OCR01594 - Final Doom "Hung Like a Pinky"

The musicbox really takes this mix from good to great. The atmosphere is intense and the beats are excellent, but it's the juxtaposition of the seemingly serene with the turbulent that makes this mix for me.

The beginning started sort of like a pop song. I can't remember if it was Nsync or Backstreet or Britney; one of those; just the opening notes and the tone of the instrument. Take from that whatever, but regardless, this is a sweet song. Never really was a fan of the doom soundtracks but you've made me like at least this track. :-)

Love the beat work. Relentless and the driving force behind this mix. Subtle enough to be paired with the soothing synths at 0:47, yet powerful enough to back up the rougher sounds at 1:43 and 3:05. Add in what I call the "fairy bells" to carry the melody and you've got yourself one sinister Doom mix.

Agreed with previous posters on the juxtaposition. The balance of bass and treble tones is most excellent. However, I think that the bass line could have used more variation - just because it is a bass line does not mean that it cannot have some melody to it, and this song in particular could have benefited from a changing bass line to support its atmospheric swells and eddies.

I think it's brilliant. I love the opening theme, always gets my foot tapping on its own, then when the main theme is going..

Man, your Doom mixes never cease being awesome. It usually takes ,e while to warm up to a track, but this one I loved from the first play. I cant wait to hear your work in Delta Q Delta :}

• 2 years later...

When I listen to this, I feel like there's a corpse just beyond my senses, hung like a pinky, trying to drive me insane with its presence. Most of the elements here contribute to the morbidly attractive aura as if it was an urban legend or a ghost story or an unsolved murder. Wind segues act like drafts in an abandoned house, the music box sounds possessed by the spirit of a little girl, and the jittery string-like synths at 1:43-2:31 are freaky but adorable.

It lures you in... and then the trap closes.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Very Doom-ish atmosphere and brooding bass, with a heaped helping of mainstream ornaments to make it a bit easier to groove to. And that it does.

For me, despite the variation in instruments/synths, the Halloween-style piano and all the cool juxtaposition that happens with the music box style portions, this doesn't rise out of the gloominess of it's source. I like the Doom soundtracks, but they need a lot of bolstering to become something more than creepy, atmospheric music to explore demon-infested hallways to. This never really escapes that. It's more faithful or restrained than most Doom mixes I've heard here, which is something that should be appreciated. But some small part of me wants to see this go further than it already does.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01594 - Final Doom "Hung Like a Pinky"