Software guitar amp?

Well I purchased the EMU 0404 sound card. And i'm very pleased, can plug in many things including my guitar. But I was wondering does anyone know of a good free guitar amp plugin?

I'd love to have options for reverb / chorus etc too.

Thanks i'm forever a technology noob :)

Amplitube is not free. A few free ones I can think of are...

Guitar Suite

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Free Amp

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/FreeAmpSE/

...and Boogex.

http://www.musiciansnews.com/vo/voxengo/voxengo_boogex_free_guitar_vts_amplifier_plug_in.shtml

Out of those three, I prefer the sound of Guitar Suite. Just my two cents.

Turns out I do have amplitude, it came with the EMU 0404...However I'm having nothing but trouble using it with FL studio...I installed it to my normal VST plugins folder, but when I try to open it in FL studio it crashes FL studio...Any ideas?

Seconded on Guitar Suite. That's what I used for the electric guitars in all my mixes that are currently on the site.

If you have the money to spare, Guitar Combos and Amplitube 2 are both absolutely worth getting.

you can never go wrong with guitar rig 2! a little costly but its worth it! thats probably why amplitude sounds like a free program to me...

you can never go wrong with guitar rig 2! a little costly but its worth it! thats probably why amplitude sounds like a free program to me...

Actually, while Guitar Rig 2 might be a lot more versatile, IMO Amplitube 2's Mesa Boogie (Modern Tube Lead) sounds so much better than the one in Guitar Rig (it's called Gratifier or something), which makes it a big issue because that's pretty much the only amp I'll use.

Actually, while Guitar Rig 2 might be a lot more versatile, IMO Amplitube 2's Mesa Boogie (Modern Tube Lead) sounds so much better than the one in Guitar Rig (it's called Gratifier or something), which makes it a big issue because that's pretty much the only amp I'll use.

ah thats why it didint sound good. I didnt have the proper settings so it gave a crackling sound. also my soundcard came with amplitube LE, not 2...

• 1 month later...

How does this type of software work? I connect my guitar to my computer through a Line 6 pod which connects via usb...would I be able to use GuitarSuite or any of these, or do they only work direct into the soundcard? Also, how does recording with them work (as in, how do you get your recording program to recognize that you're playing through this software and then record it)? Thanks, I've always been really curious about this stuff.

How does this type of software work? I connect my guitar to my computer through a Line 6 pod which connects via usb...would I be able to use GuitarSuite or any of these, or do they only work direct into the soundcard? Also, how does recording with them work (as in, how do you get your recording program to recognize that you're playing through this software and then record it)? Thanks, I've always been really curious about this stuff.

If you're using a software amp modeler, you'd use it in place of, not in conjunction with, a pod.

As for recording, you record the dry signal, then play/render it with the amp modeller. That way, you can make adjustments to the tone even after recording.

That's the entire idea of it ;). Your Pod is just seen by the computer as an "USB Audio interface" with ASIO drivers. It is a soundcard - just not an internal one.

Guitar Rig or whatever software you use only has to know which drivers you want to use - ASIO, WDM - basically if you have the Pod and your on-board soundcard you can choose between these. When you choose the Pod, it'll show you that it has 1 audio input - and that's where your guitar is plugged in.

The sound of the input is turned into an audiostream, and that audiostream can be changed by the software.

to get it to play a sound you have to load a VSTi first. to get it to play back your guitar, you have to load a VST effect (your guitar amp sim) and then select the input first. i'd give you more details but alas i am at school and can't remember how to do it off the top of my head. if you haven't figured it out by the time i get home i'll write another post.