Transformers

Maco70

The only sequel I would like to see is one that tries to follow the original movie's plot. Matrix of Leadership, Unicron, and the whole damn thing. It'd be outrageous and definitely couldn't be done without a movie (or two) in between, but that'd be freaking amazing to see the Autobots vs. OMFGPLANET fight with those animations.

There's one problem: Scale/size. Imagine a planet-sized TF on a realistic scale(Say, planet mode's about the size of Earth)

How do you defeat it? How do you damage it? How do you even begin to plan an attack on it?

There's one problem: Scale/size. Imagine a planet-sized TF on a realistic scale(Say, planet mode's about the size of Earth)

How do you defeat it? How do you damage it? How do you even begin to plan an attack on it?

Well, the typical "spray-n'-pray" theory is immediately thrown out the window. That much I'm sure about.

I would hate to spoil it for you...but it's been done. Either watch the 1986 movie, or read the wiki. I recommend the movie, it's pretty awesome.

I would hate to spoil it for you...but it's been done. Either watch the 1986 movie, or read the wiki. I recommend the movie, it's pretty awesome.

Sometimes when your hopes have all been shattered

And there's nowhere to turn

You wonder how you keep going

Think of all the things that really mattered

And the chances you've earned

The fire in your heart is growing

You can fly, if you try leaving the past behind

Heaven only knows what you might find

Dare - dare to believe you can survive

You hold the future in your hand

Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive

It's time to take a stand

And you can win, if you dare

Everybody's trying to break your spirit

Keeping you down

Seems like it's been forever

But there's another voice if you'll just hear it

Saying it's the last round

Looks like it's now or never

Out of the darkness you stumble into the light

Fighting for the things you know are right

The power is there at your command

It's time to take a stand

And you can win, if you dare

You hold the future in your hand

The power is there at your command

Dare - dare to keep all your love alive

Dare to be all you can be

Dare - 'cause there is a place where dreams survive

And it's calling you on to victory

_________

However the inner nerd in me has to point out that Unicron was about 50% the size of Cybertron in the movie, and was iirc about 25% in the pokemon series.

THere was talk of an aircraft carrier transformer for the sequels... and well, that may lead to how megatron would be saved... maybe...

THere was talk of an aircraft carrier transformer for the sequels... and well, that may lead to how megatron would be saved... maybe...

I'm thinking Tidal Wave or Depth Charge.

I predict Astrotrain's appearance.

Also, if there's no Six Shot, I'll be greatly disappointed...because he's just pure own.

I'm hoping we'll at least see Soundwave and Arcee. I think Arcee will probably be more likely than anyone else, because they've already placed her in the continuity as far as where she is, which they hadn't done with many Transformers outside the ones that appeared in the movie.

What annoys me is that she was GOING to be in the movie, but they didn't have time to explain the whole "female Transformer" deal. And apparently fans complained about having her in it as well, which is lame.

I saw the movie and honestly dont understand what it is that everyone sees in it thats soo great

nostalgia + robots + more nostalgia....

+ robots + nostalgia + nostalgia + robots + falling off bridges + robots + nostalgia....

+ more nostalgia...

+ robots

...... transforming robots...

...robots that are.... in disguise.

THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN, JUST BASK IN THE GREATNESS THAT IS TRANSFORMERS MAN! BASK DAMN YOU, BASK!!

Now lets all sit around a campfire, join hands, and sing.

I'm hoping we'll at least see Soundwave and Arcee. I think Arcee will probably be more likely than anyone else, because they've already placed her in the continuity as far as where she is, which they hadn't done with many Transformers outside the ones that appeared in the movie.

What annoys me is that she was GOING to be in the movie, but they didn't have time to explain the whole "female Transformer" deal. And apparently fans complained about having her in it as well, which is lame.

That actually depends...

If you're talking about the original G1 Transformers continuity, then yes, she's there alright. But if you're talking about the newer comics, they explicitly state that Transformers hold no gender, so she has been taken out for that sake. Just so you all now, the original Transformers storyline goes -all- the way to the very end of the Beast Wars/Beast Machines saga. It could get very lame, but the attention seems to be solely focused on the Autobots and Decepticons, not their more feral counterparts.

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but I figured "optimus prime getting his ass kicked" fit into this thread. ale-59+foot-gundam-robot-kicks-optimus-primes-ass-279774.php

I'm not making any claims as to whether a gundam could take prime, but this is pretty cool and the nerdiest thing I've seen in awhile...

(Basking in the greatness that is Transformers)

Finally saw Transformers (in DLP....drool). God it was total fucking win!!! Even my fiancee, who has never seen anything about Transformers liked it! I actually like how the humans have more involvement in this than the previous. I'm hoping there is a sequel.

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but I figured "optimus prime getting his ass kicked" fit into this thread. ale-59+foot-gundam-robot-kicks-optimus-primes-ass-279774.php

I'm not making any claims as to whether a gundam could take prime, but this is pretty cool and the nerdiest thing I've seen in awhile...

(Basking in the greatness that is Transformers)

Ya I noticed the heros got there asses kicked quite a bit in this movie

Finally saw Transformers (in DLP....drool). God it was total fucking win!!! Even my fiancee, who has never seen anything about Transformers liked it! I actually like how the humans have more involvement in this than the previous. I'm hoping there is a sequel.

Thats what I'm saying!

I only seen Beast Wars and no other realy other Transformers title.

I saw the movie and really didn't understand the humor and felt a 'lil cheated over the lack of battles... and when there were they were so in your face all you see is a mess of gear and tires flying. :sad:

Ya I noticed the heros got there asses kicked quite a bit in this movie

Thats what I'm saying!

I only seen Beast Wars and no other realy other Transformers title.

I saw the movie and really didn't understand the humor and felt a 'lil cheated over the lack of battles... and when there were they were so in your face all you see is a mess of gear and tires flying. :sad:

Did you mean to quote me? Because it seems like everything you said was a contradiction to what I posted. Just curious.

Did you mean to quote me? Because it seems like everything you said was a contradiction to what I posted. Just curious.

He's corresponding to the fact of seeing no previous Transformers to only seeing Beast Wars.

That's actually quite unfortunate in my opinion. While it's almost a complete standalone storyline, you're catching the tail-end of so much.

One more thing I'd like to add: I'm happy this movie didn't turn into a blatant commercial for new toys like its predecessor did. I know times have changed and it worked back then, but I'm just saying the crazy idea crossed my mind at some point.

Uhm, I own the movie on DVD and saw it quite a few times.

And it shows exactly the problem of having a planet-sized Transformer. Unicron's got some heavy scale issues going on with him, changing sizes at will and seemingly at random.

In the introduction, he's shown as being larger than planet Lithone when consuming it. We can assume Lithone is an earth-size planet based on the size of its sole survivor, Kranix(Who is about as big as your average Transformer)

This is balanced a bit by showing the curvature of Cybertron during Unicron's attack. His hand strikes the planet at one point, and you can see the horizon's curve. It's also shown in earlier episodes as well as the movie that Cybertron has a straight horizon from the perspective of a Transformer.

However, in other parts of that very same battle, he's small enough to have Dinobots kicking his butt and looking comparably large. Same goes for the bit where he eats Galvatron: Galvatron's big enough to be clearly visible and easily picked up.

Along with that sequence, it's shown that the Quintesson ship crashes through his eye somewhat early on. The ship appears to be small compared to the eye.

That same ship is shown on Planet Junk, with Hot Rod and Kup landing it and getting out of it, showing that it's quite large compared to a TF.

At the end of the movie, the Autobots in Unicron crash out through his other eye, the group being bigger than the Quintesson ship somehow.

Pay close attention to all these details. Either Unicron's got some shrinkage going on, or the Transformers themselves grow huge.

Unicron was handled pretty decently in Armada as far as scale/size goes though(With the exception of the Thrust/Galvatron scenes)

Obligatory TF Wiki link:

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Scale#Planets

This is balanced a bit by showing the curvature of Cybertron during Unicron's attack. His hand strikes the planet at one point, and you can see the horizon's curve. It's also shown in earlier episodes as well as the movie that Cybertron has a straight horizon from the perspective of a Transformer.

I think you're reading waaaay too much into it.

Do you really think the artists took that into account?

I think you're reading waaaay too much into it.

Do you really think the artists took that into account?

No, of course not. It just shows the numerous scale/size issues G1 suffered from, and it serves as a good addition on why a planet-sized TF wouldn't work too well without obvious size-shifting.

If they wanted a Unicron in the movie sequel, regular TFs wouldn't even be visible in any shots showing more than specific body parts or small regions, even if they had a fleet of warships. They'd have to be pretty damn big to show up and not just be small flying dots.

So, yeah, just got back from seeing it, and while I'd been trying to avoid spoilers, I'd been getting an overall general reaction of "awesome!"... all things considered though, I don't think I went in with particularly high expectations, but all the same, I wasn't all that impressed. Well, maybe that's not the right word. I mean, it was entertaining for the most part, had some refreshing lines and actions, some awesome scenery, some badass explosions, but on the other hand, it didn't really feel focused.

You're introduced to the main concept (decepticons bad, everyone wants to find the all-spark, roll out!) but a lot of the characters added in seemed underdeveloped and not terribly useful. It sorta felt like a lot of the character roles didn't have enough substance on their own. Like, you have the chick and her hacker group, and then her recruited friend, and their whole involvement came down to a) decode the signal and B) get a transmission out. Why was that initial group needed? Did we really need to involve the guy's grandmother and cousin? Or even the whole interrogation scene? All of that probably could have been accomplished through some no-name second tier computer expert working under the commander or something. Even just the girl alone would've been fine. After all, she'd already butted in on that meeting and seemed to show she had a better idea as to what was going on than anyone else. Why introduce a team she didn't need and a bit about her going to someone better and getting arrested over it?

It just felt like the movie could have stood to be condensed some. There were a lot of cute human moments, but the vast majority of them were just unnecessary (the little boy whose sole purpose was to show the way to a cellphone, Sam's weird friend, "are you the tooth fairy?," Sam's Happy Time, etc.). That, and a few things just didn't seem to mesh with me, though perhaps I'm just missing something. Like, if Bumblebee was calling the rest of the autobots with a spotlight, how the hell did they see it through the cloud layer? Why exactly was it a good idea to take the giant alien robot fight to a highly populated city core (full of innocent bystanders to get punted by Megatron), instead of out in the badlands-esque area they drove through anyway?

It was fun enough, had some nice throwbacks to the original stuff, the bots themselves were handled pretty nicely in terms of presentation... but I dunno. I just wasn't really satisfied with it.