Collaboration

ink

Simply put, I'll probably never get anything accepted here at OCR because I can't afford the keyboards, programs, etc. which are used by most remixers, and which are generally a necessity for good sound and sample quality.

My remixes often only get to about half-finished-- I can come up with ideas and get a good start on them, but I myself lack the tools and skill to drive them through to completion (with some exceptions... I have finished several remixes).

I was wondering if anyone more experienced might be interested in taking the bases I make and finishing them. That might mean redoing the parts in higher quality, adding a line here or there to fill it out, or actually helping come up with the melody and all for part of a remix.

So, there's my proposition...

It's actually a very interesting subject, although I'm not the greatest remixer out there, I could still possibly do something depending on what the circumstances are. Also, would this be like a collaboration, or would it basically be an editing job? That also would affect whether I would be interested or not.

P.S. My program is Garageband, which isn't as professional as many programs, but I don't think it would affect anything to a great extent.

It would be more of a collaborative thing... I'm much better at coming up with ideas and the basic lines of a piece than creating a whole composition.

Also, I use Garage Band as well, but only a demo version, not the latest one, I believe...

As for posting an example of my work, would it be better to post an unfinished piece?

Simply put, I'll probably never get anything accepted here at OCR because I can't afford the keyboards, programs, etc. which are used by most remixers, and which are generally a necessity for good sound and sample quality.

I'm surprised no one has jumped on this before, but you can make a high enough quality remix with free and/or cheap stuff. Lots of people have done it.

Check the mixing for free guide if you haven't: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1468

That being said you could definitely learn a lot from doing a collab like this, so don't let me discourage you from that.

No prob, I know what you mean :) I just love reading some of the mix rescue articles in Sound on Sound, they usually go something like this:

"The guitar track sounded was balanced well, but sounded boring and lifeless. So I ran it through <insert the author's favorite $20,000 hardware effect custom built by Rupert Neve> and it really sparkles now!"

Don't let that kind of stuff discourage you ^.^ For one thing, the judges on this site are, on average, pretty well acquainted with what can and can't be done on a shoestring budget -- they aren't going to dock you because your violins don't sound TOTALLY convincing, just so long as you made the best use of what was available to you.

Go spend $15 on a copy of Computer Music magazine and use the dual-layer (8.5GB) DVD full of software and samples they bundle with it every month.

-steve

Yes, definitely do this, I once bought an issue in Finland (haven't seen it anywhere since), and I loved it. If I recall correctly they even have their own Sequencer/VST-host included, as well as essential stuff like samplers and effects.

Thanks for all the suggestions. ˚w˚

Logic sounds like a very good program, with the nice fact that it wouldn't require me to buy a new computer (I use Mac OS X); now I just need to save money... well, it's something to work towards.

Cerrax, what types of music genre do you normally work on/prefer?

Logic Pro is a great host program. If i had or even liked macs i would definitely go for it.

You can go for a much cheaper alternative to what Nicholestein posted. Kontact is a pretty expensive sampler that doesn't necessarily have the best cpu usage and options for the money. Don't get me wrong, i use it for a few programs and it serves its purpose well, but there are much better-for-the-money samplers out there.

You can also just use headphones for monitors for your music and they work just as well. Just make sure how your mix sounds comparatively to other songs cuz headphones can color the sound since they're trying to recreate a broad range from such a small speaker.

But anyway, don't get discouraged by the price of things. I used Reason 2.5 and only Reason 2.5 for a very long time and was able to produce high quality mixes (not as good as others, but my point is that you can do it) with what i got for $150 on sale.

Cerrax, what types of music genre do you normally work on/prefer?

Well, I'm definitely very keen on lots of different electronic genres like Trance, Futurepop, Darkwave, Industrial, Drum n Bass, Hip Hop. But I've also recently really been looking into doing rock and I've been improving my skills with orchestral as well. But really, I've been doing music for a few video games and other projects and I've had to do just about every genre there is, so nothing is too far out there for me.

Reason? Hm...

Electronic? Neat... Most of what I've done/attempted so far has been some sort of electronic genre, and I tend to like that kind of style. I've heard one of your pieces; "Mark of the Diskarmor." It was unfinished at the time, but it definitely seemed good.

I've also made some stabs at orchestral and other music-- a waltz (Tomahawkman MM6) and a march (Terra's Theme FF6), and then others of undecided genres.

Ever tried mixing categories within a piece? I don't always like the result, but sometimes it can really bring out feeling in a piece, or set it apart...

Reason? Hm...

Electronic? Neat... Most of what I've done/attempted so far has been some sort of electronic genre, and I tend to like that kind of style. I've heard one of your pieces; "Mark of the Diskarmor." It was unfinished at the time, but it definitely seemed good.

I've also made some stabs at orchestral and other music-- a waltz (Tomahawkman MM6) and a march (Terra's Theme FF6), and then others of undecided genres.

Ever tried mixing categories within a piece? I don't always like the result, but sometimes it can really bring out feeling in a piece, or set it apart...

Personally, I feel Logic is better suited to you because you already have experience with GarageBand and Logic is just the next step. Plus Logic Express is $300. Logic Pro is $1000.

Anyway, I have done over 200 songs in many genres, inculding many, many crossovers. Some of my best songs are ones where two or more genres clash with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, sorry for the late reply...

Thanks for the advice. $300 is less than I was expecting. Still something to work towards, but better than I thought.

200? That's impressive, to say the very least!