OCR00769 - Zelda II "The Temple Revisited"

orkybash

First of all, good song selection. Song selection is an important part of the process...you pick a bad song, it wouldn't make a difference how good you were, right? Right. So there's that. Then there's the remix itself...I felt the remixer did a very good job, staying close to the original format but enough to give it a remix zest to it. Remixes are, for the most part, meant to make things not only interesting, but to try and IMPROVE on the original.

And I think this reviewer, who, in my mind seems loaded with talent and potential, did an excellent job with.

This is a great remix, which deserves more appreciation than was given in the initial review which seemed to suggest it barely made the cut ...

From what I can hear, it takes the original Zelda 2 Temple Theme and adds to it quite nicely ... I'm not a musician to add more detailed info ...

It plays well all the way through, but at the end the song just cuts off abruptly ... making me wish it was a minute longer ...

In my opinion people should do more Link's Adventure remixes.

Mind peeps... i'm a lurker, and this is only my second post.

with that out of the way

this remix sounds too low to me. Something needs to be louder in terms of trebel methinks. It doesn't stand out enough. This is something though i might cue up in the background while working on stuff though.

I do like the straight forwardness it keeps to the original track.

~poof~

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of this. Not very much was arranged here. A couple instruments slightly shuffled and a reverbed beat added. I almost prefer the original better because I felt energy from it. Maybe I'm just biased because there have been a couple others of this same tune, most notably my favorite "Temple Trance" by bLind.

Im also in the camp that thinks this is not as good as many of the other submissions to this site: I dont think I would want to put this on a cd, as it sort of drags. There isn't quite as much *feeling* as the original, and I would prefer nintendos orchestrated version for SSBM over this one...

I dont think updating a song without a solid basis in theme or execution makes a good remix, and this is very ho-hum in those regards. Not recommended

For all you guys who think my remix sounds like crap I must defend myself by saying, I'm not a musician.

Back in 1998-1999 I wanted to "improve" some of my favourite commodore 64 tunes and ended up using an old .mod program called Fast Tracker II. All of the remixes I have done can more accuratly be seen as experiments and not as compositions. I always had great ideas how to arrange certain tunes, but I didn't always know how to do it. And of course FT2 is not the best program to do music with...

Thanx to all of you who actually liked this "experiment".

// Cimarron

I`ve downloaded all of these remixes of Zelda 2 which has, in my own and apperantely a few others who`ve written here, an extremely beautiful soundtrack!

I think this one is the best of the remixes done so far for Zelda 2 but that`s just my opinion you know, the rest of you can think whatever ya like ;)

I'm one that like's too listen to hard, high-quality sound efects so this isn't really my kind of remix, but I'm sure it could find it's way into many other hearts. I do like the percussion part quite a bit. "boom boom *clap*" yeeeah. 6.5 out of 10.

• 3 months later...

I ran the ultimate VG-remix test - I went into one of the Zelda 2 temples and played through muted with this music playing. It... is good. The drums definitely strengthen the song. *boom... boom shick.... boom... boom shick...* Doesn't pass with so many flying colors on this test as Batman Music of Funk, but the enemies seemed somehow more threatening, the dungeons more imposing when this was playing.

• 2 years later...

Nowadays, this would get rejected on account of not developing the quasi-industrial approach here. Not to mention there isn't anything meaningful done with the arrangement, and it has an abrupt ending. Notice how Disco Dan had his head on straight when he voted on it. Still, if you like the Temple theme, it's an easy sell even if it's only a relatively minor upgrade.

• 10 months later...

It's a good remix. I was just listening to because it appeared the random remixs on the front page. About 2 minutes in I suddenly got the feeling of how cool The Ledgend of Zelda 2 would have sounded with a strong 80 synth sound. (I know it already had the wave and square synth but you know what I mean.) The song then suddenly ended. I had only just started to think the song was interesting and it ended. All in all, it sounded more like a sample than a song. With how strong it struck to the original, it wasn't a necessarily a bad thing until it just ended abruptly because it was trying to keep to close.

My five cents anyway.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, right off you can tell this is early-ocr stuff. Very simple synths and a pretty cover-ish arrangement. It's a great source, no doubt, which gives this a bit of listening power. There are a couple elements which work better than the rest: namely that bass synth which fills out the low end nicely when it comes in, and also some of the drum work (though it gets really repetative). A synth upgrade and much more expansive arrangement would really help here.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00769 - Zelda II "The Temple Revisited"