Hot Springs Arkansas Cop vs. Skaters

Wintermute

Cop runs kid down and wrestles girl to floor. Amazing!

Seriously, this happens all the time in just about every state. I can't bring myself to feel sympathy for kids who aggravate the situation and continue to push buttons until the officer/rent-a-cop in question finally snaps. If you had a job where random groups of teenagers went out of their way to piss you off because to them you're The Man and therefore oppressive, you'd want to kick their asses too.

They had it coming. Come on, you're one cop at first dealing with a couple of teenagers full of that teenage rebellion so you gotta look out for yourself. Running from the cop and approaching him with the skateboard as if they were about to do something was stupid.

I don't really see how wrestling some kids to the floor, who seem to be resisting and causing trouble, to cuff them is excessive force. Its not like he was beating them with his stick or even hitting them as far as I saw. I only skimmed the video though...

I dunno, just seems he was manhandling that kid and a few others later on (had the girl in a choke hold at some point).

The video doesn't really show whats going on though, what'd the kids do besides be skateboarding? They didn't do anything threatening before that. Although it was rather unwise of them to try to run, resisting arrest is a no no isn't it?

I don't really pass any judgment cause I can't see whats going on.

I guess mostly I'm just wondering, why is this officer trying to arrest the kid in the first place? And why is he going so crazy about it?

I would like to know why he is arresting them and taking the time to chase them down too. I just don't really think he was necessarily using "excessive force"...Like I said, he's not exactly beating up on them. The worst those kids can complain about is some minor bruises, maybe a scrape or two.

I believe the only reason he handcuffed and subdued everyone is because they decided to flee and aggravate the cop. OH SO UNFAIR QQ

exactly, the crime in question is not skateboarding. it is fleeing from the police. yelling at the cop "he was skateboarding! its like a yoyo!" over and over probably didn't help much.

so next time a cop tells you to come there. go or else its fleeing the police and is considered disorderly conduct.

what abunch of retards... honestly.

So basically he arrest one, and the rest egged him on into arresting all of them, or trying to and having to chaise them all down.

Subduing them is fine since they were all running off resisting arrest and so on, putting them in strangle holds isn't though, that's the bit that I think might be just a wee bit excessive.

And why did the police officer go after the person with the camera and put them under arrest? He didn't seem to be doing or saying anything. (Although I must admit the audio is really fuzzy, and its kind of hard to follow what's going on anyway).

I would like to know why he is arresting them and taking the time to chase them down too. I just don't really think he was necessarily using "excessive force"...Like I said, he's not exactly beating up on them. The worst those kids can complain about is some minor bruises, maybe a scrape or two.

That's all it takes to claim police brutality. I'm not sure if this really is an example of that though, so much as it is a video of a cop who snapped and some teenagers who don't know when to back off.

I'm not going to say that what the cop did was justified, as I'm sure he probably could have handled the situation better, and I'm not going to say the kids had it coming, but...

Kids skateboard in an area where skateboarding is prohibited, and there had been several complaints from people about skateboarding in that area. Cop sees them and tells them to stop. Kids skate away. The cop chases them down.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen a cop treat someone gently that they've just had to chase down. And then when you and you're friends mouth off to the cop during the entire ordeal...

This is a good video response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liihLc_jGWw

Not entirely a bad response, somewhat thought out.

Not really. That guy doesn't know the facts any more than any other random person watching the video does. Just another person with an opinion...and a video camera.

I dunno Shariq, just seems like the cop really was in the wrong. Now I know you know better than to do something stupid like resist arrest and the like, but what if you were that 13-year-old? What if you were hanging with friends, and skateboarding, and this same cop came up to you and threatened you right away instead of being calm, and being respectful until it was really time to get nasty?

It's not like he was dealing with prisoners, or a hardened criminal. He was dealing with children. CHILDREN. That should say something. Personally speaking, the kids in the video didn't look like they were threatening him at all. In fact, they were quite peaceful about it. The cop's the one that's being frantic.

Still, there's two sides to every story, and it'll all eventually come out in the end. And one way or another, the city will most likely have to hire another cop to replace this one.

seems a little excessive. I understand if they're fleeing that its the cops job to take them down, but seriously, the choking business, the grabbing around the neck and like he did with those two kids, really doesn't look good... at all. I respect the police for being out doing a dangerous job, but something about this just strikes me as excessive. The kids were doing everything wrong, arguing, not complying with the officer, AND RUNNING... but I don't think that justifies the cops behavior.

Kids skateboard in an area where skateboarding is prohibited, and there had been several complaints from people about skateboarding in that area. Cop sees them and tells them to stop. Kids skate away. The cop chases them down.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen a cop treat someone gently that they've just had to chase down. And then when you and you're friends mouth off to the cop during the entire ordeal...

Exactly. Most "victims" in videos like this don't show the slightest bit of willingness to cooperate or even talk logically (rather than stand there arguing all day and sit on the "I'm just having fun" soapbox), hang around to stick it to the man since they "aren't doing anything wrong", then break north when the officer is finally sick of their shit. I've seen it happen so many times down here, and I don't feel the least bit of pity for any them. If one of those bastards ran by me I'd stick a leg out and watch the fun. If you're "not doing anything wrong" then why are you tearing ass down the street? People like that are the reason there's such a huge bias against skater kids in general and half of the reason why people don't want skateboards in front of their place of business.

If I didn't hate the police in my area so much I'd almost be on their side. Almost.