OCR01593 - Highway Hunter "The Final Stretch"

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

A solid rock piece, could imagine a bar band playing this one.. not quite blues, not quite funk, but fun stuff still. It's a bit stiff in my opinion, wish it would groove a bit more. Also, there's no release at any point, the lead/organ stuff is at the front the whole time. The track would have benefitted from a bit of "breathing room".

--Eino

• 3 months later...

Not what I was expecting at first, but I'm digging this. Sets up a good groove. Really like the offbeat feel of this. The main synth works well with the set up, even though you probably wouldn't hear it in a live setting. DJP mentions that guitars are good, but seeing some other stuff here and there really makes things stand out, I think this is true. A guitar could have covered this easy, but the synth makes it more memorable.

Good work, definately a keeper.

• 1 month later...

This is one of those mixes that doesn't let go for its entire duration, which are my personal favourite types of mixes. Especially ones that have a lot of interesting aural substance like this does. I am addicted to the synth play that takes place just past the 2:00 mark.

While I appreciate mixers that take a source and put a surprising, against type/genre spin on it, a mix like this one definitely makes more sense on a superficial level. High-octane ball-grabbing retro-rock FTW!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

More Highway Hunter. Suzu's track - submitted then under the title "Hunter is My Middle Name" - really provided a great amount of stiff competition, and similarly it received a lot of love from the voters, so I'm glad he managed to get it out here.

My sentiment with it still remains - with the amount of tasteful manipulated organ wahs and involved rock instrument writing, I can see how one may point out similarities to Steely Dan's work; almost as if it could be a modern day "Bodhisattva" in regards to style (but half as long).

In comparison to Bladiator's, the track is much closer towards the source, and even then with the good melody manipulation within the first half and neat synth solo work later on, one can see clearly that in regards to providing energy, Suzu definitely went all out.

Albeit, I wouldn't necessarily consider it a neat mix; I'm listening through the Youtube preview and it feels as if the headroom for the tracks is somewhat cramped, and that's something I noted more with a hint of unintentional distortion in the organ every now and again. Not sure if that was intentional as if it's not a real mix killer, but it may be something to bear in mind (though with the recent stuff with Shael Riley and the Double Ice Backfire I'm pretty sure all is well).

But yes, very good memories of a very fun PRC! Hopefully we'd get to see more of Suzu in 2012, whether it's from judging at OLRemix, solo material or more from the DIB :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01593 - Highway Hunter "The Final Stretch"