LoZ: Time Marches On

Kutrayn

Miyamoto said that Twilight Princess was going to be the last Zelda game like it. I was uncertain of exactly what to make of that comment. Ocarina of Time was the first of a new 3D platform. And it was a hit. Now, they are stretching this land of Myth and Magic in a new direction like none before it.

But is this for real or is it just a prank?

(And yes, I made up the title just now.)

Yes, damnit. I have horrible April Fools Radar. I was only just noticing the date of the video. Even with that I was expecting "old", not "April Fools." I was actually a little excited.

I'm still curious as to Miyamoto's comment on how the series will change...

Edit: Due to the sheer quantity, I rarely, if ever, look at comments in YouTube. I admit I was a bit foolish overall.

It kind of makes me sad to say this, but I hope they retire the OoT game engine/game mechanics as soon as possible. Yes, it works brilliantly and has been used for all of the 3D Zelda games, but everything's starting to feel the same. I just started playing Twilight Princess, and really, it feels like OoT 4.0 instead of a new game. It's the same gripe I had about Wind Waker.

Maybe they could make a sort of spiritual successor to Zelda II?

It kind of makes me sad to say this, but I hope they retire the OoT game engine/game mechanics as soon as possible. Yes, it works brilliantly and has been used for all of the 3D Zelda games, but everything's starting to feel the same. I just started playing Twilight Princess, and really, it feels like OoT 4.0 instead of a new game. It's the same gripe I had about Wind Waker.

Same reason why i hated Twilight Princess. Been there, done that.

I've got to agree with you on that one. TP really was OoT: The Sequel. I'm kind of tired of "the forumula." But initial reports concerning Phantom Hourglass are really positive about a different experience. It remains to be see what we see on consoles though.

As far as a Zelda II sequel goes, I've always wanted to see a full blown sequel. Something on the level of epicness that ALttP had. Sidescrolling fighting would be awesome with Link; just use his Smash Bros moves as a base and go from there.

The game engine is one thing they'll most likely never retire unless they somehow make something vastly superior. Why? Because the same engine has been in use and modified/upgraded/ported almost continuously since Mario 64. Note that every N64 title currently on Wii's Virtual Console uses this engine, and the GC first-party titles use it as well.

Final Fantasy Zelda: A New Hope

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind a futuristic Zelda one bit.

It'd be incredibly awesome if they updated it to a futuristic setting, but attempted to keep as many running allegories as possible. Essentially, keeping a lot of the old Zelda standbys (boomerang, shield, princess, triforce, master sword, various enemies) there, but in completely reimagined new ways. For instance, the Triforce being some sort of cybernetic enhancement that bestows incredible powers upon the users, the boomerang being less of an L-shaped throwing weapon and instead a type of stun-pistol that shoots in a revolving arc, etc.

Would make it fun, given how you could go through the game a few times and suddenly get hit with "Oi! That's what that's referring to from older games!"

I realize there was probably a subtext like this already in the thread, but I think it had to be brought to light, since you could interpret the whole thread as "Toss everything out, make a futuristic adventure game, and slap the Zelda name on it." too.

I'm looking forward to a much more fluid combat system. Miyamoto has said that TP is the last Zelda game to feature OoT's control scheme. Combat has never been a real selling point of the Zelda series in order to make better puzzles and make it more accessable. Hopefully the new Zelda controls will give you more control over Link's actions. I'dlike to know that my sword is good for more than just swinging a couple different ways by mashing a button.

I think the Zelda series should really shoot for interesting new ways to use the items. Like what if Link could lift up large blocks by using the Master Sword as a wedge/lever? Or tying rope to an arrow and shooting it to a wall, then zip-line style across the rope. TP has already started using item combos like this, so why not continue that, but on a much more advanced scale?