OCR00770 - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon "Technomancy"

orkybash

The original is a great tune, this is for lack of a better vocabulary, a great tune. The first time it changed to the NES sounding part my jaw dropped, and then later it reverted to the NES cound again and my jaw hit the floor. Its amazing how well that sounds in the midst of everything else. Great great stuff.

I think that this mix loses some of the harmony of the original song, but it replaces it with some of the most interesting electronic melodies I've heard in a while.

I'm usually not a big fan of mixes that remove the harmonies from a song, but this one is a lot of fun and it's a nice change of pace from my Rude Awakening version which I've worn completely out :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I like it. A lot. My only complaint is that it gets a little too... simplistic toward the end. I like the part immediately after the intro, how it has that air-wrench-sounding thing, and I like the short little NES-esque part, but it could use a little more harmony or beats or something toward the end.

• 3 months later...

I thought is started out kind of odd, but after listening to it for a while, I realized that it is actually a good piece with a multiplicity of different sounds. It is different too, which is a good thing. Overall, the mix isn't something special, but it is different and it may take a few seconds to get used to, but after you get used to it, it is great!

7/10

• 3 weeks later...

yo. gotta tell ya, its a LITTLE more apropriate than Music of my Groin.... i agree, it does take some getting used to, but its a great piece! its quite addicting too! *doo doo do dodooodo dododododoo dood odood ododododododo* ahem.... yes

be smart

go to school.... wait no... oh yeah, get this mix

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't like this song at first, but it's grown on me. It really keeps your attention and gets your feet moving, which is a problem I have with some of the softer remixes and even a few of the more laid-back techno songs. Plus I just love the name "Technomancy," for some reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
hmm not bad.. but I was hoping there'd exist more orchestral mixes of that particular song and many others from circle of the moon like the outer wall and the machine tower.. I really like all the themes but sadly it doesn't have an OST cause it's a GB advance game :/

This mix isn't bad but lacks the orchestral awe of the original.. could have been even better if over tthose synthetic instruments there was a chorus rise.. some church organ.. some piano here and there.. a Samba beat, and maybe some guitar too :P (maybe I'm goign too far lol) .. but it would be even cooler if so ^_^

Not bad though.. wish to hear more COTM Mixes :)

I originally had a chorus pad swell up at the crescendo of each motiff- not that my stripped-down, electronica version has anything resembling that sort of dynamics ;)- but I thought it conflicted with the retro, hollow, cold and mechanical sound I wanted so I ran it through some heavy duty aliasing and it became that "watery" effect you hear in the background.

As for the piano, church organ, guitar and samba beat, it sounds like a fucking awesome mix. Why don't you do it? :-P

Well if Michiru Yamane made a orchestrated OST of Aria of Sorrow, I'm pretty sure theres an Circle of the Moon out there somewhere, as for this song, its not that bad as I'd expect it, jsut wished that there were more remixes available

• 5 weeks later...

I'm listening to the track while writing this, so bear with me.

my only problem with this track is the FL riff sample that starts in at 0:14, while it works well enough for the place, it could have been filtered or something, anything so it wasn't so blatantly straight off the FL samples list.

other than that, i love the song, even if it DOES sound lower than midi quality :P j/k, it's good. 8/10

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

The pared-down sounds are a great idea in concept, but I don't know about whether a mix like this succeeds in establishing itself beyond an homage to its musical roots. I like chiptunes, especially the original Castlevania NES tracks, but there's something lost in the transition for this one.

The soundscape is dry and barren. The samples are quite fargone, and othertimes sound exactly like oldschool hardware. Which is nice for nostalgia-nuts, but that nostagia only gives a piece of music so much mileage. Production and arrangement are also methodical.

I don't know whether it's the age of this mix, or the confused simplification of the melody, but this hasn't stayed competitive at all. It's one of the first straight chip mixes, to be sure. But save for a few glimmers of creativity, it's a pretty empty version of a great piece of music.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00770 - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon "Technomancy"