zircon now out of hospital, ate good food and ate signatures

Smoke

Hey that sucks. My wife tells me the appendicitis is a pretty miserable thing. Anyone know if Zircon's still in Philly and/or what hospital he's in if he is still in Philly? If he's in HUP, I work next door at the Children's Hospital. I should swing by (if that's not totally and utterly stalkerish). In anycase, best wishes.

Thanks so much, everybody! I just showed him the card and he's speechless. Kroze put everything together up until he had to leave this morning, and there were still a few that came in after that. I added everyone's since 11:55 am today - Fusion's was the most recent.

You guys are awesome! :D

EDIT:

Here's the final thing!

http://www.soundtempest.net/jill/ocr/zircard.png

Thanks so much, everybody! I just showed him the card and he's speechless. Kroze put everything together up until he had to leave this morning, and there were still a few that came in after that. I added everyone's since 11:55 am today - Fusion's was the most recent.

You guys are awesome! :D

EDIT:

Here's the final thing!

http://www.soundtempest.net/jill/ocr/zircard.png

Ah.. my sig didn't make it.. boo.

Hope he gets better anyways.

EDIT: I sent mine before AnotherSoundscape's! I wonder what happened.

I had Appendicitis a few years ago, and it wasn't that bad of an experience--I hope Zircon finds it the same way. Sure, you always feel terrible after any kind of surgery. Having a catheter is never a pleasant experience. But after a few weeks I was feeling so much better, and after a month, I was up and at 'em.

Appendix? I don't need no stinkin' appendix.

Get well soon.

I had Appendicitis a few years ago, and it wasn't that bad of an experience--I hope Zircon finds it the same way. Sure, you always feel terrible after any kind of surgery. Having a catheter is never a pleasant experience. But after a few weeks I was feeling so much better, and after a month, I was up and at 'em.

Appendix? I don't need no stinkin' appendix.

Get well soon.

They've since improved the procedure considerably. The operation took only about two hours, and it was performed laparoscopically - three minor incisions (two if you don't count the bellybutton) rather than one large one. No catheter, just an IV afterwards. The first 24 hours was definitely unpleasant, post-surgery, since even with morphine all the cuts hurt pretty bad. Plus, they had a breathing tube in for the surgery, which made it hard to talk and I was generally weakened and bloated (they have to pump the abdomen full of CO2 for the procedure to work).

After that, it got better. I was on my feet by day 2 walking around a bit, IV was out on day 3 and I was released a total of 72 hours after I was first admitted to the hospital. I still have some ongoing pain, and embarrassingly, most of it comes from the CO2 gas that just floats around the body pushing up against nerves. You might guess what the only way to release it is. Oh yeah, and taking off the damn IV bandages hurt like a bitch also, because my arms & hands are very hairy and they just stuck the tape right on them.

Anyway, I really appreciate the card. I really was speechless and just grinning as wide as I could. I'll be in this "recovery" phase for about a week (no lifting about 20 lbs, no junk foods, heavy relaxation etc) but I'm really OK now. :)

Moral of the story: If you ever have stomach pain for more than a few hours, SEE A DOCTOR. Get a CT scan even if your blood tests come back normal. I have an ongoing stomach problem that has plagued me my whole life, and I thought this was just another bout, but because it had lasted 4-5 hours I wanted to be absolutely sure. They did a blood test, which normally shows the signs of appendicitis based on white blood cell count, which came back normal. The pain itself was not localized to the area of the appendix, again, indicating it had nothing to do with that. And when the doctor(s) pressed on that area, which is supposed to cause lots of pain, it didn't. Yet there was something slightly off on the CT scan, and another 5 hours later w/ another touch test, it seemed likely that it was an early appendicitis after all.

Had I just walked out before getting the scan (which is unpleasant, but not terrible) or simply brushed the whole thing off as the result of too much junk food I might have been in a much worse situation than I actually was.

Glad to hear you'll be recovering so soon zirc; I just got back from a prolonged hospital stay a couples weeks back myself, so I know its not the most entertaining place (aside from the sweet, sweet Percocet). Get well soon, Im sure you'll be up and remixin in no time : )

Ye.. I know the feeling. I was at the hospital for the same reason 2½ weeks ago. Went pretty smooth, but it hurted badly before. The funny thing was that I was feeling better at the hospital. Then I thought I could go home with no operation, but the bloodsamples showed that the infectionrisk was getting higher, so they took no risks. And they were right. Got 3 holes aswell.

Nuts: Kroze was in charge of compiling the sigs, but he had to leave for the VGL carpool very early in the morning. He probably missed your PM (hence why we thought an email acccessible to multiple people would be a good safety). Anyway, no harm done; Andy saw it and we can always edit late sigs into the card. :>

Speaking of which... Kroze, bustatunez, Escariot, and his girlfriend all came to visit at the hospital this morning before heading off. It was really nice!

You are lucky. Very lucky Zir. My father ended up with this he didnt think it was anything till it damn near got debilitating...He was rushed into emergency surgery. His had to be the full normal surgery he was out for a month. It was not fun. Glad to see ya back thats for damned sure.