OCR01591 - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Tattered Slippers"

djpretzel

This is definitely one my favorite pieces on here, dark and sorrowful, but dynamic. Great instrumentation all around........the ending with Zelda's Lullaby is a great touch too, kind of giving the sorrowful, minor key song a happy, bright conclusion. Excellent stuff : )

Its been quite a while since I've payed OCR a visit, and I cannot think of a much better remix to find waiting for me.

Firstly, Midna is my favorite character from any zelda game, and the themes asociated with her character also hold a very high place among my favorites.

This is an excellent arrangement. It flows from one theme to the next very well. As always, the interaction between the instruments is jaw dropping.

Thrilled with this remix as I may be though, I do have some comments.

I'd say your lead instrument early on (at about 0:51) I think its a high basoon. Is a bit too loud for my tastes. I'd have mad eit a bit more subdued. it tends to overpower everything else, and this portion of the rmeix is definately not about one instrument soaring to the foreround over the others.

I would have liked to see midna's main theme take the lead just a bit more. There were several themes included that tended to distract from your focus. I would liek to heav seen midna's desperation and possibly midna's theme get drawn out a bit more.

and lastly as someone els ementioned, the brass isnt the greatest quality ever, but it doesnt detract from the mix much. Even still, I would kill to hear this played live.

Excellent job Darkesword . keep up the great work!

What an excellent mix to open up the doors for Nintendo's latest journey into Hyrule. The piece is beautiful, the source is used wonderfully, and I couldn't be happier to have heard it. Great work as always, DarkeSword

I'm kinda tepid on this one myself. It seems to be a throwback to some of your earlier stuff like ancient hero and a deus ex harpa than a continuation of the velvety, synthy style you've otherwise developed (such as stranger in the desert, father of all, torvus clockwork). Maybe that's what you were going for; I don't know. The arrangement to me feels more meandering than wondering, with midna's desperation really dragged out without very much alteration and lots of time with not a lot going on (2:55-3:15, for example). The sound quality and production is fine, although I felt at many points it sounded kinda soupy between the brass, strings, synths, and choir all blending together. Maybe I'm being a little overly critical, especially since you may have been doing all of this on purpose, but I see this as far from your best work.

Nice track. :)

You have some beautiful ideas in there and some all around great sounds. A tiny handful of the transitions (like at 2:00) are only slightly awkward, but that's about it.

I'll definitely be listening to this more than just a few times, in order to really let it sink in.

All in all, it really does what I think it sets out to do and takes the listener on an interesting and dynamic orchestral journey. It especially sweetens up in about the last minute or so.

0:16 got my attention, but then, at 0:51....SOLD!

My one gripe about it would be the snare. I don't think it particularly cooperates with the overall style, but the rest is beautiful. Remixing an already excellent source is really tough, so kudos to DarkeSword for doing a very nice job.

The original track is one of the few scores to ever (and I mean EVER) give me a true sense of urgency while playing a game.

From a lurker on the forums and lurking the actual site for 5 or 6 years now...I have to say, wow. The emotion presented in this one was enough to warrent me to go for my first post. It gave me chills, and is being added to my iPod right away.

Darkesword, truly amazing work, definatley keep up the good work.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed with any remix I've heard from DarkeSword, and this one's no exception. Not my favorite remix from him, but one I'm still going to keep. It might be a little too mellow, since it really doesn't keep my interest as much as his previous work.

The woodwinds are very nice. So is the orchestration. I know that good brass samples are hard to find so it's understandable that they weren't "professional" but you still did a very good job integrating whatever brass samples you used. Same for percussion. The snare suffered a little but it's the effort that counts and the orchestration makes up for the lack of that. I love the flowing smoothness of this piece. I'm a sucker for a great melody and deep flowing woodwinds... what can I say? :wink: Very nice Job guys!!!!

-Derek-

DarkeSword beats Rellik to first TP mix?! Impossible! Or actually very, very possible... at least you didn't take the material I want :D I officially call dibs on a complete ripoff of Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts for Midna's main theme (whether I can handle it or not is another story). I kind of forgot all about OCR until I read that press release in my e-mail today, but it's nice to come back and hear some stuff from good old Darke! Maybe I'll stretch EWQLSO Gold Pro XP's legs a bit with a Midna mix of my own, as a hold over until I can get a jazz band together :P (a hold over until the end of time is not a hold over, mind you)

With regards to the mix at hand, the harp and woodwinds sound fantastic. Very atmospheric stuff - the backing padding of overarching strings and choir makes for a very deep feeling, really reminiscent of the kinds of times the source material would play, actually. Nice arrangement, although I feel like some of the parts were pretty stilted at times, and realism tended to go way down the tubes during the parts with faster strings or brass (can't blame you for any of that, though, I'm not much better, even with my new super-expensive orchestral libraries :(). Interesting choice of reverb, I think it fits really well :D

Congratulations on the first of what I hope will become a long line of Twilight Princess mixes!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01591 - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Tattered Slippers"