OCR00774 - Guardian Legend "Hyperion"

Saunders

I must say this is a great mix from a pretty great artist (I loved Aphrodite Oceanus).

This is a nice soft smooth tune with some nice 'tinkly' (Teehee, I said 'tinkly') piano. The guitar strumming is also soft and sweet. The whole tune has a sort of laid back feel to it, until the electric guitar comes in.

That bugger busts in with some heavier playing and kinda throws the whole peaceful mood of the song out the window, but it retires quickly.

If I had one complaint for this song, it would be that the guitar sample used in the heavier areas wasn't as good, quality wise, as the other samples used.

• 2 months later...

The wingless J.A. Burnett blows my mind once again with this incredible remix.

This mix is simply etheral. As the liquid acoustic guitar and piano play, I have to resist closing my eyes and swaying my head to the rhythm...it's almost hypnotizing. Then when the guitars come in, I feel empowered and I just wanna headbang to it...for a few seconds. It's just amazing.

THE WINGLESS IS THE BEST!!! NO ONE WILL EVER BE BETTER!!!

Edit: Oh, I just listened to it again and my roommate asked me, "What is that?". He rarely ever asks and when he does, you KNOW it's a great remix...because he usually isn't into my remixes and he's only ever asked me twice before, for..."Aphrodite Oceanus" (Also by The Wingless) and "Fury of the Furries".

• 9 months later...

I'd just be repeating what everyone else said about this mix if I did a full review, so I'll just give it a 90%. Nice Work! :nicework:

Oh, and one more thing. I don't really mind the guitars in the heavy areas, but that's probably because of one or more of the following things:

1. I was using headphones on my laptop to listen to this, and/or

2. I'm deaf in the left ear [poor me]

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Overall a nice piece, though the synth guitars detract a bit from the overall feeling. The softer sections are spot on however. The delay on the acoustic guitar and piano creates an incredible texture, and elements fade in and out very smoothly, and the balance is really good.

If the guitars sounded better, this would be great, but as is, it's simply very good.

I think this is one of the first mixes I've heard from here. I still remember being shocked that there were other people who liked the music from "The Guardian Legend". I can still remember being upset when my uncle would play this and turn the volume down so he could play country music instead of the in game music.

Anyways, onto the actual mix:

I can't tell if the guitar is real or sampled, either way, it sounds great. The piano sounds nice as always. The heavier sections are also very cool. It took me a few listens to recognize the theme being mixed, but when I did, I liked how it was incorporated. I can honestly say that I don't have any complaints with this mix, the emotion conveyed with the sequencing of this arrangemeng along with the feeling of nostalgia I get from hearing anything from The Guardian legend is just awesome.

• 1 month later...

The piano and guitar sample are noticeably mechanical-sounding and dated, but the textures are what made this song IMO. Just loved the understated but skillful buildups and breakdowns here. Even way back when, John's sense of dynamics was impeccable. Wing would probably bleh on this mix now and note how he's way more talented nowadays, but this one still holds up nicely for that old-school flavor.

• 1 year later...

Offers a great soundscape during the softer parts. Really beautiful to listen to. And yeah, the guitar parts are slightly head-tilting, however the bell sample backing for the heavy parts TOTALLY REDEEMS IT. I really enjoyed the bells for some reason. Mix would have been great without bells, but with them it's GOLDEN. Saved by the bells, as they say.

• 11 months later...

I would have liked this better without the guitars, but they are forgivable compared to how nice the rest of the mix sounds. The overall peaceful vibe that the track emits (sans a couple sections) really makes for a nice texture that I was really able to close my eyes to and take in. This has a similar feel to some of The Wingless' other tracks, so it's nice to see another link in the progression of his stuff.

Nice listen, little short, but a mostly quiet and peaceful track.

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite classic mixes right here, this embodies the very definition of dynamic music, eliciting a very powerful emotional response everytime I listen. This song feels like I'm ascending off into space, capturing both the rocky liftoff and then the graceful drifting off into nothingness.

This works VERY well in sequence with his other 2 Guardian Legend mixes as part of a playlist. Much love for this mix and pretty much everything Wingless has done.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00774 - Guardian Legend "Hyperion"
  • 2 years later...

This wonderful artifact is one of my first OCR memories. The emotional progression fueled by the twin aspects of the gentle acoustics pierced by the dist guitar, the simple yet passionate treatment of a very simple and obscure source, all culminates into a genuine work of art. I will always love this song, and what it accomplished both artistically and emotionally.