There is a fire burning close to my house.

Nicole Adams

Around 2:00 PM today a fire broke out about three miles away from my house. The sky is an eerie orange and ashes are blowing this way. Helicopters are constantly flying right over the house to and from the fire. We get a lot of fires around this area since it's so dry, but this is the first time one has been so close to where I live. I must say I'm a little scared now. :sad:

Okay, it looks like our area is safe. The fire seems to be burning somewhat parallel to our street, heading east. It took out the high school's football field, but thankfully none of the buildings were destroyed. Still, the fire has engulfed around 2,500 acres and a range of 180 to 225 buildings. Last night we went a little up the mountain the fire was on and looking at it was just so surreal. As egotistical as it sounds, it felt like the end of the world with all the people outside looking at it. This is the worst fire this area has seen in 50 years and I'm not surprised. It's incredible how much structural and emotional damage it has caused.

Happy Birthday, even though I know it's likely not. :(

For those who don't know, I saw this story on Wii News and it's pretty serious. At least, I think this is the fire she's talking about. The fire was in a forest that had experienced a dry winter. There was also a lot of wind, so embers could hop from the tops of trees and make things that much more difficult for the firefighters.

Around 200 homes lost, 3,000 acres from the last time I checked. It was also near a resort town, so some people may have their Independence Day celebrations ruined.

Guessin' we're talking about the Tahoe fire. I can see it from San Francisco (The smoke, that is. No flames).

There's a hill I live pretty much juuuust across that manages to catch fire somehow every year. Fire guys always arrive in time. It's all dry weeds up there, so we're pretty lucky.

There was a pretty smoky fire on Treasure Island last week. Lotsa smoke, plus it made me late for work.

Hope everything works out for you.

And, uh... never heed this advice...

use_fire4.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is way late. Yes, I was talking about the Tahoe fire. It jumped over to my side of the highway so I ran out of my work to pack pretty much my entire room and make way to one of the hotels. It was so chaotic. The fantabulous firefighters did a good job and kept the fire from reaching my neighborhood and others on this side of the highway, though. Still, something like this could easily happen again since it's so dry here.

Still, something like this could easily happen again since it's so dry here.

This is something I have been wondering about for years. You have these fires, what, every friggin' year? And every time it's the same; not enough firefighters, not enough helicopters etc. You'd expect something would be done about this, but no...

This is something I have been wondering about for years. You have these fires, what, every friggin' year? And every time it's the same; not enough firefighters, not enough helicopters etc. You'd expect something would be done about this, but no...

Not to delve too deeply into this topic, but that's kind of hard to do. It's possible to try and keep the area moist, but with the conditions, that doesn't last long at all. And aren't most of the firefighters and helicopters from other areas? You can't really expect those to always be around if they're not yours.

Edit: Also:

It was so chaotic. The fantabulous firefighters did a good job and kept the fire from reaching my neighborhood and others on this side of the highway, though.

That's fantastic news. Good to hear it.

basically unless you plan on razing earth til nothing is left in sight--there will always be fuel for fires to burn and spread.

basically unless you plan on razing earth til nothing is left in sight--there will always be fuel for fires to burn and spread.

Yeah, but a lot of the people around here are wondering why the forest service doesn't remove some of the trees in remote areas. It could help, especially if it's windy and a fire makes its way to treetops and spreads that way. This is what happened in the fire and ground crews couldn't do much to hold it back until the wind died down.