Transformers

Maco70

So, yeah, just got back from seeing it, and while I'd been trying to avoid spoilers, I'd been getting an overall general reaction of "awesome!"... all things considered though, I don't think I went in with particularly high expectations, but all the same, I wasn't all that impressed. Well, maybe that's not the right word. I mean, it was entertaining for the most part, had some refreshing lines and actions, some awesome scenery, some badass explosions, but on the other hand, it didn't really feel focused.

You're introduced to the main concept (decepticons bad, everyone wants to find the all-spark, roll out!) but a lot of the characters added in seemed underdeveloped and not terribly useful. It sorta felt like a lot of the character roles didn't have enough substance on their own. Like, you have the chick and her hacker group, and then her recruited friend, and their whole involvement came down to a) decode the signal and B) get a transmission out. Why was that initial group needed? Did we really need to involve the guy's grandmother and cousin? Or even the whole interrogation scene? All of that probably could have been accomplished through some no-name second tier computer expert working under the commander or something. Even just the girl alone would've been fine. After all, she'd already butted in on that meeting and seemed to show she had a better idea as to what was going on than anyone else. Why introduce a team she didn't need and a bit about her going to someone better and getting arrested over it?

It just felt like the movie could have stood to be condensed some. There were a lot of cute human moments, but the vast majority of them were just unnecessary (the little boy whose sole purpose was to show the way to a cellphone, Sam's weird friend, "are you the tooth fairy?," Sam's Happy Time, etc.). That, and a few things just didn't seem to mesh with me, though perhaps I'm just missing something. Like, if Bumblebee was calling the rest of the autobots with a spotlight, how the hell did they see it through the cloud layer? Why exactly was it a good idea to take the giant alien robot fight to a highly populated city core (full of innocent bystanders to get punted by Megatron), instead of out in the badlands-esque area they drove through anyway?

It was fun enough, had some nice throwbacks to the original stuff, the bots themselves were handled pretty nicely in terms of presentation... but I dunno. I just wasn't really satisfied with it.

This pretty much sums up all of my complaints with the movie, even though I still thought it was awesome.

I still don't know why there were humans involved AT ALL. Well, that's Hollywood for you.

Hello? Hello!?

They're TRANSFORMERS.

They're EXTREMELY ADVANCED ROBOTS FROM OUTER SPACE.

Fuck that "sabot round" bullshit. Human beings are like ants to these things. Ants with little BB guns.

"I'm the secretary of Defense! Look guys, we're pretty much fucked at this point!"

That's what he SHOULD have been saying. Then they should have all been creaming their pants once the Autobots showed up on the scene.

Hello? Hello!?

They're TRANSFORMERS.

They're EXTREMELY ADVANCED ROBOTS FROM OUTER SPACE.

Fuck that "sabot round" bullshit. Human beings are like ants to these things. Ants with little BB guns.

"I'm the secretary of Defense! Look guys, we're pretty much fucked at this point!"

That's what he SHOULD have been saying. Then they should have all been creaming their pants once the Autobots showed up on the scene.

And not try to fight back?

I'd rather try to kill a lion with a BB gun than sit and wait to be devoured.

Realism can take a backseat, but not logic.

I can tolerate a lot of surreal situations in movies. I can accept that superman flies, and what not.

However I doubt that even superman would not be attacked by the army should he commit crimes. Most people don't like to cower in a corner waiting for death to come.

Logic ftw.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what pisses me off?

(sorry, to bring this from page three)

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-81092-Transformers-Deluxe-Barricade/dp/B000M69M6K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6770959-4756853?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1186195910&sr=1-1

I had this damn thing in my hands the day before the movie premiered, and told myself; "Nah, there'll be plenty around later."

Now, I am on a hunt; because all the stores around me are sold out.

Damn kids...

EDIT: This was not even 10 bucks when I saw it in the stores.