Homeworld Kadeshi Remix

Nutritious

I've been working on some Homeworld mixes lately, so I figured I'd try and get some feedback to improve them. Basically, my premise is to take some of the tracks from the game and rearrange them with "real" instruments (orchestral, guitar, drums) rather than electronic or ambient genres. One I've been working on is a remix of the tracks in the game that deal with the Kadesh:

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com/HomeworldKadeshiRemixV3.mp3

This remix covers several tracks in the game. Level ambience for the Garden of Kadesh level from :00 - 1:04 (Track04), meeting with the Kadesh Ambassador from 1:04 - 1:45(Track23), and Kadesh Swarmer Battle from 1:46-2:53(Track15).

Just cuts off for now at the end as that section hasn't been developed a whole lot yet. Also, I haven't decided yet if I'd end up submitting this to OCR, but I'd like to improve it nonetheless.

Nice ambience, though I think the buildup went for a little too long. The brass hits starting at 1:24ish were a little to bright initially, but as the rest of the track settled in, ended up being about right.

Samples throughout are good, and the drums are cool. I'm not sure what you are using for a guitar synth, but it sounds pretty sweet. Not exacly natural, but very cool regardless.

I'd say at this point you have a good start and just need to crank out more material; barring the exceedingly loing intro, this is great work.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com/HomeworldKadeshiRemixV3.mp3

-Changed up transition a bit between the level ambience and battle themes. I can remember which song I got the ethnic-sounding chord ideas from, but I like the feel more than before. Probably needs a little smoothing out.

-Something happened to the drum loop that I made for this song when I was backing up my files - can't find where I compiled it. So I tried to recreate it from scratch. Close enough I think.

-Last section is a definite changeup in the chords used. It has the same basis as the rest of the battle section, but has a much lighter feel than the rest.

Haven't really messed with the intro much yet. It is pretty long and meandering, but if you listen to the source and much of the game's original music, that's the feel of the tracks.

I loved this soundtrack. It conveyed a feeling of loneliness, and it made you scared of the alien (and by alien I mean unknown, foreign) enemies you faced.

I can't really recognize any of the original themes in here, but that's just me. 2:05 and on sounds more like Starcraft (Zerg) than Homeworld.

What are you using for your bass drum? I could really use the sample / instrument for a soundtrack I'm working on. Think you could send it to me or tell me where to get it?

I can't really recognize any of the original themes in here, but that's just me. 2:05 and on sounds more like Starcraft (Zerg) than Homeworld.

What are you using for your bass drum? I could really use the sample / instrument for a soundtrack I'm working on. Think you could send it to me or tell me where to get it?

Well, I admit it's hard to pick out some of the themes here, especially when it's an adaptation from ambient music. I'll try and break it down:

-The first part of the track follows track 4 from the OST (link in first post). Listen to the first few seconds of the remix, then start up the first few seconds of track 4 and you'll see what I mean I think.

-1:04 - 1:24 I adapted from track 23, compare it with the start of the track

-1:25 - 2:10 is taken from track 15 beginning

-Guitar-ish synth at 2:11 is taken from the vocal chanting in track 15 1:47 - 1:59

-At 2:26 it follows the melody played from Track 15 at 2:22 which is repeated later

-Rest of the track is variations on Track 15

The bass drum is from Squidfont Orchestral's mellow orchestra kit with some EQ added in.

• 4 weeks later...