OCR01642 - *YES* Super Mario RPG 'Leafcutter'

Liontamer

remixer name: alexhhhh

user ID: 15569

game remixed: Super Mario RPG

song remixed: Weapons Factory

I've been working on this song for awhile now, I actually submitted it back in may last year i think but it must have fell through. either way I'm glad because it was a pretty terrible song.

So uh there's a range of influences in this song, at first I wanted to make a Boards of Canada type song but some Crystal Method influence got in there. not to mention this is my first time doing a full out dnb/big beat type song, hopefully it doesn't sound too forced together. This isn't really the easiest song to remix since it's basically two repeating phrases, the only melodic variation coming from the key change between C and F#, so the source is used pretty liberally in the first half and the outro...hope that isn't an issue. so uh yeah enjoy

---------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=smr - "Weapons Factory" (smr-217.spc)

You need some meat on these beats! I liked the drum programming, but it sounded too flimsy. The bassline was also really quiet; no idea why though. Give it more presence.

I was feeling the changeup at 2:03, focused on some unintelligible vocals. The strings brought in at 2:28 sounded ultra-rough; the bow movements were very mechanical, and the intensity/velocity of each note sounded too similar. There was also some weird muddiness going on from 2:28-on where I couldn't quite place the reason. Things sounded pretty cluttered, the distorted synth upfront not helping at all.

As soon as the electric guitar-like synth came in at 3:18, the sound balance was thrown way off. The strings were barely audible, and the distorted synth just gave off a crowding out effect towards the other sounds until 4:07. Really nice ending section though; loved the voice samples at the very end, and the sounds were well chosen.

You need to bulk up these textures and get the sound balance sounding better during the cluttered sections. Good arrangement ideas so far, Alexhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Keep working on this one.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

At first, I was feeling Larry's gripes about the drums not cutting through enough. But then I realized that the track is in 13/8 or some weird time signature, as is the remix. And obviously, there's probably not a lot of 13/8 loops that you can easily slice, so you probably constructed that from scratch, and thus, they may initially sound a little weak, but I heavily appreciate the dificulty of creating a loop for such a weird groove to begin with.

So that's awesome. You just scored mad props in the BGC corner, Mr hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This may be a weak thing to base a vote on, but after that realization, it made everything else about the mix much cooler. The synthetic guitar lead does get a little pushy toward the end of it's appearance, but I liked the cross-panning. I also loved the growling swell that built up to the string drop. Wish the strings had a slightly "wetter" feel to them, but it's still a badass drop.

I dunno. The more I listened to this, the more I'd like to see it on the front page.

13/8 FTW (YES)

Inclined to agree with Jimmy here; when you realize the time signature, everything that initially sounded disjointed locks into place wonderfully. I disagree with Larry about the overcrowdedness; I feel like while things get a bit chaotic, there is enough space for each element.

I like this a lot. It's very groovy and develops nicely.

YES

And I'll thank you all in advance for not accusing me of thirteenbias, kthx.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible! I love the intricate drum programming, smooth textures, and Boards of Canada/Crystal Method influence. While I was definitely enjoying the minimal/chill first half, the transition into a heavier and more distorted soundscape worked very well. I do agree with Larry that the bass could be pumped up more but honestly it's not a big complaint at all. The arrangement is highly creative and interpretive, to match the excellent execution. I gotta say, this is one of the most impressive subs I've heard lately - great job!

YES