Equiptment

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Click Guides and Tutorials:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Click Mixing for Free

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1468

Read.

What do you already have? (computer, speakers, keyboards, soundcards)

What can you spend (amount of currency in actual number)

Is this just for trying stuff out or do you really want to go for it?

Also, what style(s) do you want to mix? Do you play any instruments? Do you want to record any instruments? Do you have any other gear already? How good is your computer?

No one can help you without knowing your goals in a fair amount of detail. Certainly, we can recommend cheap software/hardware in every category we can think of, but that's a waste of time if most of that won't help you.

well im on a 5.15 dollar an hr salary...so bout 500 dollars. umm i have A guitar...that sums it up...I have a soundblast...not so great speakers. Umm...i play many instruments..piano, guitar, violin, Trumpet...few other unimportaint like harmonica. I am wanting to mix Symphonic type music mostly.. Im runnin an AMD athlon 64. 2Ghz. I have 512 Mb memory(i am uppin it to 2g's in a few months)

Yes i really want to go for it. I had stuff to "Try" and it mostly sucked or broke...But i loved it and a few ppl told me i was pretty good.

I am looking for the best quality for the lowest dollar u kno...anything that could give me a good shove would be apreciated.

There's no way you'll be able to do much with only $500. At very least, you'll want a decent sound card, a DAW (FL Studio, Reason, Live, etc.) and a pair of studio headphones, and then you'd use a soundfont player to use some free orchestral soundfonts, which will be somewhat limited unless you're *extremely* good (i.e. paying a few hundred for orchestral samples will make a big difference in sound quality unless you're absolutely amazing at arranging for orchestra and have great production techniques). That's also assuming you have the time, knowledge, and skills to sequence an orchestra by hand. I'd recommend a MIDI keyboard besides that, especially if you would rather play your notes into the computer as opposed to clicking.

There are threads in the remixing forum that talk about each of these pieces of equipment; check them out to get a better idea of what you should be looking at getting.

There's no way you'll be able to do much with only $500. At very least, you'll want a decent sound card, a DAW (FL Studio, Reason, Live, etc.) and a pair of studio headphones, and then you'd use a soundfont player to use some free orchestral soundfonts, which will be somewhat limited unless you're *extremely* good (i.e. paying a few hundred for orchestral samples will make a big difference in sound quality unless you're absolutely amazing at arranging for orchestra and have great production techniques). That's also assuming you have the time, knowledge, and skills to sequence an orchestra by hand. I'd recommend a MIDI keyboard besides that, especially if you would rather play your notes into the computer as opposed to clicking.

There are threads in the remixing forum that talk about each of these pieces of equipment; check them out to get a better idea of what you should be looking at getting.

Is it worth the time investment to make orchestral soundfonts of a decent quality, or is it better to just buy something?

Like, I'm getting a mic in the mail soon, a good one. And I play almost every brass instrument around, and some percussion/organ/etc. Would it be better to try and make the soundfonts or buy samples?

Ableton Live will probably give you the most bang for your buck. It will give you a solid DAW/workstation environment with 8.5 GiB of instruments and it has support for VST instruments.

But yea like the others have said you'll most likely want to get good audio card first. I highly recommend the M-Audio Delta 1010LT. I just upgraded to this from a POS Soundblaster Audigy and the sound quality is no comparison. The delta smokes it. But yea look around see what tickles your fancy. Visit a music shop too, you can get most of the technicians to demo stuff for you to see whats right for you.

peace.

Is it worth the time investment to make orchestral soundfonts of a decent quality, or is it better to just buy something?

Like, I'm getting a mic in the mail soon, a good one. And I play almost every brass instrument around, and some percussion/organ/etc. Would it be better to try and make the soundfonts or buy samples?

If you're starting off, don't bother making soundfonts. There are enough decent free ones (check the free samples thread for links) that you don't want to spend a huge amount of time making your own. Besides, why make soundfonts if you have a mic, when you can just play the parts directly instead of recording to soundfont, sequencing, and then having to make sure you get articulations and velocities right?

The only really good reason to make any kind of sample library is because there are a set of related sounds you want that you can't find anywhere.