. Even an equally gimmicky fade out would fit better in my opinion.

I definitely love the vibe you have going on, the arrangement is straightforward, but it definitely works.

This might sound like a weird suggestion, but I'd absolutely LOVE to hear vocals. During the section where the piano dropped out, and the focus shifted to the organ and the bass, the soundscape became a little empty, and vocals would just sound so awesome there. But anyway, that's just my opinion. Definitely finish this.

• 4 weeks later...