OCR01598 - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 "Jackrabbit Transformer"

Very well done, I'm a fan. The snares give it a regal feel, and the synths are great.

I think the trumpet at the beginning is slightly strange sounding with some of the attacks being too homogenized, but its really just picking nits. The lead synth is killer, and that's where it really matters. Combined with a very dramatic, cinematic backing track, and you have a winner.

I do like how you have some nice B sections that feature the percussion, and then go back to the lead. Makes me think of Armageddon or similar save-the-world movies.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that I find most interesting about this mix is how Mazedude manages to give it this epic feeling. Usually, people go for an orchestra-version of a song if they want to achieve this certain, film-score-ish feeling. Mazedude, although taking a more electronic approach, manages to do create epicness by making the arrangement outstanding. I'm truly impressed.

Btw, the synth coming in at 1:22 makes the song sound kind of like a tune from Super Metroid, which works for me perfectly.

• 4 months later...

Mmmm. Nice intro that builds up nice and smoothly, without it being "BAM song." Instruments appear into the mix nicely. Very interesting melody. I love this kind, it doesn't have a set ryhthm; it moves and changes. Percussion is very well done as well.

I must have accidentally deleted this (I was looking for it and couldn't find it), because I know I would not have purposely deleted it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a lot here that I connect to red brinstar. Nothing wrong with that. :D

This is an epic, well paced remix. An interesting blend of orchestral and synth sounds. Feels a little thin, lacking in the bass department, and it gets a bit repetitive, but the track keeps moving, changing. For something 6:20, it doesn't feel that long.

Mazedude is, hands down, one of the best remixers around. Still working in trackers (if I'm not missing something) and still putting out all of these fantastic arrangements.

While "real" instruments like these sound very fake it doesn't take away much from the piece as a whole. Mainly because the arrangement kicks ass and most other instruments work very well. Props on bringing some Jazz Jackrabbit-action our way.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Solid mix. The drums really give the feel of that good ol' American pride (I'm Australian, so I wouldn't know :<). The symphonic and electronic combination hits perfectly in sync here. The whole feel of the song is something I'd probably expect from a film score, albeit mixed with electronic, or a Metroid Track, but that's just me.

A definite must download.

• 6 months later...

It took me a pretty long while to identify the song this was based on - I suppose because it's been something like 8 years since I last played Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Once I did recall the source, however, this instantly became one of my favorites.

Well... It's been one of my favorites since I first heard it just because it's so bloody epic, but still, my point stands. :tomatoface:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, I haven't heard this in ages. I used to listen to this all the time for its full sound, prominent percussion and gratuitous arrangement.

Relistening to it now, I can totally see why this was a favourite of mine.

Not much I can add in retrospect that others already haven't. That trumpet is dodgy, but it's out of the picture quite quickly and everything else sounds fantastic to me today. All in all, an excellent reminder why Mazedude was and still is one of the best.

This was a blast to fall in love with again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01598 - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 "Jackrabbit Transformer"