Selling games to Gamestop/EB

Person Man

It's always better to sell to a friend than to EB Games. You'll get very little return on your initial purchase, even if the games are recent. The *most* I've ever gotten for a DS game is $20 CDN (~$18-$19 US or so, at the moment) and most go for much less than that. PC games tend to be worse too, because piracy isn't as much of an issue with console and handheld games.

If you want to sell a game, sell it to a friend or even consider eBay first. If that doesn't work, then take it to EB Games, because it's better to have credit against a future game purchase (or just put it towards a title you're buying at the same time) than have the game sit around and not be played, but do this as a last resort. If there's any chance you'll play the game again, keep it instead of trading it.

Edit: The previous post came in while I was responding.

EB Games in Canada has never had issues with CD Keys in general; they do, however, care about CD keys that are tied to some kind of online account or are in some other way one use only. For example, I couldn't trade in Guild Wars, because the Guild Wars CD key is tied to my online Guild Wars account; Neverwinter Nights, however, had no such problem, despite you being able to register your CD keys on Bioware's site, because you don't need to be the only one playing with a key to play the game. Then again, this is true in Canada but might not be in the US or at Gamestop (we don't have them up here, just EB Games).

I find trading into EB to be decent. For example, I got $22 store credit (they don't give cash refunds) for Fire Emblem GC. EB gives much, much more for games you normally just play through once, like RPGs. Sports games, though? My roommate last year tried to trade in a limited edition version of Madden 2006.... They offered him a DOLLAR for it.

Basically, if you're planning on trading in a game that normally has annual sequels/updates, don't bother.

Gamespot/EB is pretty much a "current systems only" store chain now. XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, XBox 360, PS3, GBA, DS, PSP, and (for the moment) GB/GBC are all they take back game-wise. They won't accept games or systems that are older than the ones listed, and they no longer take PC trade-ins (they don't sell them used anymore either). Also, as others have stated, most game series that gets regular updates aren't worth the gas it would take to drive them over there, since at most you'll only get a buck or two.

So as long as what you have to trade in doesn't fall into those areas, you might (key word there is MIGHT) get some decent money for it. Otherwise, save your gas and just hang on to them.

1) They won't take any pc games that require a CD key

2) They give you almost nothing for your trade ins.

Don't bother.

At my local one they don't really buy PC games, because they insist "every PC game has a CD key" I tried trading in Jedi Academy i think and they wouldn't take it. They give you shit money anyway, you'll be lucky to be 1/3rd the price. I traded in spiderman3 and got 23 bucks i think, though that's a decent deal considering how horrible that game is.

Hey I was wondering if anyone has sold any of their used games to Gamestop or EB; if so was the money worth the time and effort? I have a lot of fairly recent PC games that I don't play anymore and was thinking of clearing up space in my room. Thanks.

They give you a third of whatever the game sells for used.

So an game worth $18 dollars used will net you $6 bucks, and whatnot.