OCR00771 - Demon's Crest "Phalanx (Possessed by Humans)"

orkybash

I really don't like this remix much. Yes, while it does do something very different with the music to what the original track was.. I feel it kind of loses the essence of the Demons Crest soundtrack. Yes, the original music was dark and gothic, but it was slow, epic, organ and strings-heavy goth.. Beautiful goth, in other words.

Not this, which seems to be the Marilyin (sp?) Manson school of goth. Now, I have eclectic musical taste. I have Rammstein side by side with Ayumi Hamasaki in my playlist, so you can be sure I'll listen to just about anything, but.. Well, I just don't like this much.

Okay, this is shameless self-pimping, but I'm hoping someone can do another Demons Crest track, in the spirit of the original version. My request lies on this thread. Read and beware, mortals!

Not this, which seems to be the Marilyin (sp?) Manson school of goth. Now, I have eclectic musical taste. I have Rammstein side by side with Ayumi Hamasaki in my playlist, so you can be sure I'll listen to just about anything, but.. Well, I just don't like this much.

Ugh. Manson just plain sucks these days. My influences for this were death metal bands. The chord structures come right from Pestilence.

As I just mentioned in another post, I'm doing a Demon's Crest medley in a black metal style that may be more to your liking--still fast, but it will also have choir and orchestral parts.

-steve

Finally! 8)

I had heard an earlier version of this song, because I requested for demon's crest remix earlier, and yay! finally we have one in the overclocked archive. :D

I like it, it differs from many other remixes out there. It starts of with in-game music and go over to a hard-rock-metal thing with pantera like drums.

I think this is a great remix, original compared to alot of remixes out there. The game itself is great just as well, with plenty of good remixing possibilities. (If you can take a hint :wink: )

I give it a 4 out of 5.

• 9 months later...

While black metal in and of itself is pretty limiting, this is a very good mix. The blastbeats are definitely cool, but go on for too long. . .maybe alternating them with a double bass roll with the snare hitting on every first beat, and a ride/crash every other beat. . .

And the vocal sample is cool, where'd you get that from?

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

A little heavy on the blastbeats for me, I think it needs more tempo variation and a shift in tone colors for some sections. When everything is fast and heavy, none of it is.

And I think a little more melody would be nice. Production is decent, and I think you captured a good, super-old school death metal vibe, but there's a reason this style of music didn't really get big until the Gothenburg era, and the aforementioned suggestions are all part of that.

• 9 months later...
When everything is fast and heavy, none of it is.

And I think a little more melody would be nice.

Heh. You change any one of these factors, and it's pretty much no longer death metal.

I definitely agree with you, though. That was always my beef with death metal (and that's coming from a metal-head).

P.S.- When it's all Cookie Monster vocals, "none of it is." Ha ha.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

And we're back to the GM sounds in the intro :). Not a fan of the intro, but then the real mix comes in. Much better tone in the guitars from the past mixes, but there is still room for growth. The drums are probably my biggest qualm as they lack any kind of punch to them, which for this genre, is a MUST HAVE!! THe performance of the guitar is a little wishy washy in the beginning but Steve seemed to find the pocket pretty well a little later in. The exposed GM drums were not my favorite and the ending was super abrupt. I can heard Steve pounding on the door that will take him to the next level, and with just a few changes, I really think he can blow it up. On to the next!

• 2 months later...
And we're back to the GM sounds in the intro :). Not a fan of the intro, but then the real mix comes in. Much better tone in the guitars from the past mixes, but there is still room for growth. The drums are probably my biggest qualm as they lack any kind of punch to them, which for this genre, is a MUST HAVE!! THe performance of the guitar is a little wishy washy in the beginning but Steve seemed to find the pocket pretty well a little later in. The exposed GM drums were not my favorite and the ending was super abrupt. I can heard Steve pounding on the door that will take him to the next level, and with just a few changes, I really think he can blow it up. On to the next!

The intro is actually sampled straight from the game's audio. :3

This mix is a bit crazy. Can't say I really recognized much of a source in there. I'm sure in the past 8 years, this guy has gotten a lot better! Hehe.. It's strange to comment on such an old mix in a critiquing fashion. Anyway, quite interesting indeed.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00771 - Demon's Crest "Phalanx (Possessed by Humans)"