PRC98: Time is a Hylian's Virtue (Zelda: Oracle of Ages)

Rexy

The mixing stage has come to a close, and now it's time to do the voting. Here's what you need to do -

1. Sign up there if you haven't done so already.
  2. Select which of the two mixes you prefer (obviously the contenders themselves can take a break from voting this week).
  3. Write a reasoning to elaborate on your decision.
  4. Click "submit vote" and have a happy French Independance Day... providing you didn't miss out last Saturday?

You have until Thursday, July 19th at 4:59AM EST to vote. The winner gets to choose the source material for PRC99!

Legibles -

Chickenwarlord - Clumsy Thieves

Tensei-San - Oracle of Shuffle

Inellegibles -

Hylian Lemon - Remember the Ember

The People's Remix Competition 98

PRCv4-20

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! PRC97's Pokemon-related contest had an amusing turnout as a result, and from all this we faced a first win from Hylian Lemon who came forth with something rhapsodic in order to take the prize.

We are still with the Gameboy in this PRC, and we're going from one popular game franchise to another as well. I bet 50 rupees that we'll get four or more entries on this one; what do you think?

prc98.jpg

I wasn't really expecting to win that... o.O

Anyway, my song choice for the next competition is Crescent Island from The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages. I've made this decision for a few different reasons:

1. I think people could come up with some fun remixes of this.

2. Nobody gives the Oracles the attention they deserve, even though it's fricking Zelda we're talking about here.

3. Some other third thing.

Now tell those slaves to get cracking.

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - Crescent Moon Island

GBS (track 4) | MIDI | MP3

I think we faced enough weirdness when it comes to Zelda coverage through The Music of My Groin, so I'm hoping this compo will go by pretty "normally"... or so I think. Come on, it's Zelda; what do we expect?

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. There is no limit on entry format or file size, but length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted at the Compo ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, July 14th at 4:59am Eastern US Time. Alternatively, you can also email your submissions over to submission@doulifee.com, though it would also help if you put forward a reminder in the thread.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. The winner of the previous contest may not enter an eligible mix, but his/her vote will count double.
  7. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

Seasons does have Tarm Ruins on its side...but I see the two games as generally equal music-wise. As a whole, I prefer Ages because of its superior storyline and puzzles, but Seasons definitely made me feel more accomplished, if only because of that stupid Onox.

Stupid Onox.

Ahaha, I don't want to turn this into a discussion thread, though. To get back on topic...

I can make a bonus mix, right? I can't help myself...

Ugh... I guess I'm just really good at those 'gameboy Zelda-esque' puzzles. I found almost no roadblocks throughout the whole of Ages, save for the level 8 boss who was more annoying than hard.

Yes, Onox was definitely a beast. I have yet to beat him with the cursed ring, which is something I can't say for anything in OoA.

Anyway, back to the music and such: I would have preferred the other Crescent Island theme, sadly. Oh well, I have a WIP as of right now.

Yeah I'm kinda signing in here for the first time, I saw this thread yesterday, and after listening to the song a few times I've found a pretty amazing way to arrange it, so I guess I'll be joining this contest =P

Newcomers are always welcomed. It's always good to hear a new style in this competition, outside from the regulars.

Good luck!

Ooh I forgot to ask, are you allowed to post a mix you're planning to use for the contest in the WIP-forum?

Hmm, I was actually under the impression that you could. I think the qualitative comments rule is to prevent people from posting "mix X is better than the rest" etc. in this thread until voting is complete so it doesn't influence other voters.

You're allowed to post a mix in the thread, to show people what they're up against, but no one is supposed to comment on it's quality.

I don't know about putting things in the WIP forum though.

Well in that case it really depends on what you mean by 'commenting on it's quality', since what I'm really looking for is objective feedback in the vein of " You should tone down the reverb" or " That transition could be a bit smoother", not necessarily for comments like " I love the drum sequencing".

But anyway, since it seems like the question in my previous post hasn't been asked before, I guess it's customary for you guys not to post your submissions in the WIP-forum for feedback, so I'll abide by that for now, at least until anyone else clears this up.

Well I haven't seen anyone use the WIP forum in the past. Generally, people work on the mixes for PRC and plop them in the thread when they're done, and once the contest is over they could improve on it for the future if they want.

By that, I wouldn't advise using the WIP forums for seeking for feedback on your work, though there's nothing wrong with sending private messages to people who could help you out or contacting them over AIM or MSN or whatever.