why do bad musicians know how to use complicated programs and good musicians don't

anne amère

hello ma'am can i take your order what six pounds of burgers okay please come around to the front window

either that or you're stuck teaching music for low pay.

i don't know why people choose to struggle and devote their lives to music as opposed to working at NASA or Microsoft or something, owning a large house, eventually working for less hours with more money than if you were hustlin, be able to afford a generous studio, and then practice their passion comfortably. Tends to create a lot less drama.

i don't know why people choose to struggle and devote their lives to music as opposed to working at NASA or Microsoft or something, owning a large house, eventually working for less hours with more money than if you were hustlin, be able to afford a generous studio, and then practice their passion comfortably. Tends to create a lot less drama.

It's simple, my friend. Because doing that other stuff, which creates financial comfort also creates stress for those who don't like to do that sort of work. I'm sort of an example. I got married, so I can't quit my high-paying job for a low-paying one now, but if I were still single, I'd totally quit as soon as I got a job at a pizza place. It's because the money doesn't make me happy. And the method of getting the money might not make me happy either, but having a low stress job and the joy of delivering delicious pizza to people does!

I guess it's the same with the musicians. Although, they all want to make it big, they'd rather be a poor musician than a salary man. You know what I'm saying? ^_^

Having said all that, I'm taking the same route as you, Blizihizake.

^^ He beat me to the quote -- awesome, JJT.

In any case, everyone has talents somewhere -- if you're such a great live performer, play in the symphony, teach lessons, and quit complaining. Some of us are better with Finale and ProTools than actually playing all the different instruments.

I'd be willing to bet that my instructors here in college play their respective instruments better than Jeremy Soule or other VG composers could replicate live. With that said, my professors would also jump at the chance to make that up for them by playing in their orchestras. Let's face it, performance majors; how cool would it be to say "I played the flute for the Scars of Time recording" and mean it?

either that or you're stuck teaching music for low pay.

Anybody who creates anything worth listening to has to have a completely awful life. Happy people have nothing to write about.

Anybody who creates anything worth listening to has to have a completely awful life. Happy people have nothing to write about.

I don't know. I kind of disagree with that. I've always liked the singers who choose to write about completely fictional things. Stepping over to the realm of heavy metal, you can see some bands who like to write all their songs about fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings or about something like Norse Mythology. Those tend to grab me more than most love or reality based songs. But that's just me. ^_^

Everybody has a lot of good ideas here. Mine is a little different than the thread title's though. I don't think the reason lots of pop music sucks is because because they like sound quality too much. I think it's because all those producer types think about when make the stuff is how to make a song trendy or easy to understand or whatever it is that makes it Pop music. You know? There's this kind of pop standard or a pop technique that happens to be all that those producers can think of because the goal is the money. And it seems that one of those standards has become the good sound quality. But maybe that's just me. ^_^

ALL HAIL AMON AMARTH!

Hahaha.

i want to remix but I don't know how to use programs i know i'll make live solo remixes!!

Get collabing with me FFS!!!! XD

Doug you piece of something, just record yourself on the vibra, the marimba and then add your own drums. In worst case scenario you'll need a bass but your bandmate was pretty darn good at that.

So get remixing? :D

Well, we have the statement in the topic title to blame for all the shitty music on the radio. Producers care about sound quality, not about whether the music is good or not. :)

good producers know to keep their mouth shut so that they actually get paid for the work they're doing rather then tell them how shitty it is and get fired.

Because good muscians think that good eye hand cordination skills with an instrument makes them good at making music.

My friend, who calls him self "Skullz" knows his way around 5-strings let me tell you, but that guy can't make music to save his life.

I hate people that think they are all out musicians because they can play an instrument, i think the definition of musician needs to change. because the virutal world of instruments is here. I see no reason why a person who made good music with nothing but soft synths should be considered any less of a muscian than someone who made a song of the same level but played a real instrument.

I hate people that think they are all out musicians because they can play an instrument, i think the definition of musician needs to change. because the virutal world of instruments is here. I see no reason why a person who made good music with nothing but soft synths should be considered any less of a muscian than someone who made a song of the same level but played a real instrument.

I always think of the musician as the performer, with composers separate from the group. I'm not belittling them by any means (for goodness sakes, I'm a composition major!), but there is something to be said for the skill of the live performer that will never compare to a synth, no matter how good or realistic it is.

For instance, I would venture to guess that I am among the best tenor recorder players on this forum, which makes me the best "musician" on that instrument. I will always be better than a synthesized recorder.

With that said, few people want to hear my solo recorder, and I'm well aware of that. Without a composer/arranger to place a (possibly synth) group of instruments behind me, I'm just one note at a time, which doesn't usually constitute a full piece of music.

Of course, I do know my way around a sequencing program or two (ask me about running Reaktor through Digital Performer sometime), and can provide the background virtually, which is awesome. Hooray for my Garritan samples!

I always think of the musician as the performer, with composers separate from the group. I'm not belittling them by any means (for goodness sakes, I'm a composition major!), but there is something to be said for the skill of the live performer that will never compare to a synth, no matter how good or realistic it is.

For instance, I would venture to guess that I am among the best tenor recorder players on this forum, which makes me the best "musician" on that instrument. I will always be better than a synthesized recorder.

With that said, few people want to hear my solo recorder, and I'm well aware of that. Without a composer/arranger to place a (possibly synth) group of instruments behind me, I'm just one note at a time, which doesn't usually constitute a full piece of music.

Of course, I do know my way around a sequencing program or two (ask me about running Reaktor through Digital Performer sometime), and can provide the background virtually, which is awesome. Hooray for my Garritan samples!

I'd be more willing to place "musicians" in a slightly different area... here's a diagram:

CMP.jpg

"Performers" are those who can play an instrument or sing proficiently with their instrument/voice. "Composers"... self-explanitory. "Musicians" are those who are able to interpret and truly able to hear music.

Each of the cross over areas indicates a new type. Where composers and performers mix, you have a composer who can write music that can be realistically played my a performer. When performers and musicians mix, you get a performer who can draw the soul out of the music and find that right expression or interpretation that make the music all the better. When a composer mixes with a musician, you get deep, meaningful, and, above all, great pieces of music. When all three meet, you get the best composers in history (i.e. J.S. Bach, Mozart, Fauré, Shostakovich, etc.).

I'd be more willing to place "musicians" in a slightly different area... here's a diagram:

CMP.jpg

"Performers" are those who can play an instrument or sing proficiently with their instrument/voice. "Composers"... self-explanitory. "Musicians" are those who are able to interpret and truly able to hear music.

Each of the cross over areas indicates a new type. Where composers and performers mix, you have a composer who can write music that can be realistically played my a performer. When performers and musicians mix, you get a performer who can draw the soul out of the music and find that right expression or interpretation that make the music all the better. When a composer mixes with a musician, you get deep, meaningful, and, above all, great pieces of music. When all three meet, you get the best composers in history (i.e. J.S. Bach, Mozart, Fauré, Shostakovich, etc.).

You have another circle somewhere, one in which I fit. I have great ideas, I can hear them in my mind. I don't know how to write music so they stay in there forever.

I can't write, I can't perform, all I have is my imagination.

I think the problem here is character builds - you can't max out both Theory and Software skills unless you happen to roll an extraordinary amount of skill points. So the solution is balance - put equal points into each, and take a feat that would help your overall build (such as Shredding). Also, don't neglect the skills when levelling either, make sure you put at least one point into each at every level, otherwise it'll fall behind your other abilities and be forgotten about.

I'd really have to see a character sheet to help any more, though.

CMP.jpg

"Performers" are those who can play an instrument or sing proficiently with their instrument/voice... "Composers"... self-explanitory... "Musicians" are those who are able to interpret and truly able to hear music.

Each of the cross over areas indicates a new type... Where composers and performers mix, you have a composer who can write music that can be realistically played my a performer... When performers and musicians mix... you get a performer who can draw the... soul out of the music and find that right expression or interpretation that make the music all the better... When a composer mixes with a musician, you get deep... meaningful... and, above all, great pieces of music... When all three meet, you get the best... composers in history (i.e. J...S... Bach, Mozart, Fauré, Shostakovich, etc.)...

Fixed it for you. ;-)

I think your circle diagram is pretty spot on, and though there are lots of sub circles, the way you drew it out is great. GG

I'm a fan of the circle diagram, which was a great thought. Musicologists and theory professors outside of composition would both fit into the bottom circle of "musician" without neccessarily being a performer or a composer (though most people who make a living at music will have either performance or composition skills).