The Oh so "fun" Sytrus

Sytrus is a reaal large plugin...and a costly one. The problem is, I don't know how to edit the sounds. Especially when I try to change the attack and decline settings, nothing happens, so I'm stuck with sounds that don't fade in or out, just go WHAM!! I do use other samples sure, but I really, really want to be able to use Sytrus to its full potential...any tips here?

Thanks, much appreciated.

there's literally 101 ways to ADSR everything in sytrus.

On the main screen at the top, there's an ADSR for both volume and filters.

Clicking the various OP tabs, then clicking VOL, then ENV gives you the option to ADSR that particular wave.

You can either make your own ADSR by fiddling with the lines, or if you push the little circle at the bottom left, you can use the ADSR knobs.

Same thing with the filter tabs, and a majority of the other tabs.

there's literally 101 ways to ADSR everything in sytrus.

On the main screen at the top, there's an ADSR for both volume and filters.

Clicking the various OP tabs, then clicking VOL, then ENV gives you the option to ADSR that particular wave.

You can either make your own ADSR by fiddling with the lines, or if you push the little circle at the bottom left, you can use the ADSR knobs.

Same thing with the filter tabs, and a majority of the other tabs.

I did exactly as you explained (in fact I've tried those before) and the sound is exactly the same. I think there is something blocking my changes when, I change the ADSR of the Main Tab or OP1, etc. Because I reduced the attack time on the main and the op 1 and it didn't seem to process - it sounded exactly the same.

Sytrus sure does havea lot of envelopes, huh? My big mistake when editing sounds is fogeting that. Keep in mind that the filters have volume envelopes as well as cut envelopes... and resonance, and... well, you get the idea. To make an attack softer, I often have to adjust many envelopes. If I'm just looking for volume changes, I usually just edit the last envelope, and leave the rest disabled - this is usually the filter.

My other mistake is fogeting just which envelopes I've set to be active - disabled envelopes do not effect the sound at all, and do not auto-enable when you edit them. So make sure the envelope you are editing is enabled.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that if you are editing presets, the envelopes are sometimes "locked", simply to prevent stray mouseclicks from borking the careful tweaking up. I think the button to unlock them is down in the bottom right of the env thingy - near the snap button and whatnot. I think. I'm on vacation, so I don't have sytrus in front of me.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Sytrus sure does havea lot of envelopes, huh? My big mistake when editing sounds is fogeting that. Keep in mind that the filters have volume envelopes as well as cut envelopes... and resonance, and... well, you get the idea. To make an attack softer, I often have to adjust many envelopes. If I'm just looking for volume changes, I usually just edit the last envelope, and leave the rest disabled - this is usually the filter.

My other mistake is fogeting just which envelopes I've set to be active - disabled envelopes do not effect the sound at all, and do not auto-enable when you edit them. So make sure the envelope you are editing is enabled.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that if you are editing presets, the envelopes are sometimes "locked", simply to prevent stray mouseclicks from borking the careful tweaking up. I think the button to unlock them is down in the bottom right of the env thingy - near the snap button and whatnot. I think. I'm on vacation, so I don't have sytrus in front of me.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

That's cool, I figured out a way to change it actually :D. I just change the shape of the oscilator "bars" so that the sound comes in slowly and ends slowly. Thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, actually the problem still hasn't been properly fixed. And to make matters worse, when I change a knob or the osculator, nothing happens, the default sound remains the same. I know for a fact that the attack and release commands should make the sound fade in and fade out if turned correctly - but it doesn't work! And yes, I clicked the little "enable" button in the volume control tab.

Is it possible that my Sytrus is corrupt :S? Need help please.

Hoboka: I have no idea what is going on. I would try re-installing Sytrus (backup any presets you have made!) or perhaps all of FL studio.

Xelebes: I <3 Sytrus's interface. Its got just the right amount of info on each panel, and the tabs are a good way of accessing the rest of the infomation. At least, thats how it seems to me. May I ask just what you don't like about it?

Hoboka: I have no idea what is going on. I would try re-installing Sytrus (backup any presets you have made!) or perhaps all of FL studio.

Xelebes: I <3 Sytrus's interface. Its got just the right amount of info on each panel, and the tabs are a good way of accessing the rest of the infomation. At least, thats how it seems to me. May I ask just what you don't like about it?

The only thing I didn't, yes in past-tense, was the HUGE selection of different knobs and buttons you can press to edit the sounds. I'm understanding them a bit more, but they just don't work for Sytrus at all, since it isn't responding to change.

Well, I don't know how to make my own pad or synth yet, but I can at least edit pre-made ones...sort of.

BTW, how do I reinstall Sytrus...moreover how do I uninstall it to reinstall it? :S

Before you go reinstalling stuff, load one of the Sytrus presets. Are they all broken too? Can you adjust one of the same knobs that didn't work earlier when you've got a preset loaded?

I'd suspect that you don't quite understand the workings of the synth or have forgotten to do something somewhere, and that's why the knobs seem to not be working.

The only thing I didn't, yes in past-tense, was the HUGE selection of different knobs and buttons you can press to edit the sounds. I'm understanding them a bit more, but they just don't work for Sytrus at all, since it isn't responding to change.

Well, I don't know how to make my own pad or synth yet, but I can at least edit pre-made ones...sort of.

BTW, how do I reinstall Sytrus...moreover how do I uninstall it to reinstall it? :S

I like editing the patches but that's all I can really do. It isn't really fun at all making your own patches because of the convulated way the synth is programmed. If I want a delay, I will add one in myself. If I want to add an fm routing, let me actually see what's going on! I don't know - they just tacked too much things onto it that it is very hard to dig into the inner workings of the synthesiser. It is so superficial that it seems that I am stuck on the presets and warping them - which is no fun at all.