Fighting

Faduger

I was at a party last night. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but alot of people were physically fighting outside. Someone asked me to come help and when i got there, Two people were tangled up in a fist match. Being the nice guy that i am, i try to break it apart. When i pulled the person who wasnt my friend off, one of their friends had pushed me to get off of them. I explained to him that i took no sides and was just preventing a fight. He walks up to me and pushes me again.

Ironically being the cool rational logical thinker that i am i would have simply took a step back and discussed. Thats not what happened. I walked up to him and punched the guy in the face...while smashing his face in....a friend of his hit me in the side of the head, repeatedly.......really hard. So you know in video games were everything gets all hazy and slows down....that actually happens...When i was getting hit in my head from these knockout punchs i decided to do some ninja shiz. I twisted my body put my legs behind him and threw him to the ground. Understanding that i was partially retarded from being hit i took a step back and my friends came with cool heads to stop the fighting. I was unbelievable ok with everything and didn't feel the slightest bit of anger from getting hit. Infact i didn't feel hurt being happy that i'm pretty tough, yet i'm a pretty bad fighter. The guy who sucker punched me overheard me telling this story to my friends and apologized for hitting me....I felt no hate and understood he was just helping a friend....so foes are friends in seconds....

Today i spoke with friends learning that i didn't actually knock him down with a ninja move...i was beat up in need of help and a friend was fighting with me. four girls were also fighting along side which im sure most of you can enjoy imagining the brawl. I got whooped, But thats not what my friends are going to hear. I'm pretty sure i was hit in the head at least 6 times. Which was an intresting sensation. anyways....like kiriokiri and ray falling say just avoid drinkers and stereotypes to avoid getting in fights. Defense, not offense.

Go ahead and share your stories fights....fun to read and write, eh?

I think everyone loses for starting a fight in the first place.

1. Yer giving yerself too much credit there killer ;) But in the heat of the moment, anything goes. I'm the kind of guy that could be downed by one simple flick but that never stopped me from fighting back...when I was a kid that is. It's just yer body and mind doing what they're supposed to do: trying to get the you-unit to survive.

2. Don't get involved at all when you don't know what's going on. It also helps to not hang around with folks who tend to get into fight (so basically, all men of legal drinking age).

3. You take a long time out and think about that one mister. The truth is inside, young grasshoppa.

4. Wrestling is the best type of wrestle type fighting. I'm not sure you should be training yerself for these kinds of situations. Go with self defense but not with offensive type of stuff.

And just avoid fights :) You should know this, being the cool, rational thinker by now.

Having said all that; get a ninja friend like I did.

Also: I'm just being silly :) Good to hear the dude apoligized. Fights like that don't last long anyway, it's just a human weakness.

End scene

I've been training in martial arts for awhile and I've helped teach a couple of self defense classes so I have a bit of experience.

1. Situations like that tend to spiral out of control. Obviously you should try to keep a cool head and calm the situation down but people tend to overreactive in situations like that.

2. Never start a fight, just be willing to finish it if need be and know when to walk away. If you start something 1. the person's friends tend to come help 2. you're open to legal liability which = no good 3. you have no idea how psycho some people are and whether they are carrying weaponry (i.e. knives, guns, clubs, etc.)

3. That's a question you have to answer yourself. I would suggest though, that you avoid fights/fighting as much as possible. Nobody wins, a bunch of people just get hurt and it doesn't solve anything.

4. Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu is one of the big ones as of late, Judo has some ground work, and there's always western/Greco-Roman wrestling.

The most important thing to remember is to keep a cool head because it'll keep you out of trouble most of the time, and if you end up in trouble it'll allow you defend yourself more effectively.

I've been training in martial arts for awhile and I've helped teach a couple of self defense classes so I have a bit of experience.

1. Situations like that tend to spiral out of control. Obviously you should try to keep a cool head and calm the situation down but people tend to overreactive in situations like that.

2. Never start a fight, just be willing to finish it if need be and know when to walk away. If you start something 1. the person's friends tend to come help 2. you're open to legal liability which = no good 3. you have no idea how psycho some people are and whether they are carrying weaponry (i.e. knives, guns, clubs, etc.)

3. That's a question you have to answer yourself. I would suggest though, that you avoid fights/fighting as much as possible. Nobody wins, a bunch of people just get hurt and it doesn't solve anything.

4. Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu is one of the big ones as of late, Judo has some ground work, and there's always western/Greco-Roman wrestling.

The most important thing to remember is to keep a cool head because it'll keep you out of trouble most of the time, and if you end up in trouble it'll allow you defend yourself more effectively.

I guess i'm not the cool rational logical thinker i've thought. I won't start fights, i haven't been in one for a long time. I would like to be prepared defensively for sure, because i know others do like to fight regardless and its nice to be comfortable, but it doesn't really matter. Starting fights definately puts you at a dissadvantage in those kinds of situations. Thanks.

(...)

Ironically being the cool rational logical thinker that i am i would have simply took a step back and discussed. Thats not what happened. I walked up to him and punched the guy in the face...(...)

Even being a "cool rational logical thinker", it can be extremely hard to keep from fighting in a case like this. From personal experience, I can tell you that sometimes it's almost impossible to prevent yourself from nailing someone when they've hit you or gotten you mad - you can chalk that up to adrenaline. Your instinct just takes over and before you know it you're swinging at someone, whether you're a fighter or not. It's good that your buddies stepped in for you and got you out of that; nowadays, it's hard to tell who's carrying a gun and who isn't. A simple little skin fight can end up with someone getting shot or stabbed, and fortunately, that didn't happen. I guess the only safe way to keep this from happening again is just to stay away from a similar situation if you see it - you can't really trust your own defensive instincts to not get you into trouble.

When I was a kid, I used to wonder why I never had any issues with getting beat up. Like, I never got messed with ever. Then one day, when I was like 19 years old, my mom finally told me it was because I was a 6'1" 240 pound dude with 80% Viking genetics, I was the size of a house, and I should have been the the one stuffing people in lockers. I thought that was amusing because it never even occurred to me to stuff somebody in a locker.

I'm 21 now, still never been in a fistfight. I don't know why, but I find that amusing.

Hit 'em when they ain't lookin'.

Hit 'em in the junk.

Hit 'em in the throat.

Gouge the eyes.

When they're down, kick kick KICK and DON'T STOP KICKING TILL YOU HEAR SOMETHING CRACK!

Run like hell.

Drink milk with calcium for healthy teeth and bones. None of that organic crap. The growth hormones will help.

Your training is complete.

- - - - - -

INVOICE

Supor Self Defense.......$99.95

Electronic Shipping and Handling....$9.95

Total...........$117.95

Ever since my earliest days as an impressionable lad watching Final Fantasy and Dragonball Z, I always wanted to kick butt. Thankfully, I realized even then I couldn't fly or shoot energy from my hands, but I still thought I could move really really fast when punching and kicking people. One reason I started Chidokwan karate in college to get a sense of what the human body is actually capable of doing. The truth seems to be that in actual human sparring, there isn't a whole lot of specific instruction. It's still just "get in there and punch them as hard and as quick as you can." Although as I get better I may learn more practical self-defense techniques.