Need help with video encoding/compressing

Geoffrey Taucer

Got a new video camera for my birthday, took some videos with it I want to upload to youtube. The videos are too big, though; I'm looking for a program that can encode these videos into a smaller format. It would be nice if it also gave me options for audio encoding; since the sound isn't really necessary, I'd like to take it out entirely, but that doesn't seem to be an option on the program I'm using now.

What program are you currently using? Are you looking for free software, or a commercial release?

Any editing program should be able to compress your video, you just need to download and install the codec (i.e. divx) that you want to compress it in and configure it via the editing program. You also should be able to encode audio (I'd recommend LAME mp3) in most editing programs, but I've personally only worked with a few programs myself.

Windows movie maker works for me. It lets you make wmv files and compresses them according to the file sizes you desire. Small size, crappy quality, big size, better quality. If you're uploading stuff to YouTube, you can't be too picky about video quality anyway. Plus, it takes only a few seconds to learn how to use. Unless you're making professional video, I doubt you need anything better. Here's a video I made using WMM (filmed using my cell phone camera, sounds added using WMM). I added effects to make it look like an old movie, so it's grainier and worse-looking than the original cell phone video, plus cell phone cameras suck to begin with.