OCR00776 - Dragon Warrior "Journey of Solitude"

Saunders

icon_eek.gifWow.

I remember this theme from Dragon Warrior (which I didn't even play, my parents did). Russell has once again done a great job. He's given this piece a very epic sound. Especially when he hits the full blown orchestral goodness at 1:05. Love that horn.

I don't think there's anything about this mix that I don't like.

Damn... I mean... yikes.

This is great. If you're mulling over downloading this one, stop right now, and start listening to it before you read another word.

It's broad and sweeping, yet intricately detailed. It is full of feeling, and dripping with expression. I kind of remember the original music... I never played the game much. Sound technology of the systems of the tiime taken into consideration, but if the music had sounded like this, I would have stuck it out through the game.

Since I've been coming to OCR, this update is probably my favorite ever, and this piece is a large part of that. I cannot praise it highly enough.

*honken*

Wow. Just wow.

To be honest, it makes me think of a movie opening. Just think of it: Dragon Warrior, the Movie, and this is what you hear as the opening credits go by. It's that good.

I'm glad that someone finally did an orchestral remix of this theme, not that the others were bad. I was just waiting for something like this.

You've made my day, and I thank you.

Simply Amazing .... I totally forgot the whole theme to DW and when it first came in at 0:23 I got an amazing nostagia rush (tingles and all!). Very few songs can do that. The orchestral stuff is also amazing. :twisted:

Just like to say thanks to Russell for allowing me to remember the great times I had with this game!

• 2 weeks later...

I love this remix, it reminds me of Orchestral Game Concert stuff.

Today is the worst day of my life because when I turned the computer on, I found that my brother had deleted this song, just because I was the one who downloaded it. I bet he didn't even listen to it. It took me almost two hours to download it, and it was worth it. AND I'M GONNA DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN! SO THERE!

Anyway, this mix is great. I love woodwinds and I love Dragon Warrior.

Keep it up, man!!

At first, when I listened to this, I thought it was going to be just another notch on the VERY SHORT (hint hint) Dragon Warrior remix list. But when the woodwinds kicked in.. wow. I was amazed. This is really high quality stuff. For a minute, I thought I was listened to the London Philharmonic renditions all over again.

If nothing else, I beg you.. PLEASE, PLEASE do more Dragon Warrior remixes! I love the series to death, and it woes me so that nobody ever covers it, or really any other enix series.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I'd like to say that while my Dragon Warrior mix had it's own personality and such, I prefer to listen to this version. I absolutely love how you used the harp. The samples are simply gorgeous, and it was pretty amazing how it all came together. The way Russell uses different combinations of instruments and transitions into different keys and sub-themes gives the whole song a great deal of character.

A brilliant piece of work. An amazing arrangement. Awesome high quality, life-like instruments. It would be hard to believe the author wasn't actually conducting a live orchestra. The mastering was even exceptional. Listening on my studio-quality headphones with the whole surround sound effect was almost like being at live concert. Like almost any well done Romantic era symphony or concerto, this song tells a story, one filled with action, adventure, drama, and sadness. This rendition of the song probably captures more emotion than any 8-bit RPG could possibly hope for.

3 cheers for Mr. Cox. I hope to hear more like this from him in the future.

:D

• 2 months later...

One Word Remix: Majestic.

This remix is so good that I believe it surpasses the original in every way. In fact, a little anecdote to explain my situation.

I downloaded this mix some time ago. I listened to it and it was very good (not as good to me as it is now, but) Then a short while ago I downloaded Dragon Warrior I. I was walking around the World Map, when I stopped. "Hey, isn't that that remix playing in the background in really low quality?" I quickly checked and it was true. Of course I prefer the remix by 1,000,000,000 times, but it was just so interesting to discover the source of the mix and it helped me see how Russell Cox did some of the arrangement in the remix.

As for the sound quality, it's pretty high on the scale. The wind section is magnificento. In fact everything sounds pretty accurate except for the cello at the end. (I am assuming it is a cello, anyway.) Being an avid cello player myself, I could immediately tell it was digital. Why? Not enough reverb, and it died much too fast. Maybe a bit more feeling and "expression" might have helped the end. The ending was the weakest point for me but in such a good song it hardly matters.

When you hear the key change, it just lifts you up and takes you away with the music. It's fabulous, and really captures the feel of a medieval fantasy game.

Majestic, Marvellous, Magical.

EDIT: The cello ending I am talking about is in another Russell Cox remix. The ending for THIS remix is simple but effective. :D

Wait. I might have confused the mixes. (I have some of your other mixes as well.)

*runs off to listen to it*

Hmm, I knew I should have listened to it before I posted, that cello gripe I have is in another remix of yours, the Ninja one I believe.

The ending for _this_ remix is perfect actually, the pizzicato is good.

Then I have no problems with this remix. :D Sorry to worry you.

Wait. I might have confused the mixes. (I have some of your other mixes as well.)

*runs off to listen to it*

Hmm, I knew I should have listened to it before I posted, that cello gripe I have is in another remix of yours, the Ninja one I believe.

The ending for _this_ remix is perfect actually, the pizzicato is good.

Then I have no problems with this remix. :D Sorry to worry you.

Ahh -- that's not a cello. It's a bassoon.

• 2 months later...

Journey of Solitude - excellent descriptive title. I liked "On That Day..." better, but personally. This would be a better song in most ways. Can't really talk technically, as I don't know what sounds to match with what instruments (well, I can recognize clarinets and bass clarinets in a song, but that don't help).

Dragon Warrior was my first RPG, and I remember playing it when I was three years old. All I can remember is some castle I was walking around, something about a... Rainbow Bridge? Um, I remember the boss, don't remember his name, was kinda wimpy looking but tough anyway... oh, and I remember my older brother (9 at the time) asking me how I beat the game at such a low level. Hrm. Since then I've preferred different styles of RPGs, but it was my first. This song would be really awesome as the field music in Ocarina of Time, as Link also very much walks the world alone.

Fabulous composing... one of the best songs I've downloaded here. This could have been right off the soundtrack of some Lord of the Rings-style movie. I especially like the effective use of key changes, that's something that's overlooked too often... they make the song seem longer - in a good way. Every time there's a key change here, it separates the sections. It's almost like using paragraphs or chapters when writing... imagine if people wrote without those?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh I love orchestral stuff man.

And I really like this remix, simply perfect to me, I've listened this piece for half a day -_-; .

The quality is superb, all arranged by a very experienced musician, it seems an orchestra performed piece, more Russel more please! ^^

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00776 - Dragon Warrior "Journey of Solitude"